Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reversing camera Sync 3

jonah406

Hm, chances are the power was regulated by the BCM and/or when in reverse. Did you ever have it enabled in Forscan?
When I wrote in Luke's APIM AsBuilt over mine, the camera 'worked' in reverse - that is, I had a blank blue screen so the system was doing what it should have done.  From what Luke said (ages ago, back when we were all upgrading our Syncs like crazy things!) the video feed simply gets send directly to two pins in the APIM, suggesting that power comes from elsewhere.

Its just going to be a trial and error thing I think.  There'll be a guide on my build thread when I manage it anyway!
I had to splice my power from reverse light feed . Could never get a feed from original wire so I still get a code saying there is no communication with the camera . Can see why it probably won't work properly . It is enabled as far as I can see but never had a propper look. Finding the time as usual .lol

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Tommo17 said:

6BFBECCA-24CB-42D4-8D01-B3AFC9A8223E.png

So if i had to buy a camera off eBay could i wire it to my grey plug. And which wires do i splice into. Has anyone ever done a how to. 

Heres the camera  from eBay. Which wires on this goes to which output on the grey plug

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F283430634852

A look in the boot again says I don't have that fakra, and the grey connector that is there is a 6 pin, not 8.
Just means a lengthy cable run is all. Unless the other end of the boot connector does terminate somewhere near the screen.
I will have to do some more reading!!
Phil, I ran the RCA all the way to the front of the car. Went along the floor, under the door rubbers etc and it was really really easy. Probably easier than buggering about with cutting into wires and finding the correct pins. I bought a 54pin APIM adapter with RCA socket and it worked perfectly.
I took the power from a switched live fuse in the boot and never had a problem.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

I had to splice my power from reverse light feed . Could never get a feed from original wire so I still get a code saying there is no communication with the camera . Can see why it probably won't work properly . It is enabled as far as I can see but never had a propper look. Finding the time as usual .lol

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Try taking a live from a switched live fuse so that the cam is getting permanent power feed. Sometimes the wiring from the lights is less than 12v or just not enough to power the camera quick enough.

19 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

You will need to splice into the wires or fashion your own adapter.

Which colour wires do i splice into?

Heres my grey plug. Which wiresfrom this camera goes to which colour in the plug

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F283430634852
D787EEE5-7084-4DCC-9890-6541EF184A22.thumb.png.95d1db7800ddc37dc06a0fb7b55a4b1f.png
I am only confident on the wire colours for the Mondeo, if they are the same on the Focus then I can help. I'll dig out my wiring for the Mondeos I've done.

As I've said this is the instructions for the mondeo so i can't guarantee it will work on the Focus. This is not the way I did it, I ran the RCA to the dash and plugged in there.

Brown\yellow is cam power +tve but I took power from a fuse in the boot.

Brown\violet is video picture -tve

White\yellow is video picture +tve

19 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

As I've said this is the instructions for the mondeo so i can't guarantee it will work on the Focus. This is not the way I did it, I ran the RCA to the dash and plugged in there.

Brown\yellow is cam power +tve but I took power from a fuse in the boot.

Brown\violet is video picture -tve

White\yellow is video picture +tve

So if i power mine from fuse box and join the rca wires to my plug I should get reverse camera working

could I potentially have the harness that plugs into my grey plug be tied up in the boot loom and just a matter of plugging it in and joining to a camera?

So if i power mine from fuse box and join the rca wires to my plug I should get reverse camera working

could I potentially have the harness that plugs into my grey plug be tied up in the boot loom and just a matter of plugging it in and joining to a camera?
I doubt you will have anything you can just plug an RCA cable into.

I bought this APIM adapter and ran the RCA connector to it. Took power from the fuse box, earthed it to a nut on the rear washer motor and activated the service using Forscan.

ZIZON 54 Pin Apim Connector Sync 1 Ford Camera Input Harness Cable with RCA Connector for Camera Extension on SYNC 2 or SYNC 3 for Ford Wiring Harness https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07G16KK4F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_qFM1AQ4x9ExcL

53 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

I doubt you will have anything you can just plug an RCA cable into.

I bought this APIM adapter and ran the RCA connector to it. Took power from the fuse box, earthed it to a nut on the rear washer motor and activated the service using Forscan.

