Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus CD6000 Powers up but no sound

Grunthos the Flatulent

Hello everyone, here I go with my first post!!

I bought myself a little 2005 Focus 1.4 Studio as my Saab isn't very well at the moment.

The car itself will do me very nicely but I've no music! The radio turns itself on, tunes in but no sound. I mean nothing, no hiss, no muffled sound, nothing!

Not sure if it's connected to my problem but the young lady I bought it from had left the passenger window down slightly for about a month and the inside of the car was quite damp. The dashboard lights would light up randomly with quirky little things like when I put the high beam on, the engine management light would come on and the door open light would be on the same time as the handbrake! This has dried up now and the dash works perfectly.

So I have to sort out my tunes!

Any help you can offer me will be greatly appreciated.

I think you need to pull radio out of dash and check connectors at the back of it first. You probably need some of those flat metal tools to release the radio

• Like 1

Yep, got those and all seems well.

I thought it might be the radio itself so I got another one off eBay but still no joy.

I've had one or two dodgy Speakers in the past, but not all of them!

Check that the speaker connector block pins are seated correctly and be prepared to check continuity to the Speakers.
Have you checked that you have rear Speakers fitted and if not that the fader settings aren't adjusted to rear bias only?

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

Despite being rare I have seen 4 defective Speakers quite a few times before on the Focus MK2/MK2.5. The original radio has a Philips amplifier IC. This amplifier IC is known to have issues. In case of a shorted speaker (or speaker wire) the amplifier IC should enter protection mode and disable the particular speaker output. However in some cases instead of entering protection mode the amplifier IC can put 12 Volt battery power on all Speakers which immediately kills all Speakers.  

Just mesure the resistance of all speakers. If all speakers are defective you should replace both the radio and the speakers. When only replacing the speakers there is a huge chance that the problem reoccurs.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

Despite being rare I have seen 4 defective speakers quite a few times before on the Focus MK2/MK2.5. The original radio has a Philips amplifier IC. This amplifier IC is known to have issues. In case of a shorted speaker (or speaker wire) the amplifier IC should enter protection mode and disable the particular speaker output. However in some cases instead of entering protection mode the amplifier IC can put 12 Volt battery power on all speakers which immediately kills all speakers.  

Just mesure the resistance of all speakers. If all speakers are defective you should replace both the radio and the speakers. When only replacing the speakers there is a huge chance that the problem reoccurs.

I assume this phenomenon will only kill all 4 Speakers, and not just the rear ones. I ask, as my 2005 Focus when bought suggested all 4 Speakers worked, by having the fade option available on the front fascia. But only the front actually worked, and once the unit was discounted, fade option disappeared. 

Since then, I have replaced both rear Speakers, and assume a previous owner had no idea about using the bass increase feature without blowing speakers! 

• Like 1

That's weird, I had the exact same fault with my Focus just before Christmas, I was listening to the radio, I heard a loud strange crackle, and the display went dead. A few seconds it all cam back on again, but no sound whatsoever. As it happened I was 2 minutes away from the garage where I'd bought her so drove straight there. The mechanic removed the radio, fiddled at the back connector, re-installed, entered code, and voila, perfect sound again and she' s been working ever since. I know one of the previous posts says it's possible to have 4 simultaneous faulty Speakers, but the odds on that must be higher than Jeremy Clarkson returning to Top Gear! LOL

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions.

I only have the bum basic 3 door model so not sure if it's got rear Speakers. I do know that the front Speakers in the doors have 4 wires going into them. Although there is a fader/balance button on the radio, if I press it it goes only to balance. There is no option to fade.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the radio and Speakers? I've jury rigged a speaker tester so I shall try tomorrow (only just got home after 6 days away!!)

I have noticed that there seems to be a seperate plug with only 2 wires coming out of it. They don't follow the course of the main wire bundle, they go off towards the drivers side. Any idea what these are?

I'll report back when I have some news.

Back again!

I've no continuity through my Speakers so I guess they're knackered!

As this is only a stop gap car, I think I'll leave it as I don't really want to spend any money on something I won't be keeping very long.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Grunthos the Flatulent said:

Back again!

I've no continuity through my speakers so I guess they're knackered!

As this is only a stop gap car, I think I'll leave it as I don't really want to spend any money on something I won't be keeping very long.

Get a decent bluetooth speaker and just use that? 😛

• 1 year later...

I've had this issue for years on my 55 plate Ghia and it's driving me mad. 

I've only got sound coming from the two door tweeters and nothing from all four main Speakers. The only difference i have is that i know the Speakers work because occasionally they'll all come on again for a short while then go off again. 

Any ideas?

• 2 years later...
On 4/19/2020 at 12:12 PM, fladavid said:

I've had this issue for years on my 55 plate Ghia and it's driving me mad. 

I've only got sound coming from the two door tweeters and nothing from all four main Speakers. The only difference i have is that i know the Speakers work because occasionally they'll all come on again for a short while then go off again. 

Any ideas?

did you get this sorted this is happening on my 57 focus

I would definitely suspect Speakers as being faulty, when I did the following test on my car I discovered my 2 x rear Speakers don't work, not a great leap to think that eventually the front 2 will self destruct as well...

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club