Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Clutch Slip Detector safety recall

Jay24

Hi. I was wondering if someone could give me a bit of technical advice please before I contact Ford and make myself look silly. I have received a letter from Ford to tell me my 2014 1.6l Focus is subject to a safety recall for the Clutch Slip Detector software. I’m not mechanically minded, or have much knowledge about cars. A few months ago my clutch went unexpectedly (to me anyway). It had been a bit squeaky and sluggish, but I have had nothing but trouble with this car since I bought it (losing coolant, overheating) that I’m used to it being sluggish. It is serviced regularly and had its MOT in July. All at Ford dealerships. Nobody mentioned my clutch was worn. The car has done 60,000 miles. I had to pay £1000 for a new clutch and slave cylinders. My question is - would this clutch slip detector have told me, or the dealership when it was being serviced, that the clutch was on its way out, possibly meaning it wouldn’t have cost me as much to fix ? I’d be grateful for any advice. Thanks. 

There are two parts to the clutch recall.  They physically test the clutch for slipping by loading it up in gear, if it slips (the revs shoot up but the car doesn't move), you get a new clutch for free under the recall.  If it doesn't slip (99% of the cars tested) then you just get an engine ECU update.  This update reduces the engines torque to reduce wear on the clutch, and will also show a warning on the dash if the clutch does start slipping.

Clutches fail in different ways, as you had a slave cylinder as well, it is most likely the slave failed, rather than the clutch plate being worn out.  In this case, Ford wouldn't have paid for your clutch under the recall and if it went suddenly, you wouldn't have got any warning either.  

why do they have a clutch slip detector? is it because ford made car with an insufficient clutch and rather than pay for new clutches under warranty they put a clutch slip detector in there which reduces the power to reduce the clutch slip?

7 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

There are two parts to the clutch recall.  They physically test the clutch for slipping by loading it up in gear, if it slips (the revs shoot up but the car doesn't move), you get a new clutch for free under the recall.  If it doesn't slip (99% of the cars tested) then you just get an engine ECU update.  This update reduces the engines torque to reduce wear on the clutch, and will also show a warning on the dash if the clutch does start slipping.

Clutches fail in different ways, as you had a slave cylinder as well, it is most likely the slave failed, rather than the clutch plate being worn out.  In this case, Ford wouldn't have paid for your clutch under the recall and if it went suddenly, you wouldn't have got any warning either.  

Ok thank you for that info. It’s a bit clearer now. The person at the dealership wasn’t very knowledgable and I came away more confused than when I went in. Am I right then in saying there’s no point booking it in at the dealership as I now have a new clutch ? Or should I take it anyway so it removes the recall notice on the car ? 

I would ask ford in light of the recall - to contribute to the cost of the clutch you had fitted...

and read through this

3 hours ago, Jay24 said:

Ok thank you for that info. It’s a bit clearer now. The person at the dealership wasn’t very knowledgable and I came away more confused than when I went in. Am I right then in saying there’s no point booking it in at the dealership as I now have a new clutch ? Or should I take it anyway so it removes the recall notice on the car ? 

Personally I'd suggest it is still worth having the recall done to remove the notice, especially if you plan to sell any time soon.  It may also help the new clutch in future as you say you're not mechanically minded. There's really no rush to get it done though.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club