Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Advice Buying: Amazon Echo

Lenny

Hi all, 

I'm looking for advice from any of you whom have an amazon Echo or Dot etc. 

I'm not purchasing for myself and I don't have one, I'll be purchasing one next week as a gift for my mother whom lives alone, 

She's 69 this year and although she doesn't have a smart phone, can't operate a computer and can't operate a tablet, She does have an internet connection in the home as part of her television subscription package, 

I though an amazon Echo would be a good companion for setting reminders, asking questions without having to use a computer and perhaps get her a few bulbs for her birthday which Alexa could control.

I have a few questions regarding the devices; 

I understand the Echo has a built in smart hub which can control compatible light bulbs and switches, 

Which makes me favour the Echo model, 

Questions:

I will need to use a tablet or laptop in order to setup the device on to her wifi network, But will it work on its own after the initial setup? 

I suppose it needs to be linked with an amazon account, so I'll need to setup an email address and Amazon account for her?

Will the reminders work independently by just asking Alexa to remind or Set alarm, 

Will music requests work without having to set up a playlist? 

I've watched a few YouTube videos of unboxing and stuff but nothing to say how it works independent of any other devices.

Thanks for all potential information guys 👍

I will need to use a tablet or laptop in order to setup the device on to her wifi network, But will it work on its own after the initial setup?  yes it will. Just use her tablet, download the Alexa app and follow the instructions. In the app, you can disable the function where you can place an order by speaking to Alexa, I did this

I suppose it needs to be linked with an amazon account, so I'll need to setup an email address and amazon account for her? I believe so, should be straight forward enough.

Will the reminders work independently by just asking Alexa to remind or Set alarm, Yes (from memory) only tried it once myself.

Will music requests work without having to set up a playlist Not sure what music will be available if you just have a basic (non Prime) account, but there should be "stations" that play all sorts. Download the amazon music app to see whats available, though you don't necessarily need it to play music, just easy to see what you can get for free.......Update: just tried Amazon music with my non prime account and I couldn't play anything...kept asking me to join up. I could only play music that I had bought previously.

Edited by Frembrit
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lenny said:

Will music requests work without having to set up a playlist? 

I think Frembit above has answered most things better than I could, we have a subscription to amazon music at £3.99 (I think) a month and has found just about any time we've asked it. 

I don't know your mother obviously, but if she has a broad accent Alexa may struggle to understand! We've certainly had times where we've had to speak like a BBC newsreader to get her to understand! 🙄

WARNING!!!! LANGUAGE NOT SUITABLE FOR LITTLE EARS!!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Frembrit said:

I will need to use a tablet or laptop in order to setup the device on to her wifi network, But will it work on its own after the initial setup?  yes it will. Just use her tablet, download the Alexa app and follow the instructions. In the app, you can disable the function where you can place an order by speaking to Alexa, I did this

I suppose it needs to be linked with an Amazon account, so I'll need to setup an email address and Amazon account for her? I believe so, should be straight forward enough.

Will the reminders work independently by just asking alexa to remind or Set alarm, Yes (from memory) only tried it once myself.

Will music requests work without having to set up a playlist Not sure what music will be available if you just have a basic (non Prime) account, but there should be "stations" that play all sorts. Download the Amazon Music app to see whats available, though you don't necessarily need it to play music, just easy to see what you can get for free.......Update: just tried Amazon music with my non prime account and I couldn't play anything...kept asking me to join up. I could only play music that I had bought previously.

Thanks very much for taking the time to go through my questions mate, I have prime membership on my own personal account; i didn't want to put the Echo on my account because I was afraid my nieces or nephews would think it funny to order stuff, 

But you said; that feature can be disabled, that's a total game changer for me because I can now possibly register the device on my prime account without her having to pay any extra and me not worrying about getting billed for anything, 

The reminder feature should help her a bit as she's starting to forget some things regarding time of day to prepare to go somewhere. 

1 hour ago, Turvey said:

I think Frembit above has answered most things better than I could, we have a subscription to Amazon music at £3.99 (I think) a month and has found just about any time we've asked it. 

