Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Diagnosis needed

Woods1997

Have a 2016 red edition zetec s, long story short had my suspension replaced on the drivers side and when I brake there is a sort of clunky grindy noise which happens at the same speed as the wheel going round. It also only happens when I've been driving for a period of time, when the car is cold it doesn't make the noise. 

Another issue is my steering wheel will squeak when turning it. When stationary and just turning the wheel it squeaks? 

Cheers for any suggestions.

Are the brake pads and discs ok as it sounds more likely to be those? Why did you only change one side of the suspension rather than the recommended both sides on the same axle?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WES180 said:

Are the brake pads and discs ok as it sounds more likely to be those? Why did you only change one side of the suspension rather than the recommended both sides on the same axle?

Hi Mate, went up a curb at 30/40mph and bent the suspension parts on the drivers side so had it all replaced. I had the garage supposedly inspect and clean the brakes + drums and they never said anything about them. 

It's a long shot but I had something similar and haven't noticed it since I sprayed the anti roll bushing with silicone spray. Might be worth a try. It was at low speed not just braking though. 

The way you describe the noise as being in tandem with the rotation of the wheel my money is on the brakes as the disc rotates on the hub with the wheel so that would make sense. Pop it into any fast fit centre and get a free brake check done to confirm or rule them out.

• Like 1

What about the steering wheel squeak when turning? 

17 hours ago, Woods1997 said:

What about the steering wheel squeak when turning? 

Is yours adjustable? If it is have you tried altering the position to see if it still does it? It might be fouling on the plastics behind the steering wheel.

18 hours ago, WES180 said:

Is yours adjustable? If it is have you tried altering the position to see if it still does it? It might be fouling on the plastics behind the steering wheel.

Adjusted the wheel and the sound is still there. Regarding the braking noise, took the car to the garage this morning and after him driving it he thinks it's gonna need all new discs and pads. Taking it to have a brake check tomorrow to confirm. Any other things it could be? 

30 minutes ago, Woods1997 said:

Regarding the braking noise, took the car to the garage this morning and after him driving it he thinks it's gonna need all new discs and pads. 

How convenient...  :rolleyes:  It sounds like either a warped disc or the hub wasn't cleaned properly when the disc was refitted so it's now sitting at an angle.  Do you feel any pulsing through the pedal when braking at speed?  Can you see any rust on the discs or do they still look shiny and new?

The steering wheel creak is probably just the clock spring, or a slightly dry bearing in the column, I've had it on quite a few cars, very common on VAG stuff!  Not really a fault as such so I just ignore it lol.

53 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

How convenient...  :rolleyes:  It sounds like either a warped disc or the hub wasn't cleaned properly when the disc was refitted so it's now sitting at an angle.  Do you feel any pulsing through the pedal when braking at speed?  Can you see any rust on the discs or do they still look shiny and new?

The steering wheel creak is probably just the clock spring, or a slightly dry bearing in the column, I've had it on quite a few cars, very common on VAG stuff!  Not really a fault as such so I just ignore it lol.

There is a little bit of judder so you're probably right. I've got a free brake check tomorrow so we'll see what they say and if so the garage will change the brakes Thursday. Just wish I could sort this steering wheel squeak as well 😂 cheers pal.

On 1/8/2019 at 12:39 PM, TomsFocus said:

Hi Mate, doesn't seem to be the brake discs/pads as I took it to Halfords at lunch time and they gave them a good check and they've said they can't find anything wrong with them? Pads look almost brand new apparently.

19 hours ago, Woods1997 said:

Hi Mate, doesn't seem to be the brake discs/pads as I took it to halfords at lunch time and they gave them a good check and they've said they can't find anything wrong with them? Pads look almost brand new apparently.

Are you in a position to jack up that wheel and have a look for yourself?  If so, take it for a good drive & get the brakes nice and hot.  Immediately jack it up and remove the wheel when you get home.  Turn the disc by hand (using a glove if it's still too hot to touch) and see if you can feel it getting it tight and then loose on each rotation.

The other possibility for a rhythmic noise is the wheel bearing or CV joint on the driveshaft, as it only happens under braking though, it is more likely to be caused by the brakes.

• 3 weeks later...

follow up - 

Took it to a golds garage which deals with ford warranty and they said the brake disc was worn so they replaced the discs & pads under warranty. 

