Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Need Help and advice buying my first car Ford Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost Zetec S Black Edition

Dyilbar

So, guys, I'm 18 years old and I'm going to take my test on the 28th next month and I have started to look at first cars to buy and I  was looking at a car that is economical on fuel as I will be travelling to work and back every day around 20 miles I have been looking on auto trader and my price range is around 3-6.5 k to spend on a car and I have seen the Ford Fiesta 1.0 EcoBoost Zetec S Black Edition (s/s) 3dr however the ones I have seen are around 5990 - 6200 and they have CAT N and CAT S and I was wondering if it is worth buying a CAT N or CAT S car as one has 9k miles and one has 22k miles which is prettly low and yeah I will be willing to pay the £200 to get the car checked out by AA or RAC if I were to buy it all the cars are from a Trader Adverts as I am new to this I would be greatful if you guys could give me some advice, also any other reccomendations on cars to buy as a first car that is economical and enjoying to drive. Also how long do fiesta engines last for as in millage, I was thinking about going to look at the CAT N car and do you guys think that I can bring the price of the car down if I am to haggle with the dealer, if so how low is a reasonable price to ask for. Thank you guys so much for taking the time to read and reply much appreciated. 

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201812123207500?sort=sponsored&advertising-location=at_cars&make=FORD&model=FIESTA&aggregatedTrim=Zetec S&price-from=2000&price-to=7000&seller-type=trade&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&postcode=wa159sq&maximum-badge-engine-size=1.0&colour=Black&radius=1500&keywords=alloy wheels&page=1 - CAT S/22k Miles 

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201812012912962?sort=sponsored&advertising-location=at_cars&make=FORD&model=FIESTA&aggregatedTrim=Zetec S&price-from=2000&price-to=7000&seller-type=trade&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&postcode=wa159sq&maximum-badge-engine-size=1.0&colour=Black&radius=1500&keywords=alloy wheels&page=1 - CAT S/9k Miles 

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201812103153714?sort=sponsored&advertising-location=at_cars&make=FORD&model=FIESTA&aggregatedTrim=Zetec S&price-from=2000&price-to=7000&seller-type=trade&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&postcode=wa159sq&maximum-badge-engine-size=1.0&colour=Black&radius=1500&keywords=alloy wheels&page=1 -CAT N/20K Miles

Cat N & S cars are cheap to buy but they're extremely difficult to sell and worth very little as part exchange - if you can even find a dealer willing to take one as PX.

If you intend to keep the car for a long time & will cover a lot of miles then it won't really matter too much.  But if you're intending to sell after the insurance drops in a years time it really won't be worth it.

Personally I currently drive a Cat N car, which is fine overall but does have a few little niggles that irritate me, I am very picky though lol.  Personally, I wouldn't want a Cat S car as they will have had structural damage, it's very difficult to check how well that's been repaired without stripping the car apart.  Cat N will only be light damage to the bodywork or engine, or even just stolen recovered with no actual damage at all.

The mileage between those cars is all roughly the same, I'd expect an EcoBoost to last 100k+ as long as it's looked after.

I'm sure for £6.5k you can find a lovely Fiesta that isn't an insurance write-off for your first car.

Zetec S in your price range are few and far between but here's one that's straight (but it's not a Black Edition): https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201810051202424

I think you'd be better off going for a Zetec then you'd have loads to choose from and you can get a mint one rather than scraping the bottom of the barrel for Zetec S insurance write-offs. There's plenty of time for sporty cars when you have the money to get a good one.

Thanks for the advice guys also I have been looking at just the standard eco boosts and the insurance is like 2k compared to the black editions that I have been looking at that were around 1.3k I have no idea why but also what do you guys make of the Ford Fiesta Metal? 

I'd expect an EcoBoost to last 100k+ as long as it's looked after.

I'd expect any Mk7 Ecoboost to last 200k! My first car was a 1988 Peugeot 205 and I sold that at 110k. Modern cars should be much more reliable.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Dyilbar said:

Thanks for the advice guys also I have been looking at just the standard eco boosts and the insurance is like 2k compared to the black editions that I have been looking at that were around 1.3k I have no idea why but also what do you guys make of the Ford Fiesta Metal? 

The Metal is a 1.6 non-turbo so costs more to run and a bit less of an interesting drive than an EcoBoost.  Wouldn't be my choice personally but they were limited so might eventually have some rarity value.

59 minutes ago, TimST2 said:

I'd expect any Mk7 Ecoboost to last 200k! My first car was a 1988 Peugeot 205 and I sold that at 110k. Modern cars should be much more reliable.

Not at all, cars are cheaply made for mass production and designed to be disposable nowadays.  The gov't needs people to keep buying new cars to keep the country within the ever decreasing emissions limits and keep the economy going.  I'll be surprised if many 1.0EB engines last long enough to need a cambelt change, they're simply not designed for it.  The 1.0 isn't even repairable internally, literally designed to be thrown away and replaced if needed.  

Just for reference, the highest mileage car I've owned was 274k miles, 2.0HDi Peugeot 306, I don't expect to ever own a modern car on that mileage.  Petrols aren't designed for that sort of mileage anyway, especially small turbo ones.  And diesels are now too complicated, they won't do that mileage now without a couple of DPFs, DMFs, EGRs, injectors etc. 

