Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Should I go for 1.0 EB?

kaliope

Hi again. As I mentioned in the introduction forum, I'd like to get a new car for my missus. Now she owns a 3 cylinder Aygo and I hate that sound and one day I told myself I would never ever buy a car with a 3 cylinder engine on board. However, I had a test drive last weekend and I was more than impressed with 1.0 125bhp Fiesta. Two days earlier I test drove a 1.0 tsi Polo and 1.3 Honda Jazz. I myself own a CRV  and this car is awesome, totally reliable, has never had any single issue and that's the reason why I was pretty sure the missus should get a Jazz. After all three test drives, the Fiesta appears to handle the best. So I'm considering getting one. But I'm, so much afraid of this 1.0 EB engine. I don't think it is as reliable as the 1.3 naturally aspirated on the Jazz. So, is the 1.0 EB reliable? What issues can one expect? I've seen somewhere totally rusted turbo lines with a coolant leak leading to the engine being ceased. That pushes me off a lot. Any more issues? Thanks for any input.    

My Fiesta is 4 years old and I've had it for 1,5 years now. Just a tiny bit of rust in turbo cooling pipe (which I'm going to deal with by painting the pipes next summer) but otherwise it's been faultless. Driven 40 000 km since I bought it. Also it's really fun to drive, the engine is really good. Don't know how long it will last but so far so good. I got the 125 bhp version. 

• Like 1

A NA engine will likely be more reliable than the 1.0L ecoboost. However the ecoboost is still a solid engine which if you look after it, should last you till you scrap the car.

Obviously if you're worried about these rusty coolant lines then you pay more attention to them when you inspect the car and paint them once you do buy it. The coolant leaks should've all been fixed as part of the recall and only affected earlier models. Even if the recall wasn't done the engine has probably blown up by now anyway so I wouldn't worry about it.

I understand your concern. two years ago I was changing my car. I had a Fiesta diesel and I bought another Fiesta diesel. I was considering the 1.0EB but I just felt that it seemed to be an engine that is pushed to it's limits. My 1.5tdci does have a turbo but it's a 95bhp 1500cc and has no water pipes on the turbo, presumably because there is no need to have the water pipes on the turbo as the engine is not so much pushed to it limits.  The 1.0EB has twice the bhp per cc compared to my 95bhp diesel.

I know there have been many 1.0EB failures but it is a very common car so for all I know the actual % failure rate might not be higher than some less common makes/models.

So my gut feeling (I know people will say I am stuck in the past) is that I am not keen on petrol engines with a turbo. It overstresses them and adds unneccessary complication. (yes I know my diesel has a turbo but I like diesels for the economy and low speed torque and if any diesel did not have a turbo on it, the performance would be inadequate).

But as I say, perhaps this is just me being stuck in the past.

My focus 1.0 ecoboost is now 5 yrs 6 months  old and 70k miles . Still gets a thrashing on motorways getting very hot no doubt. More so as it's bluefin 140hp . 

54 minutes ago, iantt said:

My focus 1.0 ecoboost is now 5 yrs 6 months  old and 70k miles . Still gets a thrashing on motorways getting very hot no doubt. More so as it's bluefin 140hp . 

So was it manufactured  in 2012 as one of the earliest ones?  Absolutely no issues? No coolant leaks? Has it gone trough the recall repairs?  If so, what was done as part of recall?

Apart from coolant leaks, any more typical issues? No issues with the head gasket? No issues with crankshaft bearings typical of 3 cyl. engines?    

Well our next door neighbor  has a 2009 1.4 jazz and had it from new and is on around 95k and i can honestly say this car has never gone wrong in all the years

She keeps it serviced once a year and only thing that's been done is the battery,i have driven it and it also drives nice,its got all the toys on it.

I do see what you are on about trusting the Eco Boost as i had the option to have a 2015 one a few years ago but i love my old 2011 1.6 fiesta 

titanium and still only on 29k i have had it for 4 years with no problems.

Not many out there which will hold the road like a ford,like on rails.

5 hours ago, kaliope said:

So was it manufactured  in 2012 as one of the earliest ones?  Absolutely no issues? No coolant leaks? Has it gone trough the recall repairs?  If so, what was done as part of recall?

Apart from coolant leaks, any more typical issues? No issues with the head gasket? No issues with crankshaft bearings typical of 3 cyl. engines?    

I had degas hose recall done as soon as it was available in 2014/15 , since then fitted extra electrical coolant pump( that has become standard fit On later models)  to keep temps in check when engine switched off. 

Bluefin remap been on since Oct 2015. 

No issues. 

I will say the Honda jazz is a very reliable car, my partner had a 1.4 jazz and we never did anything to it in 70k miles apart from brake pads all-round and tyres . Only changed oil a few times , 1 oil filter. Nothing else not even air filter or plugs. 

Edit, sold the jazz and bought a 16 plate  fiesta 1.0ecoboost titanium for my partner 16 months ago. She doing 15k a year in it and is very happy with it. So 2 ecoboosts in the family at the moment, but my daughter is considering one also. 

Hello

I have the 125bhp ecoboost in titanium x spec, had it for 19 months and love it. it has all the extras on it apart from nav. bought it to replace a 6 year old skoda fabia 1.2 (70) NA.

the fiesta is saving me money on road tax (£0 vs £120 per year), insurance, etc. not sure about fuel because i am only averaging 32.6mpg doing a 2 mile commute to work and back.

it is comfortable, reliable, just had it tested and only needed 2 tyres, mileage 14920 in 4 years. it has full leather, 17" alloy wheels, spare wheel, variable boot floor as optional extras and the metallic deep impact blue paint.

my friend has a kuga titanium 1.5 ecoboost awd auto and i only bought mine on recommendation.

the ecoboost engine did have a recall but it only affected early focus models from 2012-2014 i think so anything registered after this will be unaffected but i am going to get mine checked out for the coolant degas hose as i think it should be modified after reading reviews about it.

