Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK6 1.6 TDCI ENGINE CUTTING,

Joe P

Hi all 

I have a 2008 zetec s TDCI 1.6 , 156,000 miles on the clock

In the past i've had a bit of a hunting issue when engine is idle / sitting in traffic , used some red-ex and the problem fixed itself . 

Recently im having an issue when the engine is cold and usually the following day after i have done a long distance journey ( 30 mins - hour ) , the engine is cutting out ( ENGINE POWER ONLY ) , and the reading of ''power assist fail '' on the dash ,,,,   the ignition needs to be turned off and on again to restart to which it does fine each time , sometimes it happens once and only on cold start up and on shorter journeys but the other day it was 4 times in the space of 10 minutes . 

Seen multiple/many  possibilities as to what it could be but am looking for advice from people that have had and fixed this problem in the past . 

Thanks in advance 

Hey Joe, have you used a diagnostic tool to see if any fault codes come up? Might narrow the problem if the ECU picks something up. Does it start normally on a cold start? No smoke, initial lumpy running or strong diesel smell? Do you service all the bits including the fuel filter? 

• Like 1

Power assist fail on the dash is being caused by the engine cutting out, it's of no help to the diagnosis.  Will need to have the codes read as Zain says. :smile: 

• Like 1

Hi mate 

I hav'nt as of yet but my colleague has a snap-on one that we will check out at the weekend ,  ,

starts first time on a cold morning no troubles,

no smoke black or white ,

no rough idle upon starting either.. 

Just double checking with the mechanic that did my last service in regards to fuel filter.

Thanks in advance 

48 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Power assist fail on the dash is being caused by the engine cutting out, it's of no help to the diagnosis.  Will need to have the codes read as Zain says. :smile: 

Would that message come up if you stalled the car also? I've only stalled mine twice since owning and I'm sure I havent got a message like that come so probably the ECU is noticing something. 

Joe I have the same car and engine but haven't experienced something like this so is an oddball. Reason I said to check the fuel filter is because its something not a lot of people change as the car would have problems starting when you change it. When I first serviced mine the fuel filter hadn't been changed for 6 years and it was filled with water. Something also you said is red ex temporarily fixed the problem so was thinking might be to do with fuel delivery. 

Zain ,

the red ex was only used to cure the problem of hunting i was experiencing probably 6 month ago. Back then i had no stalling/cutting out  mate 

Main issue im having now is the cut out of engine power but like you say that could be fuel also. , its so intermittent !!

my previous car was 2007 mk6.5 1.6tdci . I had problems with engine cutting out, mainly on left had corners (odd). Fault code reader said low fuel pressure. Changed fuel filter and it was fine.  I think from memory mine did come up with a message about the power steering assist fail, which i think was because I was steering the car and moving along with ignition on and engine not running (coasting with foot on clutch) so I think that message could be a red herring and nothing to do with what needs fixing. 

Is yours Mk6.5?  (electric power steering pump supplying fluid to hydraulic power steering rack)

• Like 1

On mk6.5 ford say change filter every 37,500 miles.  I had done approx 120k miles without filter being changed. Very difficult getting engine started after changing filter as need to get air out of fuel supply. I knew it was a pain which is why I had not changed filter when Ford siad so.

My problem had no link to cold starts and sometimes I had driven 25 miles (of my 33 miles to work each day) before it did it.

No point in doing anything else until fault code reader has been put on it.

ISETTA

Yep mine is the 6.5 , i will get a new fuel filter and change that over , i have since allowed the car to warm up for  few minutes before driving and touch wood the issue has not happened again however power seems hesitant around 1750rpm and 3000rpm. 

still reckon I would put fault code reader on it before doing anything else. If you change filter and spend all day trying to bleed air out to get the thing started again including charging up the battery again and find it made no difference you will kick yourself. And the fuel filters are not particularly cheap.

• 1 year later...

is the 1.6 duratorq engine diesel the same as the peugeot 1.6 hdi 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club