ZIZON 54 Pin Apim Connector Sync 1 Ford Camera Input Harness Cable with RCA Connector for Camera Extension on SYNC 2 or SYNC 3 for Ford Wiring Harness https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07G16KK4F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_qFM1AQ4x9ExcL

I might end up going down this route. Just keep hearing about this grey plug and using it to hook up reverse cam but not much info out there to do it. 

• Like 1

I might end up going down this route. Just keep hearing about this grey plug and using it to hook up reverse cam but not much info out there to do it. 
I think the plug is only useful if you are going to fit an OEM camera. My install is as clean as a whistle and works as it should. As with any aftermarket camera you do not get the active steering lines or zoom function but the way it works otherwise is completely flawless.

Yeah all that cable is is an extension with an RCA socket wired into pins 14 and 15. Handy, I suppose but possible to wire directly into the plug if you have spare pins.

Actually I guess that loom might save quite a bit of hassle...

Yeah all that cable is is an extension with an RCA socket wired into pins 14 and 15. Handy, I suppose but possible to wire directly into the plug if you have spare pins.
Actually I guess that loom might save quite a bit of hassle...
Yeah, that was the reason for me doing it this way. Took away a lot of messing about and saved a great deal of time and bead scratching.

18 hours ago, Phil21185 said:

Hm, chances are the power was regulated by the BCM and/or when in reverse. Did you ever have it enabled in Forscan?

When I wrote in Luke's APIM AsBuilt over mine, the camera 'worked' in reverse - that is, I had a blank blue screen so the system was doing what it should have done.  From what Luke said (ages ago, back when we were all upgrading our Syncs like crazy things!) the video feed simply gets send directly to two pins in the APIM, suggesting that power comes from elsewhere.

Its just going to be a trial and error thing I think.  There'll be a guide on my build thread when I manage it anyway!

Yes mate. Just got a blue screen as if camera wasn’t there. Plug in aftermarket and it worked straight away. Forscan shows IPM but with DTCs can’t read. Guessing as no power to it. 

so if you’ve got no fakra and 2 extra pins in your plug im guessing them extra 2 go to your APIM 14/15 and the wiring is for the newer camera without module ? 

34 minutes ago, Jambors said:

Thats Right over my head mate😂😂

If fitting aftermarket camera. Just buy a RCA cable long enough to go from boot to screen. And run the cable in your self. And take power from reverse light 

4 minutes ago, Tommo17 said:

If fitting aftermarket camera. Just buy a RCA cable long enough to go from boot to screen. And run the cable in your self. And take power from reverse light 

Do i need one of these aswell?

208C0310-1A29-4F36-A7C6-3C8C0A915DB9.png

9 minutes ago, Jambors said:

Do i need one of these aswell?

208C0310-1A29-4F36-A7C6-3C8C0A915DB9.png

Yes mate. That’s what I got. Then ran the long RCA cable from the boot handle I replaced with a built in camera.  Got power and ground from light cluster then activated with focccuss 

8 minutes ago, Tommo17 said:

Yes mate. That’s what I got. Then ran the long RCA cable from the boot handle I replaced with a built in camera.  Got power and ground from light cluster then activated with focccuss 

I take it you don’t have the parking lines

do you still get the beeping when you get close to things

12 minutes ago, Jambors said:

I take it you don’t have the parking lines

do you still get the beeping when you get close to things

I get the fixed blue green yellow and red lines. But no steering angle lines since it’s not an original camera. I’ve got park pilot displayed in top corner. To be honest the sensors beep like crazy but can get the car against something 1mm away using just the camera. Pretty impressed to be honest. Camera is much more affective than the sensors. 

722B5924-6679-4279-B98A-E4CABCD54097.jpeg

1 hour ago, Tommo17 said:

I get the fixed blue green yellow and red lines. But no steering angle lines since it’s not an original camera. I’ve got park pilot displayed in top corner. To be honest the sensors beep like crazy but can get the car against something 1mm away using just the camera. Pretty impressed to be honest. Camera is much more affective than the sensors. 

722B5924-6679-4279-B98A-E4CABCD54097.jpeg

Looks really good that. What camera do you have?

Looks really good that. What camera do you have?
I have this camera and the wiring harness I linked to, works the same.

You can get aftermarket cameras that will do the active steering lines too, they work off some kind of gyroscope\accellarometer in the camera. There is a little delay for the lines to move but they are pretty accurate.

Car Rover[emoji2400] Universal Car... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B013AUMV12?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share