Hi

I am on my 3rd 1.0 eb all focus and my latest one i bought from new and i am well impressed with the power and cheap to run costs 

so i have just bought a fiesta 1,0 eb 2016  zetec S for my wife and she loves it her last car was a fiesta 2013  1.2 

and she is shocked how much quicker it is and lesser running costs 

hope this helps a little 

I have to say i like the MK8 Fiesta and a simple answer from me is yes i would have one just give it a good check over first,every car has its faults.

I have a 2015 Fiesta Ecoboost (100) which I have put on 43500 miles in that time and the engine has been fine and I do 140 mile trips 4of of the 7 days. I would recommend it over the naturally aspirated 1.1(for the mk8) or the na 1.0 80hp and the 1.25 (mk7.5) because it is soooo much easier to get up to speed and stay at speed especially if you are doing regular motorway journeys. 

and what is the "dagas hose" that might fail?  What if it fails? The engine ceases?  How much to replace it? Can you replace it yourself? 

It's a recall so done at a Ford dealer for free. Only affects some models and dates though.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, iantt said:

since then fitted extra electrical coolant pump( that has become standard fit On later models)  to keep temps in check when engine switched off. 

Would you recommend it get done if not already present? I've got a 2013 and will likely be hanging on to it for a while yet. If so - got any details on the change I could pass to a dealer or local? 

Edit: Google suggests tsb 35/2012 and approximate cost at dealer £65, that sound correct?

1 hour ago, kaliope said:

and what is the "dagas hose" that might fail?  What if it fails? The engine ceases?  How much to replace it? Can you replace it yourself? 

Degas hose is one of the pipes that attach to the coolant tank. If memory serves me correctly it is the top pipe. The problem was the original pipe was completely plastic and under a lot of heat could crack and dump the coolant. If this happens and you didn't turn off the engine immediately you're talking fried engine and a fire risk. Damage would be in the thousands. 

You might be able to do it yourself, but for liability purposes if it needs done take the free fix via recall from Ford. Most cars already had it done, you can check on ford etis - http://www.etis.ford.com

If the checker says "No Campaign Message(s) found"; your car is most likely fine. 

Whether or not to buy one - further to my previous message:

I think it partly depends how old/mileage the car has if 2nd hand, and also how long/miles anyone plans to keep one. I bought my previous fiesta (1.6tdci) at 5 months old and had it for 9 years and did 146k miles. I bought my current (1.5tdci) at 10 months old and intend to have it for many years. That is long enough / high enough miles for me to worry about 1.0EB .  If anyone is going to buy one new and sell at  3 years / 30k miles it is not the same level of worry.

(my 1.6tdci had no DPF, my current 1.5tdci has a DPF so i might regret it)

"Edit: Google suggests tsb 35/2012 and approximate cost at dealer £65, that sound correct?"

I can't see a dealer charging £65 to supply and fit pump. I would think it would be much more than that. 

54 minutes ago, isetta said:

"Edit: Google suggests tsb 35/2012 and approximate cost at dealer £65, that sound correct?"

I can't see a dealer charging £65 to supply and fit pump. I would think it would be much more than that. 

I found it at the link below. Its probably that £65 was just referring to the pcm update (but in that case I'd consider it expensive)

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=129&t=1446484&i=380

At any rate I think it's cheeky ford expect us to pay at all for their design mistake. In my line of work we fix design mistakes free of charge (given the problem can be fixed and the work to fix is prioritised accordingly). Anyway, that is a different rant. 

Had aygos and got a 108 with a 3cyl lump as well as a 140 1.0 fiesta. Engines are totally different. One is frugal but runs on a spin cycle and the other is epic.

Aren't all ecoboosts now covered in case of coolant leak now anyway? Ford said they would cover the cost of any repairs with coolant loss engine failure?

6 minutes ago, sioneon said:

Had aygos and got a 108 with a 3cyl lump as well as a 140 1.0 fiesta. Engines are totally different. One is frugal but runs on a spin cycle and the other is epic.

Aren't all ecoboosts now covered in case of coolant leak now anyway? Ford said they would cover the cost of any repairs with coolant loss engine failure?

No, Ford mgrcrc have totally renaged on that promise. Now they will only cover vehicles that were not recalled successfully for the degas hose. Any other coolant related issues or failures are not covered outside of the standard warranty due to mgrcrc's decision seemingly overriding what the head of ford stated on the BBC. 

Left hand doesn't know or care what the right is doing 🙄

Wonder if Watchdog will get on their case again then.

That's pretty weak to have turned the decision like that and so soon.

Here is a couple of pics showing the de gass hose that fails.

Top pic is old hose made from plastic the lower pic is the updated hose made from rubber.

1753322197_FordEcoBoost1.0carckedwaterpipe1.thumb.jpg.61765064c06e8261d5e933afdafc0769.jpg

Ford Eco Boost 1.0 carcked water pipe 2 NEW VERSION.jpg

Just from those photos you can see the newer hose looks better!

The new style hose still breaks after the recall, just slightly further along at the T peice or smaller lower pipe (both visible in first pic).

The best upgrade is the facelift hose system, does away with the T peice altogether.  It's also worth adding the electronic cooling pump which continues to circulate the coolant after engine shut off.

The new style hose still breaks after the recall, just slightly further along at the T peice or smaller lower pipe (both visible in first pic).

Oh. Disappointing...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club