Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2009 Focus TDCI injector faults.

Paul Casson

Good morning,

i have had an ongoing issue for the last month with starting and running issues with my 2009 Focus Titanium. I've had the car since it was 3 months old and up until the end of november it had been bullet proof reliability wise. On sunday the 2nd of dec after finishing work it just wouldn't catch, it would turn over but eventually i had to admit defeat and call the RAC...he found one of the fuses was loose and after jabbing it back in it fired up but ran very rough. I put the car into the local Diesel injection garage in Ipswich (Diescos) and it appears to have stumped them...it sat in the garage for nearly 2 weeks. I then got a call from them saying that it had finally run hot enough to generate a fault code which transpired that i needed 3 injectors replaced at a cost of £910. This was done and i picked the car up the next day and ran it on the A14 to give it a good run, which seemed okay. The next day however it would misfire at about 1800-2000 and over the next day (24th dec) it really misfired and at about 200 yards from home i got the ENGINE MALFUNCTION warning and the car went into limp mode....and there it has sat as Diesco do not appear to be open throughout the festive period so shall have to wait until after new year for them to look at it. Has anybody had a similar fault, i've never had a misfire from the car in nigh on 10 years.

The usual issue on these is a blocked fuel filter but I'd really hope Diesco checked for that.

Have you had any Ford diagnostics run on the car or just Diesco's generic code scanner? 

I believe they used their own diagnostics. The lad from the RAC checked the filters and it had a service earlier this year. Thought it might have been EGR valve or Glo-plug related but apparently not.Both the RAC and Diesco said there were no fault codes coming up until Diescos got it running really hot....then the faulty injectors were apparently spotted.

could this be the dpf?  im unsure as the 1.8tdci focus doesn't have one. I'd be weary that he did check the fuel filter, as this is a filter insert so he would have had to strip it down replace prime and try to start. just because you say it had a service doesn't necessarily this was changed . also whilst its off the road it would not harm for you to remove the egr and clean, just for peace of mind. tooth brush and some good carb cleaner

• Like 1

Good call on the EGR...is nearly 10 years old.

Cheers

I don't know what systems the RAC & Diesco use but often the generic scanners don't pick up specific Ford faults, if you can get Forscan on it that may pick up extra codes.

Glowplugs can cause the engine malfunction warning but won't cause a misfire on a warm engine.

DPF problems could cause this issue.  There's no DPF warning light on these so you don't know until it's too late.  On a 2009 model it should be a coated DPF which is more robust than the older type.  It would be worth checking the DPF pressure pipes (between DPF body and sensor on battery box) are not damaged at all.

Fuel filter can be checked on live diags by comparing the requested fuel pressure against the actual fuel pressure, if the actual is a lot lower then the filter is the first thing to check, before pressure sensors and the fuel pump.  This should be well within Diesco's capability though.

EGR is a likely culprit tbh.  However I have a feeling you'll be told the 4th injector needs replacing as well now.

Yep Tom, felt that tug on my wallet as soon as the malfunction light came on. Really surprised at Diesco...everyone i spoke to said they are the people to go to with this issue but to be fair i've not been that impressed with what i've seen. As a bit of a non-mechanical person can i ask what the DPF is and where is it located.

Cheers

it may not have been the injectors in the first place. do you have your old ones? if you do get them tested with a written up report, if they are fine the obv thing to do is go back to the garage and tear of there heads.....

they remove the soot from the engine and capture to save pushing out of the exhaust and polluting. this will be located after the turbo but before the cat on your exhaust system. 

if you didn't want to clean the egr, you could always blank it off via a £5 plate purchased from eBay. this may throw up the eml light. it doesn't on the euro 4 engine

9 minutes ago, Paul Casson said:

Yep Tom, felt that tug on my wallet as soon as the malfunction light came on. Really surprised at Diesco...everyone i spoke to said they are the people to go to with this issue but to be fair i've not been that impressed with what i've seen. As a bit of a non-mechanical person can i ask what the DPF is and where is it located.

