Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo hard starting

katelyndon

We have a 2007 diesel Mondeo. To start from cold we have to wait for the glow plug light to go off 3 times before it will start. Ok starting after.  Runs great.  Does it need new glow plugs or something else. Any advice. Thanks

tbh I don't think that it gets cold enough here for the use of glow plugs, but imo it would not harm changing them like 30 quid or something. On the other hand It maybe a battery issue, you could get it tested or just remove and chuck it on a slow charge over night and see if it makes any difference?

no problem, just keep updating... 👍

The fact you need to cycle the glow plugs 3 times and it turns over no problem points me in the direction of an ignition problem, I’d be atleast checking plugs first.

This is the very same thing my 1.8tdci does on colder mornings. The glowplugs on it seem slow to heat up. 

Yes. Mine is the 1.8tdci.  do you mean check the glow plugs. I am a bit thick. But thanks

I have no issues..... with mine starting up (just everything else lol), 1.8 tdci first turn of the key.  but in the past I've had a new battery 12mth ago, new plugs around 3 yrs ago and new loom at the same time. but the weather here isn't as bad as yours stef

• Like 1

Only had this about a month. Got another Mondeo, 2003 2.0tdi. had it about 6 years and had no trouble apart from new springs all round. Also got a 2007 transit. Can't beat ford. 

I could beat mine with the issue im having lol, also I need beat the rust as it started surfacing on the rear subframe and rear bottom inner arch......

1 hour ago, martyntdci said:

I have no issues..... with mine starting up (just everything else lol), 1.8 tdci first turn of the key.  but in the past I've had a new battery 12mth ago, new plugs around 3 yrs ago and new loom at the same time. but the weather here isn't as bad as yours stef

Even when we have mornings with no frost I still have to cycle the key a couple of times. My experience with the 1.8 engine tells me they don’t seem to like cold starting without glow plugs even when it’s not actually all that cold.

i will get round to changing the plugs eventually but for now it doesn’t bother me to cycle the key 2 or 3 times lol 

1 hour ago, katelyndon said:

Yes. Mine is the 1.8tdci.  do you mean check the glow plugs. I am a bit thick. But thanks

Yes glow plugs.

Whenever I’m looking at a car/van with a suspected glow plug problem I always start by verifying there is 12v getting to each plug and also that each plug is working. 

To test each plug you need to remove the wiring going to them and test the resistance of them or remove them altogether and put 12v on them and make sure they start to glow quite quickly.

each plug should measure approximately 1 ohm. 

• Like 2

Lol. That's a bit too much for me but I know a chap that can do that

12 hours ago, martyntdci said:

I could beat mine with the issue im having lol, also I need beat the rust as it started surfacing on the rear subframe and rear bottom inner arch......

Yes my older Mondeo has started to go on the subframe. MOT advisory

job for better weather me thinks, sand it all down, rust proof, oxidise primer then a matt black metal paint. body work I think I will take it to the professionals lol. owned it since it was just over 3 yrs old

Lol. My husband used to that with his transits when he was younger. A bit too old for it nowadays

bad back and all..... I found when you get older you carnt be as bothered in the up keep, but maintenance is the key haha 

Yeh. Bad back. He don't do much now but does change oil and filters and easy bits. Most jobs is for chap over road who has his own garage and is cheap but good. Transit goes up transit centre. They very good and don't rip you off

• 2 weeks later...

Had new heater plugs put in but was told it needed new battery, so new battery on. Let's see how it starts in the morning

On 12/29/2018 at 11:24 PM, stef123 said:

Even when we have mornings with no frost I still have to cycle the key a couple of times. My experience with the 1.8 engine tells me they don’t seem to like cold starting without glow plugs even when it’s not actually all that cold.

i will get round to changing the plugs eventually but for now it doesn’t bother me to cycle the key 2 or 3 times lol 

Bought my Focus in the winter months, was shown a 1.8 Diesel of the same year. After a few attempts of starting it, I changed my mind to have the petrol instead 😁

• Haha 1

Well it starts first time now. Hope it carrys on the same, and the first morning it was froze over . Only thing now is got to get radio out to get the code

Fingers crossed for you. 

Some of the radios you can display the serial number on the screen, don’t ask me how though :lol: 

1 minute ago, stef123 said:

Fingers crossed for you. 

Some of the radios you can display the serial number on the screen, don’t ask me how though :lol: 

Press numbers 1 & 6 usually.

• Like 1

Wonder how. My husband out side trying to get radio out

Lol. Just been on utube to find out. Saw what to do, went out to my husband and he had just got radio out for serial number. Now he has to put it all back together while I go on eBay for code

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club