Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta MK7 Boot switch problem

Jamesgreen1994

Over the past month my Fiesta MK7 has had some problems with the boot. As I'm driving along the boot will just pop open. I have googled the problem and its meant to be a common fault with the MK7. One post i found is that water gets into the switch located underneath the ford sign (Exterior switch).

Few questions i have regarding this issue.

1. How do you replace the exterior switch underneath the ford sign , can't find any videos on how to get access to this ?

2. Is it the boot lock itself, the one you can see when you open the boot ?

Also for the record the actual boot switch underneath the ford badge stopped working a long while ago, the only way i can open the boot is by using the button on my key.

Thanks

James

IMG_4405.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

On 12/29/2018 at 7:24 PM, Jamesgreen1994 said:

Over the past month my Fiesta MK7 has had some problems with the boot. As I'm driving along the boot will just pop open. I have googled the problem and its meant to be a common fault with the MK7. One post i found is that water gets into the switch located underneath the ford sign (Exterior switch).

Few questions i have regarding this issue.

1. How do you replace the exterior switch underneath the ford sign , can't find any videos on how to get access to this ?

2. Is it the boot lock itself, the one you can see when you open the boot ?

Also for the record the actual boot switch underneath the ford badge stopped working a long while ago, the only way i can open the boot is by using the button on my key.

Thanks

James

IMG_4405.jpg

The boot on my son’s 2011 fiesta kept opening on its own when he was driving. The boot did not always open first time on the key also. I checked this site and had a go fixing the problem - I changed the switch. The switch is cheap to buy and easy to replace. Undo the screws on the under side of the boot lid and remove the cladding. It’s quite easy. You will then see the rear wind screen wiper mechanism. You do not have to remove this. There are five nuts which hold the panel above the number plate. Removing them will enable you to remove the panel above the number plate. Remove the plug from the switch and replace it with the new one. I’m not a mechanic, but it is quite easy to do. the fault has now gone. Water from the rear window can run down under the panel and over the years, I think it just got damp and played up more in wet weather.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I've had this same problem. It turned out that the boot switch itself was full of water due to its proximity to the rear windscreen wiper. In my case, the fix was:

• Remove boot switch. You do this from the outside by using a flathead screwdriver or similar to pop the switch out. Note that you may need to remove the rear numberplate (though I didn't).
  • Unclip the plug from the rear boot switch now that it's loose.
  • Give the wire and plug a good clean with some paper towels, and clean the switch recess area in the boot. It will probably be filthy.
  • Clean the outside of the switch as best you can.
  • Use a small screwdriver to take the switch apart. There aren't many moving parts inside so don't worry too much about this step. Just be careful not to lose the tiny springs.
  • Dry everything out with paper towels and use some WD-40 to repel any excess moisture and rust.
  • Put it back together.
  • Plug it back into the boot, test that it still works.
  • Put the switch back into the recess (it'll clip back in).

A nice reply James just 3 years too late for @Lewiswils0n who couldn't even be bothered to complete his profile. They only ever made one post and never checked back.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club