Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What battery?

bananacat

Hi guys

Bit of an emergency, my battery has died, been on its way out for some reason anyway. 

Have a 2012 1.6 diesel tit x what do I need to replace. Have searched on euro but there's 2 types 

have a look at the labels on the existing one for the size code (three numbers)   it will also possibly have the AH and CCA on there also.

• Like 1

i might be accused of health and safety gone mad syndrome but shouldn't that Bosch battery have a plastic cover over the live terminal to reduce chances of a short circuit when using tools etc under bonnet and if there is a crash etc.     I know cars never had those covers years ago but I think they are a sensible precaution.

• Like 1

Be aware that most of the Focus MK3/MK3.5 versions require an EFB battery.

The charging voltage of an EFB battery is considerably higher as the charging voltage of a "normal" lead battery or Silver/Calcium battery.

Installing a "normal" lead battery or Silver/Calcium battery in an EFB based vehicle will result in a very short life expectancy of the battery.

Thanks mate, that's what I've just got 

6 hours ago, bananacat said:

Thanks mate, that's what I've just got 

Hope you used the eurocarparts discount code to save a bit more on your batt 😁

Certainly did, paid 167 for it and it's in and working a treat 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, YOG said:

What battery make did you pay £167 for?

Bosch, why? 

Also do not forget to reset the BMS (battery monitoring System).

Installing a new battery without resetting the BMS can result in several errors/warning messages. It also can reduce the life expectancy of the new battery because the calculated battery condition and SOC (State Of Charge) by the BMS will be different from the battery condition and SOC of the new battery. In this case the battery can either be overcharged or undercharged.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

Also do not forget to reset the BMS (Battery monitoring System).

Installing a new battery without resetting the BMS can result in several errors/warning messages. It also can reduce the life expectancy of the new battery because the calculated battery condition and SOC (State Of Charge) by the BMS will be different from the battery condition and SOC of the new battery. In this case the battery can either be overcharged or undercharged.

Yeah did that to reset stop start and get it working again. 

Unfortunately didn't really have time to shop around and needed quickly as was going away today so with euros discount code took it down quite a bit and after doing a little search tonight couldn't really find much cheaper anyway. 

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Ford_Focus_1.6_2012/p/car-parts/car-electrics-and-car-lighting/electrical/car-battery/?444779088&1&e952b8bee01c95f91c62c7f7a69070e9ad3aa539&000020

Yes, that's normally the problem, sudden battery failure, gives little time to get a replacement.

Not always the cheapest, but I normally use TAYNA for my batteries:

Yours there is £128.17, delivered, and they also list it as a 4 year Guarantee, your Euro link shows 3. I believe 4 years for this Bosch battery is correct.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/bosch/s4e10/

I have used Varta batteries over the years, and their equivalent is £123.40, delivered.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/varta/e46/

• Like 1

Cheers mate I'll remember them next time if time permits 😂

battery monitoring system??. when did changing a battery get so complicated.  iv never heard of it.  i had my battery changed by Halfords 3 wks ago. they certainly didnt do any reseting.and as far as im aware iv not experienced any problems by not doing a reset.  does my car have a reset.  its a 62 plate 2.0 tdci without stop start. 

52 minutes ago, michaelburrows said:

battery monitoring system??. when did changing a battery get so complicated.  iv never heard of it.  i had my battery changed by halfords 3 wks ago. they certainly didnt do any reseting.and as far as im aware iv not experienced any problems by not doing a reset.  does my car have a reset.  its a 62 plate 2.0 tdci without stop start. 

battery monitoring is only for the stop start.  I didn't realise any of the Mk3 diesels came without stop start tbh!

• Like 1

The battery Monitoring System is not only for Start/Stop. The battery Monitoring System is basically a key part of the battery charging system. 

Ford uses the Smart Charge battery charging system for over 20 Years now. The Smart Charge battery charging system system has an alternator that is directly controlled by the PCM. On the older Smart Charge systems the system uses the battery voltage, ambient temperature and engine temperature to calculate the battery charging demand.  Based on the calculated charging demand the alternator is controlled by the PCM through a single wire LINbus network.

The latest generation of the Smart Charge system offers Smart Regenerative Charging. This system is a lot more advanced and next to the battery voltage, ambient temperature and engine temperature the system also constantly measures the SOC (State Of Charge) status of the battery. The system relies on a sensor that is integrated into the negative battery terminal/cable assembly. 

