Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Road Noise

Gary15

Hi, new to the FOC.

I own a focus Mk2 2L titanium with 18inch ford alloys.

Over the last few months I have been getting a load of road noise from the front like a bearing. Its getting worse. I been told its not a wheel bearing.I have changed the front to the rears etc but no difference.

I have had the wheels aligned by super tracker they said the fronts were set into two differnet directions that would give me road noise, but the settings have not changed the problem.

Can any one help

Gary15

Hi, new to the FOC.

I own a focus Mk2 2L titanium with 18inch ford alloys.

Over the last few months I have been getting a load of road noise from the front like a bearing. Its getting worse. I been told its not a wheel bearing.I have changed the front to the rears etc but no difference.

I have had the wheels aligned by super tracker they said the fronts were set into two differnet directions that would give me road noise, but the settings have not changed the problem.

Can any one help

Gary15

road noise can be down to the tyres if the trackings fine and its definately not a bearing the handlings fine then either over or under inflated tyres or its the tyres themselves some tyres emitt more road noise than others in fact with vws its a hot topic as to which gives the least road noise failing that it will be either the tyres or brakes on the front rubbing it could even be the road surface you are driving on if the fronts were set in 2 different directions the car wouldnt drive straight constant adjustment on the steering when you were driving would be needed and the handling wouldnt have been so great jack the car up on whatever side you want to check and spin the wheel listen for any noise also turn the wheel by hand feeling for any roughness in the movement youll feel a notchy feeling then grab the wheel at 3 oclock and 9 and give it a bit of a shake looking for movement if no to all that its not bearings also if the brakes are binding the wheel will be hard to turn with a lot of resistance i feel its just the tyres you had them replaced

road noise can be down to the tyres if the trackings fine and its definately not a bearing the handlings fine then either over or under inflated tyres or its the tyres themselves some tyres emitt more road noise than others in fact with vws its a hot topic as to which gives the least road noise failing that it will be either the tyres or brakes on the front rubbing it could even be the road surface you are driving on if the fronts were set in 2 different directions the car wouldnt drive straight constant adjustment on the steering when you were driving would be needed and the handling wouldnt have been so great jack the car up on whatever side you want to check and spin the wheel listen for any noise also turn the wheel by hand feeling for any roughness in the movement youll feel a notchy feeling then grab the wheel at 3 oclock and 9 and give it a bit of a shake looking for movement if no to all that its not bearings also if the brakes are binding the wheel will be hard to turn with a lot of resistance i feel its just the tyres you had them replaced

youre message was blank.....have the tyres been repolaced lately as i said the actual tyre can be the cause of the noise other than that do the checks on the wheels and see if theres any issue with binding brakes or noisy bearings

Thanks for that info, the tyres I have are Goodyear F1 225/40/R18 which were fine, have done 12,000 miles on them treads were getting low so I put the rears on the front etc, put the noise seems worse.

I have been changing the pressure's slightly so i my change them again to a lower setting.

Would you recommend any tyres.

Thanks for that info, the tyres I have are Goodyear F1 225/40/R18 which were fine, have done 12,000 miles on them treads were getting low so I put the rears on the front etc, put the noise seems worse.

I have been changing the pressure's slightly so i my change them again to a lower setting.

Would you recommend any tyres.

strange possibly youre tyres are out of balance do you get any slight vibration in the steering at high speed start with 35 psi and reduce it from there there are so many differnt recommended pressures 24-35psi big variation i know so ide start at 35 and slowly lower them a bar at a time and see if that changes the noise the ones you have are pretty good to be honest falken fa452 are good but pricey as are the ze912 and kumho 712 as well it comes down to price really some are expensive the falkens can be £100 each ide try the lower settings on the oressure

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club