Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta starting troubles

andy_3_913

Hi.

I have a 2007 Ford Fiesta Freedom/Zetec and recently I've been having a bit of trouble starting it (occasionally). Turn the key, all the dashboard lights come on, but absolutely no life from the engine.

Pretty sure it's not a battery problem as that was replaced 2 weeks ago and it's still doing it.

It does start after a few tries, but I'm getting a bit concerned now every time I go to drive it wondering if it's going to start.

Possible faulty ignition switch ?

Have you tested the battery voltage to make sure it's high enough to start? If so then when it does start is the alternator charging it properly?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

Have you tested the battery voltage to make sure it's high enough to start? If so then when it does start is the alternator charging it properly?

Personally, no, I haven't.

But there was a new battery put in last week so I'm assuming that it's ok.

And, thanks 🙂

starter motor? next time you try it listen for a clicking noise from the bay.... or just try tapping it with a broom handle or something whilst somebody is cranking it over...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, martyntdci said:

starter motor? next time you try it listen for a clicking noise from the bay.... or just try tapping it with a broom handle or something whilst somebody is cranking it over...

Don't think so.

It's completely quiet.

Does the immobiliser light keep flashing?

Does sound like the ignition switch though!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Does the immobiliser light keep flashing?

Sometimes.

Depends how long I turn the key for.

If I keep it held, then it will.

And it will also beep.

But If I don't hold the key in the start position, then it doesn't.

Well that changes things.  It sounds like the immobiliser might not be disarming rather than a 'physical' fault such as the ignition switch or starter solenoid.  If that is the case, it could be a pain to trace unfortunately.  Do you have a spare key?  If so, use that one for a while and see if the same thing happens.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Well that changes things.  It sounds like the immobiliser might not be disarming rather than a 'physical' fault such as the ignition switch or starter solenoid.  If that is the case, it could be a pain to trace unfortunately.  Do you have a spare key?  If so, use that one for a while and see if the same thing happens.

I've tried both.

The remote key and the manual one.

Same result.

Just to be sure, but unlikely. When trying with one key, the other key is nowhere near is it , eg. they are not both on the same key ring or anything like that (so car gets confused which key chip it is reading). I know it's unlikely but best of we check.    I suppose if it was mine the next thing would be to remove the plastic covers around steering lock and check wiring connector on the key chip reader

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, isetta said:

Just to be sure, but unlikely. When trying with one key, the other key is nowhere near is it , eg. they are not both on the same key ring or anything like that (so car gets confused which key chip it is reading). I know it's unlikely but best of we check.    I suppose if it was mine the next thing would be to remove the plastic covers around steering lock and check wiring connector on the key chip reader

No. It's not that, thanks.

I keep one key in the house and the other is on me.

I really don't want to start messing with something I'm not comforatble with so it looks like I'll have to try and find an old style garage or find my nearest dealer.

it's tricky to know where best to go. Some 'old style' garages don't understand this modern electronic stuff. Nor do I. I know I said check wiring /connector at the chip reader but that's the furthest I could go. If there was nothing wrong there I would not know what to do.

• Like 1