Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus 2017 Reverse Parking Camera

Marteeno

Hi,

This is my first post here, no doubt of many more, so hello everyone ! I have a Ford Focus 2017 model which didn't have a reverse parking camera installed. My parents have a Nissan Tuscan which does and so my sister has one in her car and I can really see the the benefits for this, but when I asked my dealer they said that they couldn't find the correct part for it. Would anyone know if my car can get a parking camera installed at all, and if so how much would it likely to be ?

Many thanks,

Happy New Year for 2019 to you when it comes.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Marteeno said:

Hi,

This is my first post here, no doubt of many more, so hello everyone ! I have a Ford Focus 2017 model which didn't have a reverse parking camera installed. My parents have a Nissan Tuscan which does and so my sister has one in her car and I can really see the the benefits for this, but when I asked my dealer they said that they couldn't find the correct part for it. Would anyone know if my car can get a parking camera installed at all, and if so how much would it likely to be ?

Many thanks,

i belive you can get a universal kit for most cars not sure about price have a look on line ive just brought 2018 st line its got one already but it was apotion hope this helps

5 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

Do you have reverse sensors?

Thanks guys, Yes Jonro I do have the reverse sensors, would this make it more likely to work ? 

1 hour ago, Marteeno said:

Thanks guys, Yes Jonro I do have the reverse sensors, would this make it more likely to work ? 

Yes, it means the plug for the camera should be in the boot behind the trim, which goes back to the Sync unit and BCM. It means you can fit a £10 eBay camera and wire it into the plug then activate the camera service using either Forscan or similar and it will work the same as an OEM camera - apart from the steering guidance lines, they won’t work. 

On 1/1/2019 at 1:40 AM, Jonro2009 said:

Yes, it means the plug for the camera should be in the boot behind the trim, which goes back to the Sync unit and BCM. It means you can fit a £10 eBay camera and wire it into the plug then activate the camera service using either Forscan or similar and it will work the same as an OEM camera - apart from the steering guidance lines, they won’t work. 

Ahhh Jonro you're a star. Is there a specific model number of camera that I should be looking for ? Also, is this easy to fit for a complete car mod virgin or should I get a dealer to fit it, the guiding lines don't bother me at all.

Ahhh Jonro you're a star. Is there a specific model number of camera that I should be looking for ? Also, is this easy to fit for a complete car mod virgin or should I get a dealer to fit it, the guiding lines don't bother me at all.

You'll struggle to get a dealer to fit anything that isn't "factory fit".

I did it in my Mondeo, haven’t done it in my Focus though as I don’t have the plug.

it was easy enough in the Mondeo, well it was time consuming but I had never done anything like that before so took my time.

@mastachaz would be blue to give you more info I think

• Thanks 1

On 12/31/2018 at 3:36 PM, Marteeno said:

Hi,

Many thanks,

I can help first check if you have connector under cover on right side in your boot.
if you have I can help but you have to drive to me as need install new handle , loom & program your sync 3 system.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

It will do the job but you won’t get the zoom function or steering lines like you would with OEM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When you say the zoom function, I didn't know it had such a thing, I assumed that when I put it in reverse gear the entire screen would be filled with what the camera could see. I also had a feeling that there wouldn't be steering lines which I wasn't too fussed about. you mentioned OEM would something like this be closer to what you're talking about although MUCH more expensive:

https://www.nav.tv/products/ford-reverse-camera-input-sync-3-sync-2rev-camsync3

Thanks again.

When you say the zoom function, I didn't know it had such a thing, I assumed that when I put it in reverse gear the entire screen would be filled with what the camera could see. I also had a feeling that there wouldn't be steering lines which I wasn't too fussed about. you mentioned OEM would something like this be closer to what you're talking about although MUCH more expensive:

https://www.nav.tv/products/ford-reverse-camera-input-sync-3-sync-2rev-camsync3

Thanks again.

If you have the plug in the boot then you already have the input that you linked and all you are missing is the camera. 

