Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

What's Your Next Car Going To Be?

WES180

Hi all. I'm going to change the Focus later this year and have changed my mind so many times as to what to buy next. I want something bigger, still sporty looking, 3 years old maximum and with a budget of around £14000. I think I might have settled on a Mondeo Titanium estate with a bodykit, X pack and 19's. Looks like a lovely car in blue and grey.

What are you all looking at buying next?

Screenshot_20190106-154310_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190106-132258_eBay.jpg

• Like 1

Naturally, when the time comes (probably at least 4-5 years time)I would replace my current Mondeo with the MK5....but the build quality doesn't seem as good as the MK4. My friend had a 210ps powershift Titanium with x pack and bodykit and the finish wasn't as good. And the Sync 2 was not great to use at all. (Another) But, it depends on how the upcoming facelift and new gearboxes turn out, otherwise I may be going to a BMW 5 series estate. It would be my first non Ford but back to rear wheel drive 😎

I keep looking at the 5 series msport estates too along with Mercedes CLS AMG Sport estates.

I have a Ford dealership on my doorstep where my mate is a tech though so makes more sense to stick with Ford really.

Yes, that does make sense.

Don't  get me wrong, I do like the MK5 Mondeo, just that I'll have to see whats about in a few years time.

Doesn't anyone else fancy a new car then? 😉

44 minutes ago, WES180 said:

Fancy and afford, two entirely different things😂 just had a new one so its see whats about in 3 years time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, WES180 said:

I need to change car asap tbh, need a petrol car due to mostly doing sub 10 mile trips with a 30mph avg speed and DPFs hating me for it lol. :laugh:  There isn't one that fits my (very tight!) criteria though...I keep checking eBay and Autotrader hoping that some type of car will pop up that I've never seen before...but in reality I'll end up compromising so far that I'll buy something over-priced that doesn't meet my needs and will be in exactly the same position afterwards...  This is pretty much how I buy cars, and have owned over 30 in the last 10 years because of it... :lol: 

Needs to have a very smooth ride, 5 doors and large boot capacity, so rules out anything smaller than a Focus/Golf, can't compromise on that due to health issues.  Needs to be petrol but do diesel running costs (£30 tax, 50mpg), can't compromise on that due to very low income.  Needs to be super reliable, I rely on the car getting me from A to B without breakdowns due to my health issues and have to be able to trust a car 100%, which I haven't ever experienced so far, there's always some potential failure waiting to happen on anything I buy.  Needs to have reasonable spec, cruise control, auto lights & auto wipers are a must as I use those all the time and often rely on cruise tbh, but the more spec the better.  Looking at a max of 6 years old and 50k miles.  Received some inheritance last year so could technically afford a budget of about £9k but can't justify it for how little I really use the car, would feel more comfortable spending about £6-7k.  If you can think of anything that fits that criteria, feel free to say!! :biggrin:  Only thing that comes to close to fitting the bill is a Mk3 Focus 1.0EB Titanium, but after owning a both a Mk3 diesel and an EB I certainly won't be buying another!  Facelifts are out of budget and tbh I'm losing trust in them with the more issues I see as they age.  I also wanted the appearance pack 2 with the 18" Y spoke alloys BUT have since found out they'll make the ride too rough for me, and I'd never be able to afford new tyres, so wouldn't even be able to have it looking the way I wanted lol.

I don't think the ride is too rough on my 18's but then I don't like wallowing cars that are too soft.

If you don't want another diesel or Ecoboost then you're a bit stuffed with newer Ford models really. Do they still make a 1.6 non turbo? 2015 seems to be the latest I can see for sale.

Have you ever considered a Cmax? They are a lovely drive and great for getting in and out of with the higher seating position. I enjoyed my 2007 model for a good few years. I stuck 18's and Eibachs on it which transformed the look of it. I do like the newer shape but I want something bigger this time but then I don't need a 7 seater so pointless buying an Smax. The Mondeo seems to tick the boxes for me.

38 minutes ago, WES180 said:

Have you ever considered a Cmax?

