Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ecu location

martyntdci

hi all, ive got a 1.8tdci on a 2008 plate. could anybody tell me where the ecu location is please. is it a ecu or a pcm? as it recently got wrote off and I purchased it back for pittance whilst it was at the assessors somebody has tampered with it. I have different codes coming up, bcm, cluster, and other codes. drove perfect on the way, left in for 3 weeks drove home all good. went work down local carridgeway engine malfunction came on, car lost all power, locked up refused to start. cleared codes and looped terminals together car restarted and got it home. now everytime it starts engine malfunction comes on with codes pointing to cluster and body control module. any ideas? is this a ecu fault?

All of the modules are ECUs.  The PCM is the engine ECU.

I guess it's in the same place as the 1.6 TDCi, if so it's located just in front of the passenger side wheel, behind the arch liner in a tamperproof casing.

What are the exact codes you're getting? 

u0140. u0155. and others but didn't write these down.

oh one was a cam sensor which has been replaced

here are the list of codes pulled from the onboard test, a286, d900, d147, e510, 5750, looped the car terminals again so ecu cleared, and these got bought up on start up earlier today. anybody who is electrical savvy have any ideas? I've had a look and cannot find these. I can find p's, u's, c's. b's not anything else. please help..... thanks

not listed on there any of them..... there are all p's which I can find. but thanks anyway

a286 mode switch sticking?

e510 converts to U2510 Missing or invalid security data to PCM?

D900 is a communication interruption? this is permanent will not remove

nothing on d147 or 5750. the 5750 does not have any letter before it just the number.

38 minutes ago, martyntdci said:

not listed on there any of them..... there are all p's which I can find. but thanks anyway

Some of them were further down the thread.

I have found some of them, but still no wiser on what the issue could be.

The dash clocks don't produce proper fault codes.  Only codes relating to the clocks themselves. 

You really need to have the codes read with some sort of diagnostic, preferably Forscan but at the very least a generic code reader.

would this mean that I have a issue with the cluster? as atm its very dangerous to drive, it can loose all power to everything and just lock up at any time

The instrument cluster only displays a limited number of fault codes. however these are no proper DTC codes. The instrument cluster fault codes need to be converted to DTC codes first to be useful. Converting the instrument cluster fault codes to DTC codes can be done on the Ford Etis website (this function requires an account as an independent user). However the DTC functionality on the Etis website is only available for Euro 5 and Euro 6 vehicles.

You should first perform a proper diagnostic using a Ford specific diagnostic system. This may show a lot more DTC codes that are not showed by the instrument cluster. At this point you do not have a clue which of the DTC codes are active codes and which of the codes are previously stored codes. Most DTC codes (especially critical ones) will not be deleted by just disconnecting the battery

A proper Ford specific diagnostic system shows the DTC codes including all relevant information like for example:

* Fault description. 
* The moment (mileage) the fault occured.
* Conditions (battery voltage, engine temperature, etc.) when the fault occured.
* Engine malfunction warning message or not (Many DTC codes are stored wihout a warning message).

Without a proper diagnostic you can only guess what the problem may be.

14 hours ago, martyntdci said:

would this mean that I have a issue with the cluster? as atm its very dangerous to drive, it can loose all power to everything and just lock up at any time

It may be the cluster, but we really can't say without proper fault codes...  Doesn't have to be expensive though, Forscan is a free program, just need a lead or dongle that costs about £15 to use it.

As you say the car was written off, my best guess would be that a solder joint became damaged in the impact (either in the cluster or PCM or elsewhere) and then finally broke as you hit a bump on the way home.  Now it's randomly losing contact each time you hit a minor bump etc.  

the car was hit on the rear back door/arch. insurers wanted like 4k to fix, car value was 2.8k so written off.  but after the bump the car still drove and acted fine. it was only when we picked it up from the accident place where we purchased it back from we had the issues. I know the cluster is still mine as its cracked on the lens in middle of speedo. haven't checked the ecu to see if its been changed. will purchase a dongle later a elm327? and Forscan for android if they do it....