I don't know your mother obviously, but if she has a broad accent Alexa may struggle to understand! We've certainly had times where we've had to speak like a BBC newsreader to get her to understand! 🙄

WARNING!!!! LANGUAGE NOT SUITABLE FOR LITTLE EARS!!! 

My mother has a Belfast accent so fingers crossed 😆 im more Connor McGregor accent myself, having moved 17 years ago now

Poor Scottish woman 😭 brilliant 😂

I have Spotify which I don't really want to share because if I'm listening to it, others on my account would change the track, 

I wouldn't mind paying an extra £3.99 on my subscription if it ment it played any song on request, 

Does it really play almost any song you ask with amazon music? Well providing you talk like Dell boy 😉

She would love that be over the moon with it, 

30 minutes ago, Lenny said:

I wouldn't mind paying an extra £3.99 on my subscription if it ment it played any song on request, 

Does it really play almost any song you ask with Amazon music? Well providing you talk like Dell boy 😉

Pretty much everything we've asked her she's played...... apart from this which my mum wanted to hear 🙄

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Turvey said:

Pretty much everything we've asked her she's played...... apart from this which my mum wanted to hear 🙄

😅 aw I'm raging it doesn't know that one, be a great wake up tune to get you out the door quick 

Being a Prime member for £80 per year (£40 for students) allows you to play most songs for free. However there is the amazon music Unlimited option for another £7.99 per month (I don't pay for that) which gives you access to everything they have I think, even new releases.

As you have Prime already, download the app to your phone/tablet/laptop and have a look at what you get already. Bear in mind though, if you stay with just the Prime account, you will only be able to play music to one Echo at a time. So if your mum is playing something and then you want to on your Echo, it will ask if you want to stop playing on your mums Echo first. But I'm not sure if the Unlimited account lets you play music to more than one device at a time, you'll have to check.

• Thanks 1

My parents have one, keep meaning to set it up to their own account so that my friends don't call my parents by mistake...

They all have the useful "Drop in" feature, you can set it up so that certain contacts can just drop-in on the Echo, and hear/talk to the other end. This might be quite useful for you especially if there are any concerns to how she is at any point (not answering the phone for instance).

My parents also have a Hive installed and linked, so they can find out the current internal temperature and boost the heating without even getting up.

Smart bulbs are a different matter - there are so many to choose from that all get set up slightly differently. I have been looking at the Ikea range, as they supposedly work with the Echo's without any kind of hub (or with just one plug in hub).

• Thanks 1

On 1/6/2019 at 9:02 PM, Frembrit said:

Being a Prime member for £80 per year (£40 for students) allows you to play most songs for free. However there is the Amazon Music Unlimited option for another £7.99 per month (I don't pay for that) which gives you access to everything they have I think, even new releases.

As you have Prime already, download the app to your phone/tablet/laptop and have a look at what you get already. Bear in mind though, if you stay with just the Prime account, you will only be able to play music to one Echo at a time. So if your mum is playing something and then you want to on your Echo, it will ask if you want to stop playing on your mums Echo first. But I'm not sure if the Unlimited account lets you play music to more than one device at a time, you'll have to check.

Thanks,

I've asked around in work and spoken to a colleague in Ireland whom is originally from London and has an amazon Echo and he has told me;

Unfortunately amazon music isint available in the republic of Ireland, he says I can sign up to it but it won't allow me to listen to anything unless I'm in the UK,

There are also some restrictions on amazon Prime video which I've experienced myself it says "This Video cannot be played while your abroad" so I'll have to go on holiday to catch up on some box sets 😄

He says the only alternative for people outside of the UK is to setup a Spotify account, 

I've already got my own Spotify subscription currently €10 per month,

So I'm going to change that to a family account which will cost me €15 per month instead which he says will operate much the same as prime music

Just thought I'd add that information here for other potential readers aswell, this thread may continue to assist others aswell. 

