Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can you straight swap H7 Halogens for LEDs?

MichaelDodds25

Hello fellow Ford owners,

As the title says, is it possible to just swap out H7 Halogen bulbs for road legal LED ones?  My main reason for doing this is increasing the brightness as the H7 Halogens I'm using now don't really seem to throw light that far in front of me.  The 58 plate Peugeot 207 I had (sorry for swearing in here!) before my Fiesta actually had better headlamps than what I have now and they had even taken on some weathering as well, reducing their own optical performance.  This is the only good thing that car had going for it though!  I know LEDs generate less heat but their optical characteristics are different too.  Any input would be helpful here.

Regards,

Michael

Well it would appear that I didn't see that fitting LED lamps to a lamp unit that is meant for Halogens is actually illegal in the UK.  LEDs are only permitted where fitted by the manufacturer and the whole lamp unit has to be replaced if it packs up.... So.... Nevermind!  Move along!

It's been discussed many times over and it's something that is technically not legal but it's not likely to cause any issues if the LEDs are correct for the projector type headlamps that the Mk7.5 Fiesta uses.

I haven't swapped my Mk7 ST to LED but have OSRAM Night Breaker Laser bulbs instead.

You could take a look at the Autobeam LED Bulbs which are supposed to be specifically for projector headlamps:

https://autobeam.co.uk/collections/fiesta-mk7-5-2013-2017/products/h7-led-performance

If you use Autobeam then remember to use the current SALE code for 20%.

9 hours ago, Zico said:

It's been discussed many times over and it's something that is technically not legal but it's not likely to cause any issues if the LEDs are correct for the projector type headlamps that the Mk7.5 Fiesta uses.

I haven't swapped my Mk7 ST to LED but have OSRAM Night Breaker Laser bulbs instead.

You could take a look at the Autobeam LED bulbs which are supposed to be specifically for projector headlamps:

https://autobeam.co.uk/collections/fiesta-mk7-5-2013-2017/products/h7-led-performance

If you use Autobeam then remember to use the current SALE code for 20%.

Thanks for your input, I actually ordered some of the Osram Night Breaker Laser Next Generation H7s from ECP last night:

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-parts/car-electrics-and-car-lighting/lighting1/car-bulb/?48177022X&1&cc5_847

Looking forward to seeing the difference!  Let's see if that 'up to 150% brighter and 20% whiter light' makes it better!

Installed h7 LED Bulbs from car enhancements UK. They were straight fit (tight but still) and I needed to order the dust covers with them since the original ones are too small. The light colour is more white/blue so in some situations they seem less bright than the best Philips or Osram bulbs but usually they do their job nicely and they are actually brighter than the best h7 available.