I tried one a few years back (Mk 2 1.6 ecoboost) for the reasons you mention. Some good points but personally just didn't get on with it. Found I was getting pain in my left knee when changing gear, and the rear seat folding was a bit of a nuisance compared to a normal hatchback or estate, so parted with it after only 6 months (since when I've had no problems with the knee!). 

No doubt the seating position would be great for some people ( I know a couple of folks who have owned and loved one for years, though the Mk 1 version) and I thought it seemed very comfy when having a test drive, but you need to live with a car for a while to really find out if it suits and sometimes, unfortunately, it doesn't. Luckily  I didn't take much of a hit financially, so no harm done!

A good mate of mine has had his Mondy estate (Mk 4 2.0 tdci) for 6 years now, having had a Mk 3 for 6 years before that, and has been delighted with both. He's now wondering what to replace it with - he's not that thrilled with the current version and has been heard muttering about Skodas so I will see what happens!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WES180 said:

I don't think the ride is too rough on my 18's but then I don't like wallowing cars that are too soft.

If you don't want another diesel or Ecoboost then you're a bit stuffed with newer Ford models really. Do they still make a 1.6 non turbo? 2015 seems to be the latest I can see for sale.

Have you ever considered a Cmax? They are a lovely drive and great for getting in and out of with the higher seating position. I enjoyed my 2007 model for a good few years. I stuck 18's and Eibachs on it which transformed the look of it. I do like the newer shape but I want something bigger this time but then I don't need a 7 seater so pointless buying an Smax. The Mondeo seems to tick the boxes for me.

Ride is subjective, but if you can feel any bumps at all, particularly on rough country roads, it'll aggravate my dodgy stomach unfortunately.  Means I can't drive anything remotely sporty and have to stick with comfort spec Titanium/Match (or equivalent) and usually 205/55 balloon tyres. :yawn:  I've had some 'fun' weekend cars, GTi6, ST150, A3 S-Line but couldn't drive any of them far before feeling really ill. :sad: 

I won't be buying another Ford this time tbh, 2x Mk3 Focus's have put me off those, the Fiesta ride is too harsh and he Mondeos cost too much to buy & run.  The CMax is just a bigger Focus so I don't want one of them either. Trouble is, I've spent the last few years immersed in Ford and have lost touch with what else is about lol.  Thought I might be able to get a poor mans Golf (Seat Leon) with a small TSI engine around 2015ish on my budget but it seems not.  Also tempted by the Mazda3 2.0 Sky-Activ G but there are very few about and spec isn't great, no DAB for example.  Will just have to keep looking and waiting really!  

• Like 1

I had a mk3 Mondeo ST TDCi which I liked. I only sold it as I thought there were potential DMF problems coming and it was due new brakes all round etc so thought rather than pay out I would get something different. That was a big mistake, I bought an Astra VXR instead and then lost £3k in 6 months on that!😂

You will have to get another Focus Tom or TomsFocus wont make much sense. Just like me being limited to 180bhp cars!😂

8 minutes ago, WES180 said:

You will have to get another Focus Tom or TomsFocus wont make much sense. Just like me being limited to 180bhp cars!😂

Or I could just ask staff for a name change... :wink:  Though I should've been TomsGolf for the last 6 months anyway! :laugh: 

Your name still works fine if you're a darts fan... :biggrin: 

• Like 1

I didnt realise we could change our names lol. I do like darts actually although ive never scored a 180 in my life. Maybe i could just say thats my goal!😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Thought I might be able to get a poor mans Golf (Seat Leon) with a small TSI engine around 2015ish on my budget but it seems not.  

Had a Mk 3 Leon for 3 years before my current Fiesta. Still can't really decide whether we need a Fiesta-size or Focus-size car, I do like the Fiesta when driving solo but a bit of extra room is helpful to my Mrs who suffers intermittent mobility issues. I find the ride on the Fiesta pretty decent btw, but as I was saying earlier in the thread we're all different so "one size fits all" certainly doesn't apply when it comes to cars!