10 hours ago, Micro said:

My parents have one, keep meaning to set it up to their own account so that my friends don't call my parents by mistake...

They all have the useful "Drop in" feature, you can set it up so that certain contacts can just drop-in on the Echo, and hear/talk to the other end. This might be quite useful for you especially if there are any concerns to how she is at any point (not answering the phone for instance).

Thanks, 

Initially I was going to set an Amazon Echo plus for my mother on my own Amazon account and just disable the voice purchase capability this way she could avail of the Prime membership I pay for, 

But having discovered that Amazon music doesn't work in The Republic of Ireland aswell as the more I read up about the Amazon devices; The more I would like one for myself ☺

I'm now going to set up her own personal Amazon account and upgrade my Spotify subscription to a family account which will give her a personal profile aswell, 

That's a great feature being able to call via the device and I appreciate your consideration regarding not answering the phone as she is bad on the feet and has fallen a few times, 

On the other side of things though; I have two brothers and two sisters well mainly one sister hates us all and is quite nosey, 

I'll post the following question in a new post for quoting to keep the quote box small ☺

@Micro

If the sister was to get an amazon device; could she silently be listening in to conversations taking place in my mother's? Because sometimes they all get a bit vindictive towards each other as families tend to do when they think there's inheritance to be had instead of working for themselves. Whoops here I go at it now on open forum myself 🙊 

My parents also have a Hive installed and linked, so they can find out the current internal temperature and boost the heating without even getting up.

Smart bulbs are a different matter - there are so many to choose from that all get set up slightly differently. I have been looking at the Ikea range, as they supposedly work with the Echo's without any kind of hub (or with just one plug in hub).

Ive been in contact with my mother and asked if the amazon device is somthing she had heard of or would like because there are some people whom wouldn't have one in the house, 

I asked her to ask the rest of the family as they visit; before I purchased one, to see what the general consensus was in regards to such devices, 

They all seemed happy enough to visit if one was in the house and some of them hadn't heard about the device but thought it a great idea for my/there mother, 

So getting to the response now; I told her in the mildest way possible; if the Echo model can understand her accent and she's happy with it then I'll purchase a 3rd Generation Dot for her bedroom, as she likes to listen to a certain radio station and reception is difficult in 

Good point there about the choice of bulb brand ideally chose one that is compatible with the Echo smart built in hub, so there's no need to fit a third party hub also finding a reliable and affordable brand that works directly with amazon because once a brand chosen is chosen it's best to stick with it for further expansion of the smart home avoiding the need for additional third party hubs.

19 minutes ago, Lenny said:

So getting to the response now; I told her in the mildest way possible; if the Echo model can understand her accent and she's happy with it then I'll purchase a 3rd Generation Dot for her bedroom, as she likes to listen to a certain radio station and reception is difficult in 

Hasn't the 3rd Gen gone back to full price now?  I purchased one for a family member on Black Friday at less than half price, well worth it at that but I wouldn't pay £50 for one personally.  They seem to be getting on well with it btw. :smile: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Hasn't the 3rd Gen gone back to full price now?  I purchased one for a family member on Black Friday at less than half price, well worth it at that but I wouldn't pay £50 for one personally.  They seem to be getting on well with it btw. :smile: 

Currently £50 for one or £59 for two on amazon UK, but now says expecting stock in February 

There selling for €80 each at Argos.ie 

15 hours ago, Lenny said:

@Micro

If the sister was to get an Amazon device; could she silently be listening in to conversations taking place in my mother's? Because sometimes they all get a bit vindictive towards each other as families tend to do when they think there's inheritance to be had instead of working for themselves. Whoops here I go at it now on open forum myself 🙊 

You set it up per device. You have to specify which contacts can just "drop in", others can only call as normal (your mum would need to answer). Iirc it plays a tone then turns green whilst dropped in so obvious someone has done so.

Wait for the next sale for buying Amazons devices though - £25 for an echo dot in black friday.