Cheers

I must admit, I've heard mixed reviews about Diesco, though never actually used them myself.

The DPF is a the diesel particulate filter and is fitted just after catalytic converter.  In basic terms it catches & stores harmful soot particles in the exhaust and burns them off every few weeks when it senses a large pressure difference in the filter.   If the pipes split, the sensor doesn't notice the soot build up until it becomes a large restriction, and then keeps trying to burn it off but can't.  On your car the DPF is right underneath unfortunately but if you can find the sensor on the battery box and follow the thin rubber pipes as far as possible, that should be good enough.

• Like 1

the dpf is fitted on the down pipe

2 minutes ago, martyntdci said:

the dpf is fitted on the down pipe

On the 1.6 yes.  On the 2.0 it's under the car.

• Like 1

apologies, so wonder why they did the switch? 

2 minutes ago, martyntdci said:

apologies, so wonder why they did the switch? 

It just down to space in the engine bay and the turbo location.  The 1.6 is a lot smaller engine and has the turbo mounted on the front so means you can easily fit the cat & DPF right in front of the block.  There just isn't the space to do that in front of the 2.0 and the turbo is on the back of that engine so the DPF ends up just underneath the car.  

So if it is the DPF thats clogged can this be cleaned or does it require replacing...pricey i guess. Now that the car has sat since christmas eve, am i taking a risk in trying to start it?

Cheers

you can ask them to perform a forced regen, (this is similar to when your car does it under certain temp ie being thrashed so it gets hot to burn)

• Like 1

It turns out Paul lives just half a mile from me, small world lol!

I've scanned the car this morning.  Only engine fault is with injector 2.  This injector is one of the ones that was replaced and the plug was clean & tight.  I'd suggest it is either a faulty injector loom, or possibly even a faulty new injector.  

1588085628_EJ09injector.thumb.png.e8f9aac8e966f81c52e1b43cd8654852.png

• Like 1

A few simple wiring checks and basics testing would easily confirm the issue. 

I hope that wasn’t the fault code that made the garage replace injectors. 

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 10:12 AM, stef123 said:

A few simple wiring checks and basics testing would easily confirm the issue. 

I hope that wasn’t the fault code that made the garage replace injectors. 

What simple tests would you do?  I didn't want to poke around with a multimeter on someone else's car knowing the injectors & PCM can be a bit delicate with resistance tests.

The garage took the car back and done something (it's not clear exactly what they did) but the misfire is still present.  I've just scanned the car again and had the same injector 2 code come up, however it wasn't present at time of request, and didn't reoccur with an engine start and quick rev to 3k or so.  Either they didn't clear the code after their 'repair', or there is still an intermittent issue on that injector.

You can clear the dtc with forscan,  then perform the new dtc reading.  What was all the other codes bought up? I had the u1900 20 ic,  I've cleared that, did a module reset on the ic and it's not come back

56 minutes ago, martyntdci said:

You can clear the dtc with forscan,  then perform the new dtc reading.  What was all the other codes bought up? I had the u1900 20 ic,  I've cleared that, did a module reset on the ic and it's not come back

Yeah, it didn't come back after an engine start as I say.  May come back after another fast run though.

The other codes were just glitches caused by low battery etc.  

6 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

What simple tests would you do?  I didn't want to poke around with a multimeter on someone else's car knowing the injectors & PCM can be a bit delicate with resistance tests.

The garage took the car back and done something (it's not clear exactly what they did) but the misfire is still present.  I've just scanned the car again and had the same injector 2 code come up, however it wasn't present at time of request, and didn't reoccur with an engine start and quick rev to 3k or so.  Either they didn't clear the code after their 'repair', or there is still an intermittent issue on that injector.

Are the injectors on these engines the 'Piezo' type or a regular coil type? Coil type is easy enough.

1 hour ago, stef123 said:

Are the injectors on these engines the 'Piezo' type or a regular coil type? Coil type is easy enough.

Siemens piezo injectors on these afaik.  It's the PSA 2.0, not the Ford one.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club