Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus mk 2.5 boot leak?

pistolpete1

Hope someone can help out here..... Just realised the boot floor is soaked. So much so that it has wet under the rear seat area and the rear seats, which is why I found the problem. 

It is on the passenger side of the car. I have taken the rear light off, but nothing is obvious there. I have taken the side carpet out of the boot, and the metal side was wet, but not above the parcel shelf trim. 

All door/boot seals look OK too. 

Now I do sometimes carry wet equipment home with me (tennis balls) , but can't believe they could make this much of a problem. I've noticed the rear of the car has been very foggy/condensation in the past three weeks, and the car was idle for a week but surely none of this could cause a boot floor to have water pouring out of it. 

Any known weak areas on these cars, that could let in water in the boot? 

Any help would be much appreciated. In the meantime, I have dried the car out completely and removed the boot floor for further drying out time. 

There’s lots of info on here about leaking boots.Two usual culprits are 1 the indicator lights as you mentioned and 2 the boot air vent.

2 hours ago, F0CUE said:

Did you feel around the side carpets to see where it was coming down?

The side carpet was damp, and the metal body work underneath was too. But it didn't go all the way up to the light fitting area. 

2 hours ago, williamweb said:

There’s lots of info on here about leaking boots.Two usual culprits are 1 the indicator lights as you mentioned and 2 the boot air vent.

Boot air vent? Not heard of that before..... Where is that located? 

OK, I've washed the car tonight, and checked the inside to see if any of the water made it through. So far it is still bone dry, so I'm hoping this is not a leak, but an issue with wet tennis balls and the condensation they may have caused. 

I'll check the car again in the morning. 

Take out the boot carpet and remove the carpet lining at the side and you will see one of the air vents.Check for water ingress.There is one vent on each side.

• Thanks 1

The very common problem with the focus from 2005-2011 is the boot leak which is caused by deterioration of the foam seals around the bolts holding the rear spoiler, 

Best solution is to put a blanket on the roof then remove the rear spoiler letting it drop on to the blanket, 

Seal using bathroom silicone sealant around the bolt holes between spoiler and boot panel then refit, 

I've done mine as preventative maintenance when fitting the ST/ZetecS spoiler 

This guide should help removal 

5 hours ago, Lenny said:

The very common problem with the focus from 2005-2011 is the boot leak which is caused by deterioration of the foam seals around the bolts holding the rear spoiler, 

Best solution is to put a blanket on the roof then remove the rear spoiler letting it drop on to the blanket, 

Seal using bathroom silicone sealant around the bolt holes between spoiler and boot panel then refit, 

I've done mine as preventative maintenance when fitting the ST/ZetecS spoiler 

This guide should help removal 

Never had any water in mines as yet and have swapped to an st spoiler. There is also a grommet that retains the wiring under the light unit where also the water pours down when the hatch is opened and I'm sure the screw points for the lights have rubber around them too if I'm not mistaken. Also some peeps have had microfractures in the top edge of the frame where the top edge of the boot closes 

Thanks to all who have left comments. So far, no more problems have occurred since drying out the car, and we had lots of rain last night. 

More rain due tomorrow, so fingers crossed it stays dry, and I can assume soaking wet tennis balls caused this problem. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, pistolpete1 said:

Thanks to all who have left comments. So far, no more problems have occurred since drying out the car, and we had lots of rain last night. 

More rain due tomorrow, so fingers crossed it stays dry, and I can assume soaking wet tennis balls caused this problem. 

When your sure there's no leaks you may invest in a plastic boot tray there available in the specific curvature of the focus boot, catch any water 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Lenny said:

When your sure there's no leaks you may invest in a plastic boot tray there available in the specific curvature of the focus boot, catch any water 

Did look at those recently, so may be a great shout! 

• Like 1