11 hours ago, Lenny said:

Currently £50 for one or £59 for two on Amazon UK, but now says expecting stock in February 

There selling for €80 each at Argos.ie 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Micro said:

You set it up per device. You have to specify which contacts can just "drop in", others can only call as normal (your mum would need to answer). Iirc it plays a tone then turns green whilst dropped in so obvious someone has done so.

Excellent it's easy to see then if someone's listening thanks to you and everyone else whom has taken the time to post all the information so far, 

8 hours ago, Micro said:

Wait for the next sale for buying Amazons devices though - £25 for an echo dot in black friday.

I will do mate, I didn't know they were selling that cheap around Christmas and unfortunately I'm a month behind in thinking of purchasing for her, 

Overall update then so far; for anyone whom may be interested in getting in to smart home for a relative or themselves, 

Ive purchased an "amazon Echo Plus 2nd Gen" came with a free Philips Hue bulb 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H2W3HDM/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_awdo_WVAoCbNTB3YY5 

Ive also purchased 4 Pack "TECKIN WiFi Socket"  https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JFJQ3ZP/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_awdo_lYAoCb80BMGA3 

The reviews seem good on these sockets and says they work directly with amazon devices; no additional hub required, 

Purchased a "Hive Active Heating Thermostat" https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B011B3J6KY/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_awdo_UcBoCbQQDYXBB 

She currently has a basic heating time clock with no thermostat on the system

54531ad0d0a98aa780a95709d868f997043cbf41.JPG.thumb.jpg.d22689526d693c11cf5b693918fc43e2.jpgwhen we were up visiting at Christmas she asked me to turn on the heating for her and was saying about arthritis in her fingers causing difficulty in moving the teeth segments in and out to activate heating, so this Hive device will control the heating aswell as temperatures and it also works with Alexa 👍 it should save on heating costs too.

Since she doesn't have or want a computer as we tried all that and she can't use one; she then can't use YouTube or Google like the rest of us might to look up videos and learn about devices, as result I've purchased some books 

"Alexa for Dummies"

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1119565863/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_awdo_W-AoCbT64RYHD 

And another book 

"amazon Alexa Ultimate User Guide" 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1977082734/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_awdo_0.AoCbTFFFJET 

My mother lives almost 300km away from me as Ive moved away from the home area seventeen years ago, 

My plan was to piece everything together then arrive next weekend and connect it all up; as I don't want to be traveling up and down the country too many times with additional bits specially in the same month, as the increase in miles soon brings on the service interval of the car and I'm funding all this out of my own pocket to help improve her overall well being as she's survived colon cancer, breast cancer and is bad on the feet since an accident in 1994 has a plate for an ankle,

now arthritis Hopfully these devices will help not to remind her of the disabilities setting in by turning on a light remotely; instead of her reaching in or turning the heating, restore normality and remove depression.

I was only supposed to be fitting her television on the wall next weekend as having saw ours mounted on the wall; She asked me at Christmas would it be possible to get some longer cables for her television to go on the wall saving her space in the living room, 

Now I'm doing that and installing a smart home aswell as putting her television on the wall 😅 it's good though I like helping out once or twice per year and I never take anything in return.

I communicate regurally on the phone once or twice per week if she wasn't in great form on the first call, so once it's all physically installed it should be just operating advice .

I'm looking forward to seeing it all operating and if it understand her accent well; then I'll purchase an Amazon Dot in the spring sale or somthing,

But at the moment having purchased all of the above aswell as a few 4M HDMI cables for her tv and paying my own household bills I won't be buying anything else until feburary not even a burger from McDonald's I'm out😂

I'll update at a later date on how it's all hooked up and any positives or negatives 

Thanks for all whom have commented to help me make the correct choices here I really appreciate it 

Don't let me scare you, but I would be cautious using "no-name" wireless sockets to control anything high load or with a potential to catch fire if it were to remain on when you ask it to go off. There are some youtube videos on failed wireless sockets where they stick in the on position (and those sockets that say they're rated to 13A but can't handle any more than 10A without getting lava hot.

