Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How to replace glove box light Focus Mk2?

StephenFord

How do you replace the glove box bulb on a 2005 Mk2? I can see the bulb, but cannot see how to access it to change it!

just need to remove the glove box, should be 4 or 5 screws holding it in place

Torx screws t25 just replaced mine about 5 mind ago. 2 in top 3 under caps at the bottom facia of the tray

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, andypsp said:

just need to remove the glove box, should be 4 or 5 screws holding it in place

What an appalling design! I have a 20 year old Merc built like a tank, and can change the bulb by removing the lens by hand with no tools at all LOL Wonder why Ford made this 1 minute task so complicated...

10 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

What an appalling design! I have a 20 year old Merc built like a tank, and can change the bulb by removing the lens by hand with no tools at all LOL Wonder why Ford made this 1 minute task so complicated...

So complicated? It's only 5 screws! 😂

• Haha 1

Just now, WES180 said:

So complicated? It's only 5 screws! 😂

Yes, the removal of a whole glove box to replace a small push in bulb is over complicated... 😀

55 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Yes, the removal of a whole glove box to replace a small push in bulb is over complicated... 😀

you`ll get the hang of it, while you have the glove box out you can do the pollen filter too, as it will save you doing it all over again :wacko:

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, andypsp said:

you`ll get the hang of it, while you have the glove box out you can do the pollen filter too, as it will save you doing it all over again :wacko:

Many thanks for this, however, all filters already replaced. Only got car a week, and it's had one owner from new and never missed a service by more than 50 miles! Most done by main Ford dealer. He drove through one of our floods last month and destroyed the engine. A mechanic I know bought it, intending to restore it as a 'courtesy' car for his business. He replaced the engine, new clutch, new timing kit, new water pump, new brake pads, new filters all round, the condition made me persuade him to sell it to me! It's all so minty fresh LOL

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Abject failure! Got round to trying this small task earlier, removed the 5 x T25 screws no problem. Then, on trying to remove the internal glove box, it wouldn't budge! The bottom feels as if it would wiggle out, but the top appears to be held in so tight, it doesn't' move a single mm. I was contemplating using a flathead screwdriver, but the plastic is that cheap that I know I would only end up marking it. So after 20 minutes of struggle, I just gave up.

I still maintain it's an awful design to replace a bulb. All Ford needed to do was cut the light aperture into a large enough rectangle to allow a couple of fingers in to do the task. For lowly models like mine, you could have just keep it a hole, and for posher model, you could have put a light diffuser on it! Just like they did in the luggage compartment.  I'm sure they had their reasons for doing it like they did (probably cost), but my goodness it's irritating!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Abject failure! Got round to trying this small task earlier, removed the 5 x T25 screws no problem. Then, on trying to remove the internal glove box, it wouldn't budge! The bottom feels as if it would wiggle out, but the top appears to be held in so tight, it doesn't' move a single mm. I was contemplating using a flathead screwdriver, but the plastic is that cheap that I know I would only end up marking it. So after 20 minutes of struggle, I just gave up.

I still maintain it's an awful design to replace a bulb. All Ford needed to do was cut the light aperture into a large enough rectangle to allow a couple of fingers in to do the task. For lowly models like mine, you could have just keep it a hole, and for posher model, you could have put a light diffuser on it! Just like they did in the luggage compartment.  I'm sure they had their reasons for doing it like they did (probably cost), but my goodness it's irritating!

That's odd I've done mine 12-13 times and it should just pull out once the bolts are removed.

I think I've figured out why you're struggling, there are actually 7 bolts to remove, 3 at the bottom and 4 at the top.  At the top there are 2 bolts that are exposed (1 near each corner) and 2 that hold the lock/latch mechanism in place, I suspect due to the advice above you've probably not realised the lock/latch bolts also need to come out.

• Like 2

Wow, what a fabulous piece of advice, thank you. I've just gone out with a torch and can confirm I totally missed those 2 x 'latch' bots as they are slightly recessed and I just never noticed them. Indeed the earlier '5 screw' mention did confuse the situation!  I will try again in daylight, but I'm confident now with your help that I can remove the box. So glad I didn't try to lever it out earlier, I would have made a right mess! See, a little knowledge can be dangerous LOL

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Wow, what a fabulous piece of advice, thank you. I've just gone out with a torch and can confirm I totally missed those 2 x 'latch' bots as they are slightly recessed and I just never noticed them. Indeed the earlier '5 screw' mention did confuse the situation!  I will try again in daylight, but I'm confident now with your help that I can remove the box. So glad I didn't try to lever it out earlier, I would have made a right mess! See, a little knowledge can be dangerous LOL

Been there and done that myself mate, brute force has its place but generally not when it comes to removing interior trim parts! :biggrin:

• Like 1

My latch ain't bolted on just sits in place which is why I said 5. Never has had 7 in the almost 8 years I've owned it.. 😂 

No worries, mine though definitely has them...

...1018487029_2latchboltsLoRes.thumb.jpg.a2f37ab7250b96790c2bcef5c3ade2fd.jpg

43 minutes ago, martyntdci said:

DSC_0395.JPG

2 screws missing from there lol :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I know that know 😂 😂 I think il leave them out, less hastle for next time 😂 

• Haha 1

Well, that was certainly easier once all 7 bolts are removed! Still a palava just to get access to replace a bulb, but I'm very pleased with my LED replacement...

Image00001.thumb.jpg.ca25322418942130789229fc989f6fb9.jpg

• Like 1

It is definitely a lot more "faffy" that it needs to be, just to change a w5w bulb. :wallbash:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club