Below some information of the latest generation Smart Charge System with Smart Regenerative Charging that is installed on most Focus MK3/MK3.5 versions:

Description and Operation

Smart Regenerative Charging is an intelligent charge control system that calculates and regulates the set generator voltage. The basic idea of the system is to increase the generator charge voltage when the vehicle is decelerating and reduce it when it is accelerating. This means that during the acceleration phase, there is no additional energy demand as a result of having a high generator load; however generator load is increased when the vehicle is decelerating. This strategy enables further fuel savings to be achieved.

The largest element of the Smart Regenerative Charging Strategy is stored in the BCM module. It receives all of the important information relating to the battery condition sent by the battery monitoring sensor via the LIN (local interconnect network) data bus. The information obtained is used to calculate the required set value for generator charge voltage. This is sent by the BCM to the PCM via the HS-CAN (controller area network) data bus. This then adjusts the value received if necessary and passes it on the generator via the LIN data bus. The charging voltage is adjusted depending on various parameters, such as the current level of engine efficiency. The smallest possible set value for the generator voltage is 12.2 V, while the maximum charging voltage may be anywhere between 14.5 and 14.9 V.

However, when the battery is in a refresh phase, the voltage may occasionally reach up to 15.2 V. These refresh phases are required as the battery charge status is 80% over long periods of time, which increases the risk of sulfation in the cells.

Battery Monitoring Sensor

The Battery Monitoring Sensor continuously monitors the condition of the battery. The sensor is equipped to vehicles which have Smart Regenerative Charging or Start-Stop. These systems require knowledge of the battery state of charge. The Battery Monitoring Sensor is the sensor used to provide this information.

Battery Monitoring Sensor connection

The Battery Monitoring Sensor is clamped directly to the negative terminal of the battery and grounds to the vehicle at the chassis ground connection point by means of a thick (25 to 35mm²) cable and eyelet. External customer loads must only be connected to the vehicle at the customer battery connection point. If the external customer load is connected at the negative battery post, the Battery Monitoring Sensor accuracy cannot be guaranteed.

It is recommended that the Battery Monitoring Sensor pole clamp is not removed unless a battery replacement is required. Should the battery need to be isolated, this should be done by disconnecting the ground eyelet at the chassis ground.

Battery Monitoring Sensor reset

The Battery Monitoring Sensor also estimates losses in the battery capacity over time. The Battery Monitoring Sensor should be reset to factory default settings, when the battery is replaced. It is urgently recommended that the replacement battery has the exact same specification as the original battery. If it does not, the accuracy of the Battery Monitoring Sensor outputs will be compromised.

The Battery Monitor Sensor measures temperature, voltage and current throughput of the battery. It uses this information to calculate the battery SOC (State of Charge). To function with high accuracy, the Battery Monitor Sensor must be recalibrated at regular intervals. A recalibration occurs during a rest period when the battery quiescent current is less than 100mA. This rest period must last for at least 3 hours. The longer the rest period, the greater the accuracy. The timeframe in which a recalibration must take place is seven days. If the system has been unable to carry out a recalibration within 7 days, the SOC accuracy cannot be guaranteed. This will result in the Start – Stop and SRC systems being deactivated.

• Like 3

Well, I stand corrected there then! :laugh:  

Didn't know about the regenerative charging on the Mk3, just assumed the non-SS models used the same SmartCharge as the Mk2.  Learnt something new there. :smile: 

• Haha 1

blimey. now theres a load of imformative information. yes iv just looked at my battety terminals and it has indeed got some kind of box thing attached. the Halfords guy said hed never noticed one before and thort it may be to do with a tracking device. so to get to the point.  does my car now need to be cinnected to some kind of software to get the battety monitoring system reset .as previously said i v noticed no issues since battery change  

• Like 1

The battery reset procedure is easy DIY, I've posted it in various threads if you've got time to search but from memory it's this:

Ignition on (not engine, just press the button without the clutch)

Press rear fog 5 times

Press hazard switch 3 times

Wait to see the battery light flash on dash (10 seconds roughly)

Switch ignition off

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

The battery reset procedure is easy DIY, I've posted it in various threads if you've got time to search but from memory it's this:

Ignition on (not engine, just press the button without the clutch)

Press rear fog 5 times

Press rear demister 3 times

Wait to see the battery light flash on dash (10 seconds roughly)

Switch ignition off

Its hazards lights 3 times mate

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bananacat said:

Its hazards lights 3 times mate

Oops, you're right, I've edited it now! :biggrin:  

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club