Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New ECU or new car?

calllumallan

Hello everyone,

here is my current dilemma with my 2011 mk2.5. I’ve been told that getting the ECU reconditioned could prevent this. When the car goes into this ‘mode’ it affects the central locking, dashboard cluster, radio and even the indicators by resetting itself constantly. However it doesn’t affect the use of the speedometer, Rev counter, electric fan and heating, and wipers. The battery puts out 12v and 14v when charging. Am I looking a a new ECU? This usually happens when the car is cold and sorts itself out once the engine has heated up. Will attach video when it uploads. 

Have you had the car checked by a proper diagonstics tech? And which ECU have you been advised to have reconditioned? 

I would say its the body control module ( fuse box behind glovebox) that need looking at, as that controls all the inside ie door locks, mirrors,clock ,speedo, lighting etc

Prone for water ingress causing all sorts of problems 

• Like 1

Without seeing if there are any codes, its difficult to say whats wrong from the video, my initial reaction was that it was the IC itself thats nackard, its a relatively common problem on the Focus. 

But its the backlighting on the ACM flicking thats got me wondering, it curiously isnt flicking on the HVAC or on the IC. I dont have the focus wiring to hand but the Mondeo wiring doesn't have any physical connection between the IC and the ACM other than through the CAN BUS and the power supply / Grounding but pretty much everyting does physically connect to the BCM

Before you start replacing modules id want to know the wiring is ok first. 

You have lights indicating problems with the PCM (Temp vanishes), RCM (seat belt and airbag), BCM (its a bridge between everything plus that centre indicator light) and potentially the ACM (unlikely to be the root) and the IC itself.

If they dont find out what is going on you might end up with some numpty replacing stuff at random, basically 'Fishing' for the problem which will be expensive.

In light of the many issues id be inclined to start with working out why that ACM night lighting is flicking on and off, trace that back to wherever its coming from (probably the BCM) and see whats going on, dont let them start replacing everything in your car without them confirming what is wrong!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Dee_82 said:

Without seeing if there are any codes, its difficult to say whats wrong from the video, my initial reaction was that it was the IC itself thats nackard, its a relatively common problem on the Focus. 

But its the backlighting on the ACM flicking thats got me wondering, it curiously isnt flicking on the HVAC or on the IC. I dont have the focus wiring to hand but the Mondeo wiring doesn't have any physical connection between the IC and the ACM other than through the CAN BUS and the power supply / Grounding but pretty much everyting does physically connect to the BCM

Before you start replacing modules id want to know the wiring is ok first. 

You have lights indicating problems with the PCM (Temp vanishes), RCM (seat belt and airbag), BCM (its a bridge between everything plus that centre indicator light) and potentially the ACM (unlikely to be the root) and the IC itself.

If they dont find out what is going on you might end up with some numpty replacing stuff at random, basically 'Fishing' for the problem which will be expensive.

In light of the many issues id be inclined to start with working out why that ACM night lighting is flicking on and off, trace that back to wherever its coming from (probably the BCM) and see whats going on, dont let them start replacing everything in your car without them confirming what is wrong!

What he said. You can't fix a problem like this by playing "parts darts", you need to narrow down which ECU is actually at fault before getting a recon/replacement. 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club