Are you going to get the Hive professionally installed or do it yourself? Installed mine in about an hour, but had to wire directly to the boilers stat connections as previously had a wireless stat. Yours may be easier as the Hive receiver may wire directly into the boiler using the cables that currently feed the time clock (or fit the backplate if there is one already on the wall).

On 1/14/2019 at 12:24 AM, Micro said:

Don't let me scare you, but I would be cautious using "no-name" wireless sockets to control anything high load or with a potential to catch fire if it were to remain on when you ask it to go off. There are some youtube videos on failed wireless sockets where they stick in the on position (and those sockets that say they're rated to 13A but can't handle any more than 10A without getting lava hot.

I was worried about the wifi sockets prior to purchasing as I was aware of some getting hot but I wasn't aware of them going on fire🔥 

I thought they were fairly well manufactured from looking at the layout of the listing here and the price of them being almost £45.00 for a 4 pack which I suppose isint that expensive when divided down.

1986992836_Screenshot_20190114-094414_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.19fc00bb0bcc3c9eeb5e2400e8320e59.jpg

1839736705_Screenshot_20190114-094349_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.4bffde1a7fbe52bcf2cc647e1979a608.jpg

Think I'll leave these back without opening them at all, I see there are Genuine amazon sockets available; I'll get maybe two of those instead and be confident there not going to ignite.

On 1/14/2019 at 12:24 AM, Micro said:

Are you going to get the Hive professionally installed or do it yourself? Installed mine in about an hour, but had to wire directly to the boilers stat connections as previously had a wireless stat. Yours may be easier as the Hive receiver may wire directly into the boiler using the cables that currently feed the time clock (or fit the backplate if there is one already on the wall).

My dads going to drop down when I'm there and install it for me hes a retired lecturer of electrical technology basically teached apprentice electricians, so I suppose you could say professional install without the cost lol 

Once it's working though it doesn't really matter who fitted it I suppose, 

The boiler is kerosene and not Gas, had it been Gas I'd have went for the arrive and Install method to ensure compliance with gas regulations.

There's only three wires on the existing time clock she has fitted,

Thanks for saying about the sockets I'm going to change them then everything will be either amazon, Philips or Hive branded which are all 100% safe.

1 hour ago, Lenny said:

I was worried about the wifi sockets prior to purchasing as I was aware of some getting hot but I wasn't aware of them going on fire🔥 

My dads going to drop down when I'm there and install it for me hes a retired lecturer of electrical technology basically teached apprentice electricians, so I suppose you could say professional install without the cost lol 

Once it's working though it doesn't really matter who fitted it I suppose, 

The boiler is kerosene and not Gas, had it been Gas I'd have went for the arrive and Install method to ensure compliance with gas regulations.

There's only three wires on the existing time clock she has fitted,

Thanks for saying about the sockets I'm going to change them then everything will be either Amazon, Philips of Hive branded should be safer.

Just going off previous reading - i'm not saying the sockets themselves will definitely catch fire, but if they were to fail, any devices attached to them could remain on. Obviously that is not something you want if you're running anything that has a low safe duty cycle.

3 wires means you've probably got an incoming Live, Neutral, and a switch line (which the timeclock probably switches 240V to when turning on). The install guide with the Hive is pretty useful and explanatory and there is a circuit diagram on the back of the Hive Receiver which shows how it switches things.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Micro said:

Just going off previous reading - i'm not saying the sockets themselves will definitely catch fire, but if they were to fail, any devices attached to them could remain on. Obviously that is not something you want if you're running anything that has a low safe duty cycle.

I appreciate your input mate,

I was sort of warey about the wifi sockets which i had purchased and when you said about it being possibe too; then I'm not taking the chance because there wouldn't be anyone there capable of acting fast 

Also can't see this seller making much profit with his wifi sockets 😀 check out the name "Hot Smart UK socket https://m.ebay.ie/itm/392167611644 

I'm leaving the purchased sockets back and I'll stick to Genuine amazon sockets moving forward just for my own peace of mind, as I may take risks with some things in my own home but not in someone else's, best to do the best possible job throughout.