Anyway, the Leon was a pretty good car, ride ok (for me) despite being FR spec and on sports suspension. Found the infotainment better presented and easier to follow than Sync but I am a simpleton in these matters. Only real bother was a stop - start issue which started second day I had it, starter motor replaced under warranty sorted that and it was fine afterwards. I had the 1.8TSI (180ps) which didn't feel that quick, certainly not fee!ing short changed at the mo with 140ps in the Fiesta though it is (a bit) lighter of course. A tad more torque wouldn't go amiss, though.

TBH it was more the dealer that put me off another one. My nearest Ford dealer has always been very good, the SEAT dealer wasn't that great.

Edit - ps: I also thought you'd be able to get one on your budget but from a quick look on Auto Trader you're looking at high miles or 1.2 petrol/1.6 diesels. A lot more available if you could stretch nearer the £9k mark though.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the info Roger.  I know I couldn't risk an FR model with the big wheels and sports suspension, would you know what the top comfort spec is on them though?  Equivalent to Titanium on a Ford.

It probably would be the 1.2 TSI if I did get one, need the lowest running costs possible without a DPF unfortunately.

Next car for me will likely be the Focus ST MK4 due to a change in my circumstances soon still keeping my Fiesta ST but will be shared with my family

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Thanks for the info Roger.  I know I couldn't risk an FR model with the big wheels and sports suspension, would you know what the top comfort spec is on them though?  Equivalent to Titanium on a Ford.

It probably would be the 1.2 TSI if I did get one, need the lowest running costs possible without a DPF unfortunately.

Xcellence/Xcellence Lux is probably the nearest to Titanium/Titanium X, though I don't recall seeing many. The FR (particularly with Tech Pack which was foc when I got mine) was very well equipped and as I said ride was ok for me BUT I stuck with the then standard 17" wheels not the 18s which were an option (though very common) and do firm things up rather too much for my taste.

Digressing somewhat, big wheels/ultra low profile tyres look like severely restricting my choice of next car if I want something "sporty". I reckon 17"/45 profile is about as far as I can go on my local "roads", but 18"/ 40 and 19"/35 are becoming increasingly common.

Edit PS: Don't think from memory you could normally get the Excellence below the 1.4 TSI, or the 1.2 above SE trim, but SEAT always seemed to be producing limited runs of cars with high spec but the smaller engines, so it could just be a case of nosing around and seeing what you find! 

• Like 1

What's my next car going to be? Good question.

My philosophy has always been to buy a better car than the one I'm replacing. My current cars are a 2016 Fiesta ST that I've only just bought and a 1999 Lotus Elise that I've owned for 13 years. If I ever replace the Lotus it will either be for another Elise or possibly a Caterham 7. I'm not sure about the ST. Another Fiesta ST or a Focus RS?

Right now I have no plans to replace either.

• Like 1

My next car's going to be a 1965 Ford Mustang, preferably in black but I'll take red..............

"Kevin, Kevin... wake up!" 

Oh dear, looks like I was dreaming! Ah well, maybe my Premium Bonds will come up one of these months 🙄 😀

It's certainly got a lot more character than the current Mustang.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 1/8/2019 at 12:11 PM, WES180 said:

I had a mk3 Mondeo ST TDCi which I liked. I only sold it as I thought there were potential DMF problems coming and it was due new brakes all round etc so thought rather than pay out I would get something different. That was a big mistake, I bought an Astra VXR instead and then lost £3k in 6 months on that!😂

I do like the look of those mondeo STs. I'd preferbly get the diesel although there's that worry about leaking injectors. 

_20180417_192843.JPG

• Like 1

13 hours ago, zain611 said:

I do like the look of those mondeo STs. I'd preferbly get the diesel although there's that worry about leaking injectors. 

_20180417_192843.JPG

Mine was a lovely car at the time. It was only 18mths old and in mint condition. I put Bluefin on it and lowered it a bit on Eibachs. The finish on the alloys was prone to corroding with being diamond cut so once mine started looking tatty I had them mirror polished and re lacquered. Looking back it was probably the most comfortable car to drive that I've owned, nice and spacious along with heated full leather.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club