Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Telematics insurance withdrawn

Eric Bloodaxe

Ringing round the family yesterday to wish everyone Hapy Xmas, heard that my cousin's lad (teenage new driver) had managed to get his insurance cancelled. Mum and dad had sorted him out with a car and insurance (with "black box") and it seems the insurer were so concerned at his driving they withdrew the box and cancelled his insurance.

So can't see anyone else insuring him any time soon........not a great start to his driving career!!

Oops!  Did they say what the issue was? I know a few people who had issues with speeding on black boxes because of the GPS not being all that accurate.  Things like 70mph on a twisty housing estate...when they were on the dual carriageway a few hundred yards away.

Didn't get the full details, Tom, TBH, but sounds like he's been driving in, shall we say, a rather silly manner generally, so no dispute with the insurer's findings, it seems. 

Didn't ask which insurer - as I say only making a seasonal call, in the course of which I also learned my cousin is splitting with her hubby, so didn't feel like probing too far under the circumstances!!

Hi.

If he needs any help with insurance then please feel free to get in touch. We have schemes for drivers who have had a previous box policy cancelled.

Regards,

Dan.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2018 at 4:53 PM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Didn't get the full details, Tom, TBH, but sounds like he's been driving in, shall we say, a rather silly manner generally, so no dispute with the insurer's findings, it seems. 

Didn't ask which insurer - as I say only making a seasonal call, in the course of which I also learned my cousin is splitting with her hubby, so didn't feel like probing too far under the circumstances!!

If the insurer won't say, i'd ask for all his personal information under the DPA/GDPR. I recall seeing a data release from an insurer many years ago on how they came to a quote figure. "Chav Car Mod" was on the list 😂

In all seriousness - i've been driving 9+ years, have done both C1 and an advanced driving course (might not be a perfect driver but i'd hope slightly better than the average!) and the Aviva driving app wouldn't give me any discount off 😛😂 I really struggle sometimes when companies make decisions based upon a few numbers without actually understanding the full picture (think company van is tracked always doing 30mph down a portion of the motorway and is missing targets - driver gets called up on this and grilled - turns out it's because of the roadworks on the M5...).

Given the current family situation I mention, don't want to be poking my nose in, but his mum seems to agree with the insurer in this instance.

On the wider point, I agree with you, I've seen numerous programmes on tv or the web where a very skilled driver has driven like a nun and failed to get a good score, and my brother in law drives a tracked van and has experienced situations like you mention.

I see the E U are now proposing that all cars should have a "black box" initially to be used only in the event of accident investigation, but I can see the temptation to go much further than that, e.g. speeding tickets without you even having to be caught on camera. 

• 2 weeks later...

My cousin not long ago had his insurance policy cancelled due to the company seeing bad driving from the black box. His parents sold their focus and bought a Corsa to put him in as the named driver. Because of the cancellation his parents couldn't drive the car. Luckily now they can except my cousin. He just says he's not interested in driving 🙄

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club