Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reversing camera Sync 3

jonah406

Have a look in the boot behind the carpet on the drivers side for a grey plug with nothing plugged in as it will help with fitting the camera 

18 hours ago, Khal said:

So what do I need. Camera, plug and software.

Right?

i dont have your car with me so i dont kn ow 🙂 normally you need plug in boot , loom camera and activating.

On 9/8/2019 at 1:08 PM, mastachaz said:

i dont have your car with me so i dont kn ow 🙂 normally you need plug in boot , loom camera and activating.

Well am new to ford. Can you tell me where the plug must be. Side of the boot, or underneat the mate. Or etc.

31 minutes ago, Khal said:

Well am new to ford. Can you tell me where the plug must be. Side of the boot, or underneat the mate. Or etc.

i dont have mk4 so i dont know 🙂 sorry this is mk3 - mk3.5 topic 😛

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Khal said:

The mk4 may be different to the mk3.5 in relation to the plug position or if it isn’t even there (as so ‘helpfully’ pointed out above), but if it is there then it’s on the right hand side of the boot behind the small flap near the access to the rear cluster. There is a picture in post number 8 of this thread, which I’m guessing you have seen if you have read the post. 

If its not there then it isnt the end of the world as you can get a 54pin APIM adapter loom on amazon for the rear of the Sync unit and just run the RCA cable all the way up. You will also need to activate it with Forscan and I’m not 100% sure if it is compatible with the mk4 but I think I heard of people using Forscan on the mk4 before.

i dont think so that new tablet sync 3 its easy to fit anything there 🙂

• Like 1

On 9/5/2019 at 12:03 PM, Jonro2009 said:

I bought this camera

Car Roveremoji2400.png Universal Car Reversing Backup Camera Parking Assiatance Waterproof https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B013AUMV12/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_cSoCDbG47DYS0

And this APIM adapter

ZIZON 54 Pin Apim Connector Sync 1 Ford Camera Input Harness Cable with RCA Connector for Camera Extension on SYNC 2 or SYNC 3 for Ford Wiring Harness 14 Inches https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07G16KK4F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_UToCDbSZE9TEB

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Great links and advice. Thank you. 

I don't have the connecter either.

Questions.

-How/where did you fit the camera?

-Would this camera work/be better/better fit/same connections as yours?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yilaite-Handle-Camera-Backup-Parking/dp/B076CWZ1JC/ref=pd_sbs_60_3/259-3881231-9623401?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B076CWZ1JC&pd_rd_r=01a852ae-732a-4ef6-9169-1b33999619ec&pd_rd_w=PzWUK&pd_rd_wg=uvvsB&pf_rd_p=2b420a2f-6593-478e-8b5f-cb43865ff16f&pf_rd_r=QHBD38T9FBPN329FVKTK&psc=1&refRID=QHBD38T9FBPN329FVKTK

-Forscan...simply download onto iPhone?

-headunit and dash removal....ill do a site search for this 🙂

Lew

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

i have the grey connector on my ST. What do i need to fit a reverse camera. Can i buy a kit or anyone on here supply me one

any help appreciated 

Just wondering if the red yellow and green lines move as you turn the steering wheel in reverse?

Just wondering if the red yellow and green lines move as you turn the steering wheel in reverse?
If you fit an OEM camera with OEM wiring then yes it will, if it's an aftermarket camera then it won't.
Although you can now buy cameras with some wizardry inside that moves the lines based on the cars movements, not the steering wheel, so it is a little laggy

On 9/24/2019 at 7:40 PM, Jambors said:

Hi

i have the grey connector on my ST. What do i need to fit a reverse camera. Can i buy a kit or anyone on here supply me one

any help appreciated 

For OEM you’ll need the tailgate(boot) jumper harness and camera. Along with the boot lid trim with camera bracket. 

Hi
any help appreciated 
For aftermarket you can buy a 8.99 camera from eBay and do the wiring yourself, or you can buy a 54pin APIM adapter for 24.99 off amazon, plus the camera and run the RCA cable to the head unit and connect up that way without cutting any wires. You would need to earth it in the tailgate and take a live feed from the fuse box in the boot.

Either way, OEM or aftermarket you will need forscan to enable the camera

I have oem camera and loom and connector but the lines have never worked even when enabled.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Sorry if this has been answered, bit what does the grey plug on the boot actually supply?

Is it power and feed back to the screen?

