Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Winter Screenwash Recommendations

TomsFocus

21 hours ago, Zico said:

Normally the 50p difference between the concentrate and ready mix is still in favour of the concentrate even if you managed to do a 50/50 mix and got 10L out of it compared to the 5L ready mix.

@Stoney871

I think you missed my point there.  The Halfords berry concentrate is only good to -10 when used neat.  At 50:50 it's only good for -2 iirc.  

So to get the same -10 protection as the ready mixed, you'd have to use the concentrate neat anyway.

Can't really understand why they've done that.  The only thing I can think is that maybe the concentrate has more detergents so would still work during summer when diluted.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2018 at 5:38 PM, TomsFocus said:

I think you missed my point there.  The Halfords berry concentrate is only good to -10 when used neat.  At 50:50 it's only good for -2 iirc.  

So to get the same -10 protection as the ready mixed, you'd have to use the concentrate neat anyway.

Can't really understand why they've done that.  The only thing I can think is that maybe the concentrate has more detergents so would still work during summer when diluted.

No, I get where you are coming from and agree that it's still odd that the concentrate is equal temp to the ready mix. I would have thought that mixing the concentrate 50:50 would give a lower freezing point even if it's a trade off of having more in volume.

On 12/29/2018 at 2:56 AM, Zico said:

I was caught up in the hype last year when HotUKDeals had a post for Euro Car Parts / Car Parts 4 Less - Triple Q -7 All Season 5L screenwash for £2 delivered. I picked up 3 or 4 but if you mixed it less than 50/50 it froze. For the price I used it neat in winter and then 50/50 or less as the weather got better.

Back to using Halfords Cherry Berry for the moment.

I use TripleQ in two cars in a roughly 2:1 mix and have not had a problem with it freezing, even in the very cold weather we had in March.

On 12/29/2018 at 11:34 PM, Zico said:

I've actually been lucky with deliveries from CarParts4Less. Including the cherry triple qx stuff I got the other year, the few times I have used them most items have arrived within a week.

At least they deliver to you. Nether ECP not CP4L will deliver screenwash (or wheel cleaner) to my home or work in Scotland! I get a message saying it's a dangerous substance.  They seem quite happy to deliver to my parents' house in England though.  Weird.

I got a box of 10 autoglym ultimate screenwash. I tend to use two per full tank of screenwash for winter and one for summer. 

Neat it's good down to -45c, so it always needs diluted in the UK. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to update this, I wouldn't recommend using the Home Bargains screenwash in a Focus or anything with a very tight filter.  Just noticed lumps are separating out of it and hanging around the bottom.

IMG_20190130_132836976.thumb.jpg.1494fddf984420c5de505744e4fbd2c3.jpg

Last week I had to make an emergency purchase of ready mixed Carplan all seasons screenwash, mine for a mere £8 at a fairly remote petrol station in the Borders, due to Mr Clark renting out cars without first topping up the fluids.  It was pretty brilliant at keeping the screen crystal clear.  Perhaps you do get what you pay for.

On 1/30/2019 at 1:49 PM, TomsFocus said:

Just wanted to update this, I wouldn't recommend using the Home Bargains screenwash in a Focus or anything with a very tight filter.  Just noticed lumps are separating out of it and hanging around the bottom.

IMG_20190130_132836976.thumb.jpg.1494fddf984420c5de505744e4fbd2c3.jpg

This the RAC stuff? Bought mine at B&M

Bought two 5L containers of it for £2.50 each, and just use it neat. So far hasn't frozen (lowest temp recorded -5). Mine hasn't got any bits (although I recall some extremely old screenwash at my folks house that did just this!). I'm a stickler for a clean screen though so it'll probably have all been used by the time it starts to separate.

The Halfords coloured gumf makes thick goo when mixed with any other screenwash. The apple one looked like I was pulling bogies out of my screen wash filter...

8 hours ago, Micro said:

This the RAC stuff? Bought mine at B&M

Bought two 5L containers of it for £2.50 each, and just use it neat. So far hasn't frozen (lowest temp recorded -5). Mine hasn't got any bits (although I recall some extremely old screenwash at my folks house that did just this!). I'm a stickler for a clean screen though so it'll probably have all been used by the time it starts to separate.

The Halfords coloured gumf makes thick goo when mixed with any other screenwash. The apple one looked like I was pulling bogies out of my screen wash filter...

No, this is branded 'CarStore', I've only seen it in Home Bargains.  Cost £1.69 for the 5 litres and should be good down to -10c...but obviously a false economy if you have to pull the screenwash system apart after using it lol.

I like a clean screen as well, and thought I used a lot of screenwash...but this is the first time I've had to put in any in since buying the Golf...back in July!!  I guess it must just have a huge washer bottle but doesn't have the winter pack or xenons so don't see why it would need it.

Think I'll give this one a go next time, £3 for 2.5L concentrate, down to -22c neat.

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-extra-strength-screenwash-25l/p/0324576

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club