1 hour ago, Micro said:

3 wires means you've probably got an incoming Live, Neutral, and a switch line (which the timeclock probably switches 240V to when turning on). The install guide with the Hive is pretty useful and explanatory and there is a circuit diagram on the back of the Hive Receiver which shows how it switches things.

Excellent thanks mate, I'm purchasing the Hive from a shop here in Ireland on Thursday because I need it for Saturday and I don't get paid until Thursday so couldn't order until then, 

Local Argos have it aswell as electrical store, so it's good to know that there's an easy to follow guide in there and I've watched an unboxing YouTube video, My dad's not too familiar with LAN routers but if he wires in the receiver I'll show him the LAN router which he should understand no problem; and most likely finish my sentence for me ☺

• 6 months later...

Update; 

Thought it might be good to keep the information together, 

Well its been almost seven months since I first started this thread and things have gone really well with the integration of smart home technology to my mother's house whom can't use a computer atall,.

We first started off with an "amazon Echo Plus" to see how it would go;

On Saturday 19th January I took it off from the usual six day week of work routine to travel 287km up to my mother with a few gifts for the house to make her life easier by eliminating methods which she has difficulty completing,

My mother is 69 this year,

She lives alone and has a plate for an ankle bone since 1994, had breast cancer and colon cancer, as result of scar tissue within the colon; is on a liquid diet for life now, 

I phone once or twice per month and visit around three or four times per year due to my busy schedule with work and financially keeping my own family,

We went up to visit between Christmas and New year; 

She's bad on the feet as the left foot can't bend, and her right hand is now starting to stiffen up with arthritis,

The foot is a long term issue but the arthritis in the hand is/was really depressing her because she can't turn on a normal tap, or pull out segments on the heating time clock,

She's also afraid of dropping the kettle when making tea, The left hand doesn't have much strength as the breast cancer had an affect on her arm,

APT-Immersion-Heater-Controller-IMM24-c.thumb.jpg.5f333cd60fcaf3c6d1e688511288e875.jpg

She started turning the heating time clock wheel to get the heat to come on but that then changed the time; resulting in the heating coming on at random hours costing money when not required.

All background story said now;

I went home and had a think about how I could improve things and reduce her depression without medication; she wakes up happy but through the course of the day; becomes depressed from the little disability reminders. 

My dad agreed to change to kitchen taps to ones with tabs which turn 90 degree was a great help, 

I started saving some money as soon as I went home after Christmas and put off a bill or two until feburary which enabled me to purchase a few items to make her life easier, 

Aswell as creating this thread; I began to shop around online and across the weeks of January pieced together everything with the intention of fitting in all in a single visit, 

I then took the day off overtime at work and went up to install everything, 

She wanted her living room television on the wall after seeing ours done like that, so I agreed to do it as a late Christmas present, 

So I had some 75x50 PVC trunking left over from the attic, I took a chip of wall paint from her living room at Christmas and bought a matching sample pot from B&Q, ordered some 4 metre HDMI cables and a six socket power strip, 

I then purchased a mechanical oil level gauge which is around 3" inches in size of the gauge, no batteries or dodgy radar it's float sits on top of the oil for accuracy without maintenance https://purchase.ie/product/energy-saving/oil-tank-gauge-3 makes it easier for her to budget knowing what's in the kerosene tank.Oil-Tank-Gauge.jpg.d4cc218f91b93eaeff9cd96a24977d0d.jpg

I then went to Currys and picked up a Brevelle instant hot water kettle, it has a volume control to suit cup size, just push button and it passively heats the water when it comes through, no lifting excess weight and no hot water in the resivour only what's inside the cup, 

u_04013995.thumb.jpg.9fd1812ff64558fde3ef630f5c44b5a5.jpg

She can fill the resivour using a cup or small jug eliminating the need to lift a kettle or risk of dropping the kettle.