20 hours ago, Tommo17 said:

For OEM you’ll need the tailgate(boot) jumper harness and camera. Along with the boot lid trim with camera bracket. 

Where will i get the harness mate. Do you have a link or part number for it

20 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

For aftermarket you can buy a 8.99 camera from eBay and do the wiring yourself, or you can buy a 54pin APIM adapter for 24.99 off Amazon, plus the camera and run the RCA cable to the head unit and connect up that way without cutting any wires. You would need to earth it in the tailgate and take a live feed from the fuse box in the boot.

Either way, OEM or aftermarket you will need forscan to enable the camera

How do i wire it into my grey plug if i buy a camera. Theres not much info out there. 

How do i wire it into my grey plug if i buy a camera. Theres not much info out there. 
Unfortunately I don't know the colour coding for the focus, I know the Mondeo but not sure if it is the same. Which is why I ran an RCA to the back of the sync unit

39 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

Unfortunately I don't know the colour coding for the focus, I know the Mondeo but not sure if it is the same. Which is why I ran an RCA to the back of the sync unit

I can test that myself. I just need to know how to connect the camera wiring to the ford plug. Does the wiring that comes with the camera connect straight upto the grey plug or do i need an adaptor

I can test that myself. I just need to know how to connect the camera wiring to the ford plug. Does the wiring that comes with the camera connect straight upto the grey plug or do i need an adaptor
You will need to splice into the wires or fashion your own adapter.

22 hours ago, Phil21185 said:

Sorry if this has been answered, bit what does the grey plug on the boot actually supply?

Is it power and feed back to the screen?

6BFBECCA-24CB-42D4-8D01-B3AFC9A8223E.png

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tommo17 said:

6BFBECCA-24CB-42D4-8D01-B3AFC9A8223E.png

Legend!

So if using a module-less Sync, power could be taken from here, along with can signals to prevent errors if using an OEM camera, but for Sync 3, the video feed would run straight to the APIM (I think it's pins 14 and 15).

Do we know where the other end of this loom ends up? I would assume that there'd be a 4pin fakra somewhere near the back of the APIM as mine was originally the late Sync1. If that's true, I should be able to splice out of the signal wires there without having to run new wires the length of the car.

If not, and there's an intermediary bit of loom that's likely to be missing, anyone know what it is?

Thanks

4 hours ago, Phil21185 said:

Legend!

So if using a module-less Sync, power could be taken from here, along with can signals to prevent errors if using an OEM camera, but for Sync 3, the video feed would run straight to the APIM (I think it's pins 14 and 15).

Do we know where the other end of this loom ends up? I would assume that there'd be a 4pin fakra somewhere near the back of the APIM as mine was originally the late Sync1. If that's true, I should be able to splice out of the signal wires there without having to run new wires the length of the car.

If not, and there's an intermediary bit of loom that's likely to be missing, anyone know what it is?

Thanks

I had that grey plug in my boot along with a fakra. Some have the end of this fakra taped up behind screen. Mine wasn’t. So was curious as to where it went. I found it underneath glove box. From there is a link upto the screen. If you remove the carpet by the light in the passenger foot well you will see one maybe. 

Check you have power on the plug. For some reason I could never get power to it. Yet fuse was fine. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Tommo17 said:

I had that grey plug in my boot along with a fakra. Some have the end of this fakra taped up behind screen. Mine wasn’t. So was curious as to where it went. I found it underneath glove box. From there is a link upto the screen. If you remove the carpet by the light in the passenger foot well you will see one maybe. 

Check you have power on the plug. For some reason I could never get power to it. Yet fuse was fine. 

Hm, chances are the power was regulated by the BCM and/or when in reverse. Did you ever have it enabled in Forscan?

When I wrote in Luke's APIM AsBuilt over mine, the camera 'worked' in reverse - that is, I had a blank blue screen so the system was doing what it should have done.  From what Luke said (ages ago, back when we were all upgrading our Syncs like crazy things!) the video feed simply gets send directly to two pins in the APIM, suggesting that power comes from elsewhere.

Its just going to be a trial and error thing I think.  There'll be a guide on my build thread when I manage it anyway!

• Like 1

A look in the boot again says I don't have that fakra, and the grey connector that is there is a 6 pin, not 8.

Just means a lengthy cable run is all. Unless the other end of the boot connector does terminate somewhere near the screen.

I will have to do some more reading!!