Now the strange thing is the noise that i get under braking is quiter but is still there when braking after 10-15mins of driving. My front drivers side wheel also makes a squeak when driving?

Any suggestions as my last resort is taking it to a ford dealer and demanding it be looked at. 

Was it just that one brake disc worn?  The caliper might be sticking a bit if so, would also explain the squeak.

It's also possible the wheel bearing got slightly damaged in the kerb impact but not enough to feel with the usual 'wheel shake' bearing test.  Very difficult for us to guess without seeing it unfortunately.

29 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Was it just that one brake disc worn?  The caliper might be sticking a bit if so, would also explain the squeak.

It's also possible the wheel bearing got slightly damaged in the kerb impact but not enough to feel with the usual 'wheel shake' bearing test.  Very difficult for us to guess without seeing it unfortunately.

Sorry I meant worped, and yes the front drivers side disc was the only one worped.  

How should I test the bearing may I ask? 

Ah ok, discs do warp individually, it can be as simple as hitting a cold puddle with a hot brake disc to do that.

If the garage didn't feel anything wrong with the bearing, you probably won't either, but the simple test is to jack up the wheel and shake it with hands across the wheel (3 and 9 position if it was a clock face) and top to bottom (12 and 6).  It would have to be a 'try it and see' type of thing at this stage unfortunately.  Personally I'd live with it until it got worse rather than throw money at it without being able to diagnose for definite.

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Ah ok, discs do warp individually, it can be as simple as hitting a cold puddle with a hot brake disc to do that.

If the garage didn't feel anything wrong with the bearing, you probably won't either, but the simple test is to jack up the wheel and shake it with hands across the wheel (3 and 9 position if it was a clock face) and top to bottom (12 and 6).  It would have to be a 'try it and see' type of thing at this stage unfortunately.  Personally I'd live with it until it got worse rather than throw money at it without being able to diagnose for definite.

Am I meant to hear something wrong with the bearing or will the wheel just wobble?

You should feel a bit of play in it when shaking it, there must be YouTube vids on this, it's difficult to explain in text lol.

You can also try spinning it and listening for a squeal or a rumble, and feeling for a roughness.  But it's likely it needs the weight of driving on it to make the noise.

Car is booked in to Ford on Wednesday so will update on what they say. 

On 1/31/2019 at 6:49 PM, TomsFocus said:

You should feel a bit of play in it when shaking it, there must be YouTube vids on this, it's difficult to explain in text lol.

You can also try spinning it and listening for a squeal or a rumble, and feeling for a roughness.  But it's likely it needs the weight of driving on it to make the noise.

Hi mate, jacked the car up at lunch and span both tired and both seemed fine to me, no movement or roughness. I did spot something with the shock, the white plastic bit was half snapped. I'll add a picture later, could this be the cause of the creaking noise when slightly braking? 

As said, I doubt you'd notice any bearing issues at this early stage, that doesn't mean the bearing isn't at fault though.

Not sure which bit of plastic you mean so I'll wait for the pic. :smile:

13 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

As said, I doubt you'd notice any bearing issues at this early stage, that doesn't mean the bearing isn't at fault though.

I'll Jack my car back up at lunch and show you what I'm on about but this white part is half sheared off. 

20190205_090920.jpg

17 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Here you go.

20190205_124223.jpg

20190205_124302.jpg

• Like 1

Hmm, I'm not entirely sure why that's there tbh, I've changed a lot of shocks over the years and don't remember seeing anything like that before.  Maybe @iantt or @stef123 can tell us what it's purpose is?

I would say that can probably cause a squeak while the shock is moving up and down against it though.  Would think it also takes quite a force to break it so the damper is probably bent - I thought that was changed after the kerb incident though?

6 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Hmm, I'm not entirely sure why that's there tbh, I've changed a lot of shocks over the years and don't remember seeing anything like that before.  Maybe @iantt or @stef123 can tell us what it's purpose is?

I would say that can probably cause a squeak while the shock is moving up and down against it though.  Would think it also takes quite a force to break it so the damper is probably bent - I thought that was changed after the kerb incident though?

This is what the garage did.

Screenshot_20190205-130801_Gallery.jpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club