The one you listed in the other post is a suitable camera and wiring but I can’t guarentee the fit or if the boot release mechanism would work correctly.

the steering guidelines are a gimmick really and the zoom function is useful if you have a tow bar, it eliminates guessing that you are lined up right or having someone guide you in. When I did my Mondeo I didn’t care about the guidelines because I know how to reverse and I know where my car is going to go when I turn the wheel, I just wanted that little extra vision to see a bollard or small child hidden below the rear screen visibility. Which is what a rear cam should be used for really.

to that end I used a camera like THIS ONE and it did the job perfectly. You just need to know which wires go where when it comes to the installation. 

11 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

If you have the plug in the boot then you already have the input that you linked and all you are missing is the camera. 

The one you listed in the other post is a suitable camera and wiring but I can’t guarentee the fit or if the boot release mechanism would work correctly.

the steering guidelines are a gimmick really and the zoom function is useful if you have a tow bar, it eliminates guessing that you are lined up right or having someone guide you in. When I did my Mondeo I didn’t care about the guidelines because I know how to reverse and I know where my car is going to go when I turn the wheel, I just wanted that little extra vision to see a bollard or small child hidden below the rear screen visibility. Which is what a rear cam should be used for really.

to that end I used a camera like THIS ONE and it did the job perfectly. You just need to know which wires go where when it comes to the installation. 

Thanks Jonro, I'll have a really good look at this and give it a go. Thanks again.

21 minutes ago, Marteeno said:

Thanks Jonro, I'll have a really good look at this and give it a go. Thanks again.

No problem.

my experience is with the Mondeo Mk5 however the principle is the same. 

If  @mastachaz  has any advice then his input would be of more value as he has done the upgrade on his own focus.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got the plug in the rear well. Genuine wiring loom in tailgate and genuine camera. Activated but still doesn't work. Not sure why but wait for nicer weather and try and sort it . Any ideas will be welcome. Even if I deactivate the camera the display still comes up with camera unavailable.  Slightly annoying...

25 minutes ago, fridaycider said:

I've got the plug in the rear well. Genuine wiring loom in tailgate and genuine camera. Activated but still doesn't work. Not sure why but wait for nicer weather and try and sort it . Any ideas will be welcome. Even if I deactivate the camera the display still comes up with camera unavailable.  Slightly annoying...

https://forum.xda-developers.com/windows-mobile/general/myford-touch-hack-enable-features-t3321397/post78744915#post78744915

try asking here

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I thought I'd come back and update. I tapped into the reverse light 12 volt feed to the camera and it works perfectly now. Know it's not ideal but in the summer I'll find out where the proper live feed ...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I had no plug in the rear wing, I had to run the wires all the way to the Sync3 screen and also purchase a new harness with an RCA socket. All working now though, and for a grand total of £356e637384600a848331b1f89fe97104fa.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Just now, Jonro2009 said:

I had no plug in the rear wing, I had to run the wires all the way to the Sync3 screen and also purchase a new harness with an RCA socket. All working now though, and for a grand total of £356e637384600a848331b1f89fe97104fa.jpg

looks a good bit of kit ☺️

• Thanks 1

On 2/15/2019 at 4:57 PM, Jonro2009 said:

Jonro,  Where did you get the kit for £35 ? I'd be really happy with that one. Thanks for the heads up.

15 minutes ago, Marteeno said:

Jonro,  Where did you get the kit for £35 ? I'd be really happy with that one. Thanks for the heads up.

This is the camera I have used, the image isn’t as sharp as I would have liked but it does the job and I am probably just being picky. I’m not unhappy with it.

Car Rover® Universal Car Reversing Backup Camera Parking Assiatance Waterproof https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B013AUMV12/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_oEiACbYV5BW2R

I ordered this 54 pin APIM adapter. It is perfect, good quality and fits nice and snug at both ends.

ZIZON 54 Pin Apim Connector Sync 1 Ford Camera Input Harness Cable with RCA Connector for Camera Extension on SYNC 2 or SYNC 3 for Ford Wiring Harness 14 Inches https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07G16KK4F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_4EiACb8SM7E9Z

You will also need a fuse piggyback, a modified EML327 cable and access to Forscan. I had all of these already so didn’t factor it in to the total cost, if you need to buy these then it’s about £2.99 for the piggyback and £15.00 for the cable so still dirt cheap if you compare it with another aftermarket kit. This works via the Sync unit and I don’t know many if any that will do that.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club