Do Not Sell My Personal Information

AWD turns off

Caledoniair

Hi

apologies if this subject has been talked about already.

I have a Ford Edge Sport 2016 and when in snow or slippy conditions the AWD turns off.  Did lots of times last year and going into this year concerned I’ll not get anywhere.   I paid £30k for a car I don’t trust.

i am arguing with the dealer that there is a fault who has put in a global ford query but has got nowhere.

anyone else had any issues.  I can turn on, drive 50 yards and it tells me it’s ‘turned off’ apparently as it’s overheated,

thanks in advance

Have any actual faults been identified when it is looked at by the Dealer. Fault Codes etc.

H

Hi

no fault codes at all.   The dealer updated it but according to the ‘car’ there is nothing wrong with it.

If something appears on the display take a photo of it so you can show your dealer.

When you say it turns off, do you get a message? It's an AWD system, not 4WD. So under light throttle usage, all the power is transferred to the front wheels. If you bring up the little display on the dash showing where the power is going, it will only give power to all wheels with heavy throttle usage. That is my understanding of the system anyway.

Mine goes to AWD when pulling away and then switches to FWD.

• 2 weeks later...

I have this also. It says on the dash 'AWD is off' or 'AWD disenaged' Not happened since last winter.

Neither has mine.

been to the garage but never happens with them, has no fault registered.   They have put it on as a Global problem but no reply.

had a bit of snow so far, stuck on winter tyres and will see what happens.

have taken photos and forwarded on to garage.

Have googled a bit and has said that if the system is ‘hot’ it will turn off.  Can’t be ‘hot’ after 50 yards.   Also Manuals are more susceptible than automatics.

will see what happens when we get a right dump of the white stuff!

• 2 months later...

I have had the same problem 3 times now in snow. 1st two occasions I wasn't in a position to take it to the dealer with the warning displayed and it clears after switching off, apparently no history is stored for this error. I did open a case with Ford CS which is still open.

When it happened this Feb I got it to the dealer with the error on and they did find codes but only did the 1st phase of tests that Ford Technical told them i.e. check tyre profiles and pressures were correct!!!!! They then cleared the codes but should have gone back to Technical before doing that for next lot of tests but as the codes were cleared I was told I'd have to wait until it happens again. Really!!!!!

My case was supposedly escalated but Technical have now come back today to say that is what it is supposed to do if the AWD overheats. Like Caledoniair the distance I'd actually travelled on snow was about 50 yards, the rest of the 3 mile journey was on melted snow so shouldn't have overheated. I did notice on this and 1 other occasion that it seemed to switch off as the car started to slip so wonder if it may be an issue with the traction control and AWD combined.

Next step is an email to Andy Barratt (CEO of Ford UK) as I consider this is not fit for purpose especially when Ford Spain produced a video of the Edge driving on a snow covered mountain and their online owner manual states the following;

Driving In Special Conditions With All-Wheel Drive (AWD)

AWD vehicles are equipped for driving on sand, snow, mud and rough roads and have operating characteristics that are somewhat different from conventional vehicles, both on and off the highway.

• 1 year later...
On 1/4/2019 at 1:54 AM, Caledoniair said:

Hi

apologies if this subject has been talked about already.

I have a Ford Edge Sport 2016 and when in snow or slippy conditions the AWD turns off.  Did lots of times last year and going into this year concerned I’ll not get anywhere.   I paid £30k for a car I don’t trust.

i am arguing with the dealer that there is a fault who has put in a global ford query but has got nowhere.

anyone else had any issues.  I can turn on, drive 50 yards and it tells me it’s ‘turned off’ apparently as it’s overheated,

thanks in advance

Hi, It happened to me yesterday just arriving on snow. How did You/Ford solved the problem?

I had this a couple of years ago on icy roads but never happened again until last week when I had a front punture and put the space saving spare on and after about a mile driving it showed AWD is off.

On 1/12/2021 at 5:31 PM, Fergieman said:

I had this a couple of years ago on icy roads but never happened again until last week when I had a front punture and put the space saving spare on and after about a mile driving it showed AWD is off.

If you had the space saver on, you’ll find that the rolling circumference of that tyre was different to the other on that axle.  The electronics would probably record this as a continual slippage and therefore disengage the 4WD to avoid causing any damage to the components.  Very unlikely to have caused any damage and most people get the tyre fixed to avoid running on the space saver for any length of time.  I think they are only good for a short distance anyway and should be used at 50mph or less. 

• 2 weeks later...

Could this be confliction between ABS, traction control and the AWD system? It sounds that this only occurs on slippery surfaces.

• 1 year later...
On 1/28/2021 at 12:24 PM, Yappy said:

Could this be confliction between ABS, traction control and the AWD system? It sounds that this only occurs on slippery surfaces.

All the tyre pressers have to be the same 2 PSI different will switch off AWD. 

Had the same problem on my Edge AWD 2016. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club