£2.8k for a 2008 Focus!?  Wish I'd just crashed mine instead of selling it now! :laugh: 

Tbh, the battery might be even knackered from sitting for 3 weeks, if you're near a Kwik Fit might be worth getting a free battery test done.

the battery was brand new last year Bosch s4. I took it off the other day and charged it over night,(looped the negative and live together) on the car to drain all relays and power. then fitted the battery. started it up first turn of key no hesitation and those codes came on the clock.

Arnold Clarke valued it at 2.8k, and a buy back price of £200 which is what we did (stupid not to) ive fitted a new back door, and had the alloy filled/sprayed again where it had some taken out of it also a new tyre. the only issue left is some work on the rear arch, which it has to go to a body repair shop to fix, if I can get it running properly lol

Ah ok, a lot of those miscommunication codes may have been caused by disconnecting/reconnecting the battery in that case.

Will wait & see what Forscan brings up, and yeah it can be used with Android...I'm still using it on a laptop atm but will be buying a dongle to use with Android myself soon.

At a buy back price of £200 I'd definitely have done the same! :biggrin: 

• Like 1

I purchased the forscan app for android for £3.50, tried my obd2 adapter but doesn't work. worth a try. ive loaded it onto my laptop and have ordered a modded elm 327 for forscan. may patrol amazon for a adapter for delivery tomorrow if I have the chance. the misses wanted to sell it for £800 when we found the issues as we bought a duke 2014 1.5dci. I said its too good to sell heated leathers, 18" snowflakes with 4 very decent tyres. the satnav head unit. engine has only done 104k new dmf and clutch around 95k with cambelt kit water pump, alternator, battery all in the same year, oh injectors cleaned and re-fitted, new Brembo discs/pads front and back turbo back 3" exhaust, bigger intercooler, with a custom map.  spent to much to let go. its my baby lol

• Like 1

On 12/29/2018 at 3:07 PM, martyntdci said:

list of codes pulled from the onboard test, a286, d900, d147, e510, 5750,

To convert Cluster codes to normal DTCs, see:

a286 = B2286, Trip Computer Mode Switch Short to Ground (might be just due to holding the reset stalk in!)

d900 = U1900, a very common general comms error code.

d147 = U1147, a PATS related error.

e510 = U2510, Invalid security data received from PCM (aka ECU)

5750 = C1750, Accelerator position sensor out of range

Unfortunately that is not a very helpful list. It points to wiring problems or CAN bus communication errors, but no real indication of where. Forscan might give a more comprehensive error list, as it can scan all the modules in the car. All these modules have processors with internal diagnostics, not just the ECU. Forscan also tells you which module the DTC is in.

If Forscan starts up on the laptop ok, and finds the ELM, but can not connect to the car, this is likely to be either a wiring fault on the HS CAN bus between the DLC (diagnostic socket) & the ECU, or a fault in the ECU, or in one of the power feeds to the ECU. I assume you have checked all the ECU related fuses in the engine bay fuse box.

Been over the fuses yes and in the bcm, not tested relays though. can connect to the obd via my dongle, but it comes up as a copy so programme won't work. Purchased the forscan 327 yesterday with the cable for the lap top and got both sets of software for laptop and android.  I just need another forscan bluetooth dongle

Going get it to a garage on Wednesday so they can check the ecu and associated wiring

Got the car back from the garage and a couple of codes are found these are....  Ecu hasn't been tampered with and the wiring from this to the bcm is fine...  

DSC_0386.JPG

DSC_0385.JPG

Ah that's annoying, U1900 is a pain to trace.  :sad:

When you say the wiring between the PCM & BCM is fine, do you just mean visually or did the garage check it with a multimeter?

The cluster can cause this code but I'd expect other codes as well if that was at fault.