Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK2.5 1.8TDCI Power Steering

isetta

My brother recently got a Dec 2008 (date of manufacture on Ford Etis)  MK2.5  1.8TDCI  Estate.

I was reading the handbook. It talks about checking power steering fluid but then says you don't need to check it on 1.8tdci.

Can someone enlighten me on exactly what the power steering set up is on this car.  I assume it is electric then but there are various different electric power steering setups on different cars.  If anyone knows please let me know.  When things go wrong on cars of my family members they always use me as first port of call so I like to have some idea of how they work.

Difficult to see what's what under the bonnet

Thanks

If I'm not mistaken it is electric power steering. The pump should be behind the front bumper under the driver side head light

I'm confused, if it has a pump  or   it is hydraulic (or both)  then it would need power steering fluid wouldn't it and hence need the level checking sometimes?

The types I am familiar with:

belt driven hydraulic pump which pumps fluid to rack (eg. Fiesta Mk6  1.4tdci)

Electric pump which pumps fluid to rack (eg. my old 2007 Fiesta 1.6tdci)

Electric assistance built into steering column under the dashboard eg. Fiesta Mk7 (2008-2017 roughly)  (no fluid)

Electric assistance built into rack  (no fluid) 

The annoying thing about car handbooks is they try to cover every variation in the one handbook so 75% or more of what is in there does not apply to the owner's actual car.

Or is the handbook just wrong where it talks about checking power steering fluid but then says you don't need to check it on 1.8tdci.

I'm confused, if it has a pump  or   it is hydraulic (or both)  then it would need power steering fluid wouldn't it and hence need the level checking sometimes?
The types I am familiar with:
belt driven hydraulic pump which pumps fluid to rack (eg. Fiesta Mk6  1.4tdci)
Electric pump which pumps fluid to rack (eg. my old 2007 Fiesta 1.6tdci)
Electric assistance built into steering column under the dashboard eg. Fiesta Mk7 (2008-2017 roughly)  (no fluid)
Electric assistance built into rack  (no fluid) 
The annoying thing about car handbooks is they try to cover every variation in the one handbook so 75% or more of what is in there does not apply to the owner's actual car.
Or is the handbook just wrong where it talks about checking power steering fluid but then says you don't need to check it on 1.8tdci.

It has the electric hydraulic pump behind the front bumper with reservoir on top. 7a135798ba019b1510788c99a5f85338.jpg

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

OK thanks. I guess the handbook does away with mentioning checking the fluid level as it's difficult to do. Strange philosophy by Ford. If it's difficult to check we'll tell the owners there is no need to check it and not show them where it is. But at least I now know.

There should be no need to ever check the level.  If topped up with the wrong fluid it'll wreck the pump...best not letting customers near it! :laugh:

It is directly underneath the driver's side headlamp so can be accessed by jury removing the lamp.

• Like 1

headlamp removal on a mk2 is one screw and two clips u poke with a screwdriver.... easier headlight I ever removed.... should take less than 45 seconds to have it out (that's doing it slowly and carefully)

at an owner u should have had them off about 50 times already swapping forever popping headlamp bulbs

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When I bought my MK2 people kept saying 'Ha, have fun changing the headlight bulbs every week'...  I literally only blew a single sidelight bulb in 3.5 years ownership! :laugh:

Had more DPFs than bulbs! :rolleyes:

I did have xenon's though...I wonder if it's just the halogens that keep popping! :unsure:

I must have fitted more than 10 sets and my sister who had it be for me about the same - all halogens

since putting in 20w LEDs (still working 18 months on) with the lights completely off they actually flash for a split second every time you crank the engine. still the same with a later GEM and auto lights fitted (in off position)

• Confused 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club