She was delighted with that, 

Moving on from this; she's paying for broadband service as part of her home phone and tv package; but she doesn't know how to use a computer or anything like that she doesn't have a smart phone just a simple Nokia, 

As result she couldn't use a wifi socket on a smart phone to switch on a light in the living room, 

But there was another way; I done some research online aswell as communicating with some helpful people on here to discover I could use my smartphone to initialize an amazon Echo Plus which she can then use completely independently of any other devices to switch on and off things using her voice, it would also be a source of online information, since she's already paying for broadband.

So I dug deep and bought an amazon Echo plus, a Hive Active Heating Control kit, a Philips hue bulb and an Amazon Wi-Fi Socket, 

She can add more wifi sockets later out of her own investment but I covered all items which I provided to get the ball rolling, 

If it all worked and understood her northern accent then it was a good investment, 

Alternativly if it didn't understand her accent then at least we tried and she wasn't out of pocket either way.

So I started with the television mounting and got that done Saturday day, I then had my dad arrive Saturday night to fit the hive heating control which replaced the segment switch with a wireless thermostat control that operates much like a light dimmer switch; turn up or down the temperature, 

She can now position the control unit in a comfortable location and adjust temperature by turning a volume wheel 

ae235.jpeg.jpg.789364205e8a741b93b97449851d5cfd.jpg

I then went back to the living room Saturday night to put two coats of paint on the cable ducting so if now matches the wall, 

61hjPLykrDL._SY355_.jpg.3182c1335ca05e64c0978f98aa458b7f.jpg

Sunday morning I completed the television wiring and moved on to setting up the Amazon echo plus; the device fully understand my mother's accent;🕺 it's capable of turning on/off the wifi socket which we named "sitting room light"

plug.thumb.jpg.bf4cd2de99028ab6b8ea153fc6bee045.jpg

Ive chosen genuine Amazon Wi-Fi Socket as some non genuine wifi sockets can cause problems or fire in Reality HD😂

it's also working with the heating control unit, we ask it to set temperature or boost heating for 5 minutes 10 minutes 30 minutes etc.

The Philips hue bulb in in the ceiling of the bedroom, She just says "Alexa turn on/off bedroom light" if says OK and does it.

I've also added an app to the echo which now knows which colour of wheelie bin is going out next Monday, it will remind her the evening before to put out the blue bin or green bin etc. 😀 

It even plays her favourite local radio stations which she had difficulty receiving signal on in the bedroom, since it's now coming through the internet signal isint a problem anymore. 

I have my own personal spotify account which I changed to a family account and set her up a spotify account under my family subscription on the family account which only costs an extra €5 per month for me and she can request any song atall; the Amazon echo then plays it from her spotify.

To finish everything off then I also provided a book and a highlighter pen to help her get the most from the device because she doesn't know how to use a computer or YouTube for information but she can read books.

9781119565864.thumb.jpg.de79cd902c4a750af47934e1cb194f75.jpg

She's now a totally different person,

She phoned me a week later to say how happy she was with it and that it even plays ocean sound effects aswell as any song she can think of requesting,

shes amazed it was able to tell her the weather in the local area ☺ aswell as local business information such as shop opening hours "and the book says I can listen to pod casts from the radio" great for if I miss something.

Overall I'm delighted I was able to take time out of my own busy working life to spend time with family and see there life improve by removing the daily reminders of things they can't do and replace them with something wonderful. 

Can't put a price on that 

And thanks for reading, thought I'd share with others in detail as were all getting older; these ideas may help someone you know too. 

That was in early February 👍

Moving forward since then; shes getting along very well with Alexa; I've since been up to install two "Amazon Echo Dots 3rd Generation" 

20190809_192841.thumb.jpg.354e3bf65404b52dbebdb3733f6abd6b.jpg

One in the living room and one in the bedroom; 

Aswell as two Amazon Smart Plugs, 

plug.thumb.jpg.bf4cd2de99028ab6b8ea153fc6bee045.jpg

One of the plugs is on an electric fire in the living room; not a heater just looks like a real fire and the other socket is on a lamp in the living room; 

She can request "Alexa turn on the living room lamp" 

Or 

"Alexa turn on the fire" 

Same for off, I've also setup that if she says "Alexa its getting dark outside" 

Alexa is then programmed to say "indeed Pauline the evenings are getting shorter" and it will automatically turn on the living room light and the fire.