Do you guys think it's worth paying more for a Zetec S Ecoboost 1L or going for the 1.6L for the price it's cheaper to get the 1.6L.

The timing chain is a pig to do on the ecoboost. The car would be worth so little by the time it needs doing it won't be economical to do. Even then the rest of the engine and turbo will be quite worn after having a tough life.

The 1.6L ecoboosts is only on the ST. If you're struggling to insure a Zetec S then surely you can't insure an ST.

• Like 1

The 1.6 will cost more in fuel (and tax) than the 1.0, so depends how many miles you're expecting to do and how much difference there is in the purchase price and insurance premiums as to whether it's worth it financially.  Ultimately only you can decide which one suits your needs best though I realise that's difficult to do without being able to test drive currently.

• Like 1

I will be doing around 10k Miles a year and I will be keeping a car for around 3-4 years before I even think about changing it, the insurance is around 1400 for the Black editions but the have been cat N or S but have only >22k miles and around 2k for the standard zetecs that have done 50k+ but they have not been written off, I'm tempted to look at a CAT N black edition that's around 6.2k that has done 22k miles on the clock as its 7miles from my house and all the other zetec s are like 60+ miles away from me for a decent price, do you think I could haggle with the dealer and get the CAT N black edition for around 5.5-6k. 

Bear in mind insuring a cat n/s  car will cost more than an undamaged car. Make sure you get a quote with the cat n/s declared.  Ask for the reg number so you can get a proper quote. 

Also check for a full service history and what warranty you are getting for the money. 

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

The Metal is a 1.6 non-turbo so costs more to run and a bit less of an interesting drive than an EcoBoost.  Wouldn't be my choice personally but they were limited so might eventually have some rarity value.

Not at all, cars are cheaply made for mass production and designed to be disposable nowadays.  The gov't needs people to keep buying new cars to keep the country within the ever decreasing emissions limits and keep the economy going.  I'll be surprised if many 1.0EB engines last long enough to need a cambelt change, they're simply not designed for it.  The 1.0 isn't even repairable internally, literally designed to be thrown away and replaced if needed.  

Just for reference, the highest mileage car I've owned was 274k miles, 2.0HDi Peugeot 306, I don't expect to ever own a modern car on that mileage.  Petrols aren't designed for that sort of mileage anyway, especially small turbo ones.  And diesels are now too complicated, they won't do that mileage now without a couple of DPFs, DMFs, EGRs, injectors etc. 

I'm hoping my focus 1.0 ecoboost will get past 150k , just under halfway there. 

3 minutes ago, iantt said:

Bear in mind insuring a cat n/s  car will cost more than an undamaged car. Make sure you get a quote with the cat n/s declared.  Ask for the reg number so you can get a proper quote. 

Also check for a full service history and what warranty you are getting for the money. 

The quotes that I have been doing on the CAT N black edition were actually cheaper they are like 1.3-1.5k. compared to the insurance on the normal Ecoboost zetec s which are 1.8k

Sorry to butt in on you young people who are exited about having a 'sporty' car, but my ( boring) advice is to buy a Focus with no damage and a simple petrol engine with NO turbo to bust, or a robust diesel.This way you build up a good No Claim Bonus and you can get an old Focus quite cheaply that is reliable. My son has a 53 plate Diesel that cost £750 two years ago. You will learn how to mend small things too. It goes well and does have a Turbo but a reliable one.

I drive a 2L Mondeo estate Mark 3 ( petrol)- very sad but cheap and extremely reliable car, if difficult to park. Insurance £260 comp but the catch is you have to be 70 and full NCB. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dyilbar said:
The quotes that I have been doing on the CAT N black edition were actually cheaper they are like 1.3-1.5k. compared to the insurance on the normal Ecoboost zetec s which are 1.8k

Perhaps that reflects how much less the car is worth being a CAT N? Be careful you're not paying over the odds for a car that is going to cost a lot to insure and be difficult to sell, just to get that S badge.

3 minutes ago, oldhenry said:

Sorry to butt in on you young people who are exited about having a 'sporty' car, but my ( boring) advice is to buy a Focus with no damage and a simple petrol engine with NO turbo to bust, or a robust diesel.This way you build up a good No Claim Bonus and you can get an old Focus quite cheaply that is reliable. My son has a 53 plate Diesel that cost £750 two years ago. You will learn how to mend small things too. It goes well and does have a Turbo but a reliable one.

Which year focus? and how much would you think I should spend on it? because the insurance quotes I have done on the Focuses have been around 2k+

3 minutes ago, TimST2 said:

Perhaps that reflects how much less the car is worth being a CAT N?

What do you mean by this bro

I just did a check and my quotes for fiesta zetec s and black edition and was 10% more for black edition. Then I went for a zetec s damage free and then cat n . Cat n was 20% more!!! 

You must have some good insurance quotes for your circumstances

did you do a quote on the CAT N black edition that I sent, if so how much were your quotes btw, and i know everyone's quotes are going to be different just curious

20 minutes ago, Dyilbar said:

What do you mean by this bro

6 minutes ago, iantt said:

I just did a check and my quotes for fiesta zetec s and black edition and was 10% more for black edition.

Exactly this - the premium should be higher for a Black Edition. The lower premium is because the car is worth less due to it's CAT N status.