Also if she says "Alexa Goodnight" it turns off all smart plugs and says somthing random offering a bedtime story. 

She gets great use of of spotify aswell, since theres now more than one Echo device in the house; she can ask Alexa to play music on "all devices" at "volume 5" for example which acts like a large stereo system in every room; the devices can also operate as a Personal announcement on request she can call the living room device from the bedroom or any of them for cross communication; if she was unwell in bed can call the kitchen device 😅

il_570xN.1833226621_2ybz.thumb.jpg.efa0a70f44ff14d6a33299660ec3f2fa.jpg

The Dot in the bedroom has been fitted with sn alarm clock surround from etsy: https://www.etsy.com/ie/listing/684431343/amazon-echo-dot-3rd-generation-gen-3?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=echo+dot+holder+alarm+clock&ref=sr_gallery-1-6&organic_search_click=1&col=1 

So she can now control Lighting and heating aswell as communicate with Alexa in every room,

Since the integration has been a success;

This week now I've invested a bit more in to expanding the equipment aswell as additional safety; 

20190809_190813.thumb.jpg.79066f0010f4e3f09c2386f27ffef1c7.jpg

I've purchased an Amazon Echo Connect which will allow the Echo devices to use the landline telephone; to make and receive calls without having to touch a phone; useful feature and also great for safety in the unfortunate event she fell or was unwell; she can ask Alexa to call someone or the emergency services, 

https://youtu.be/cV3VPVO2UGw 

The second item I've added now is the Amazon Clock, it needs an Echo device to allow it function; but updates time automatically so she doesn't have to adjust the clock for summer/winter and it gives some visual to countdown times, 

1778441531_Screenshot_20190809-191500_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.7b7e997b5edf40aa234cbf21ac50731d.jpg

So if she asks Alexa to set a 20 minute reminder for the oven; she can then see twenty segments illuminate on the clock and know how many minutes are left while shes doing somthing else; she can then make her way towards the oven when the clock displays two segments as the twenty minutes is almost complete.

I'll make the journey up to install them both very soon,  

Thought I'd share the successes story here with you all as my mother cant use a computer or smartphone atall; and the entire setup functions perfectly without the need for a computer just use your voice, 

I install the app on my phone when I'm there; and then log in to her account in order to add these new devices, I then delete the app again and all functions smoothly. 

• Like 1

The Connect device is intriguing, never even knew that was an option. I have heard of people using Echos to call family members if they fell ill (by calling the amazon Alexa app on their phone), but never heard of that!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Micro said:

The Connect device is intriguing, never even knew that was an option. I have heard of people using Echos to call family members if they fell ill (by calling the Amazon Alexa app on their phone), but never heard of that!

Thanks mate, 

The Echo Connect unit is getting mixed reviews on amazon which is also where I purchased from; more recent reviews seem to be more positive where software updates have ironed out some issues, 

I had hoped that one of my brothers or sisters whom live 10-35 minutes away from my mother; would have invested in an amazon Echo device which she could then contact them via the Echo devices; but unfortunately they haven't invested atall, one brother is quite jealous that I've invested in the technology for her; and although my sisters admire the equipment neither have invested atall 😬

But they all have landline telephone as part of there home broadband packages; so this Echo Connect may over come or should overcome the issue provided it does what it supposed to which I'm confident it will, 

One reviewer even says; they have a nuisance call blocker and they plugged the Echo Connect in to the call blocker; its working perfectly with it, so that's positive news too. 

I like the way it takes in a telephone cable and puts out a cable socket again, meaning it doesn't hog any sockets or require a bulky splitter, 

I also like the fact that it doesn't need to be on display to function, and all Echo Devices can use it once paired; regardless of there location throughout the home.

Nice feature that it will synchronise your contacts to its memory then say the name of the caller before you choose to answer. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club