Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

What's Your Next Car Going To Be?

WES180

13 hours ago, WES180 said:

Mine was a lovely car at the time. It was only 18mths old and in mint condition. I put Bluefin on it and lowered it a bit on Eibachs. The finish on the alloys was prone to corroding with being diamond cut so once mine started looking tatty I had them mirror polished and re lacquered. Looking back it was probably the most comfortable car to drive that I've owned, nice and spacious along with heated full leather.

Only thing which stops me is that emissions charge that might come. Can't think of a diesel unless the mayor postpones the charge or stop it expanding to the whole of London. The 3 litre petrol is expensive to run and it doesn't help that road tax increases each year. If I did get one I'd aim to make it look like the one in the pic. My dad for some reason doesn't want me to get another ford. He did have a bad experience with a mk1 focus saloon 1.8TDCI he had which did have rust. I think he says also parts are kind of overpriced I think around the same as German cars. To be honest I don't see the problem with fords especially with my fiesta. Yes I had to sort out a leaking injector, brake fluid pipe and window regulator but thankfully it runs nicely. Only rust I can see is on the wheel arch. 

So for my next car I'm not sure what it might be. It will come down to if this emissions charge is guaranteed to happen in 2021. If it does happen I'll have to get a petrol and sadly sell my diesel. 

Was first thinking of getting a mk6 fiesta ST but road tax is £250 at the moment and this government likes to increase it each year plus I'd probably average 30mpg however might not care as I do little mileage. Screenshot_20181024-210943.thumb.png.3cbdd6abb3905d040b9c906128cf8d3e.png

Then started looking at the BMW E90 320i or 325i. These cars from 2008 seem to have the engines tweaked and are not bad on running. The 320i 2 litre petrol is £155 tax and claimed 58mpg whereas the 325i is a 3 litre with around £230 and claimed 51mpgScreenshot_20180628-181907.thumb.png.42c55d8b5a58ee579c6d116581bc48e9.png

Lastly might go back and get my first car which was a Peugeot 107 1 litre petrol. £20 tax and won't go up and its claimed 68mpg. Was a very basic car but was cheap to run like my fiesta. Sounded better than the fiesta with its 3 cylinder petrol engine. Might be better to have as Im gonna have to save my money when I start working full time and this car I'd say would be around £1200 for insurance, petrol etc annually to run _20170611_004605.thumb.JPG.4389bde45e206bdddc9623ab9d0fe193.JPG_20180902_115737.thumb.JPG.ee7db4d745f698301fe161c5e2c3127f.JPG

I spent a while this weekend scouring eBay, Autotrader & Gumtree and still can't find anything within budget that fits my criteria.  I can fully understand why people use finance or PCP, not an option for me though due to my circumstances.  Tbh there's very little for sale under £9k and petrol that even caught my eye at all, so much more for your money with diesels.  Only thing that did was this Mondeo TX 1.6EB.  It's getting on a bit now (considering the pricetag!) and probably wouldn't be overly cheap to run in the real world.  Plus there were suspension advisories on the MOT so probably needs that done.  Plus it looks a bit dated inside with the 2008 radio and no sync!  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Mondeo-1-6-2011-Titanium-X/113425584772?hash=item1a68b11284:g:JjEAAOSwckVcCT3F:rk:1:pf:1

The Golf has spent the last 5 drives in constant DPF regen, started immediately AFTER the only long trip I did last week and hasn't stopped since, all only around 5 mile trips each.  Averaged only 48mpg doing that so far! :rolleyes:  

Also been looking at local flats as it's looking like I'll have to move soon but finding there are none of those within budget either.  Honestly don't know how anyone affords life lol! :unsure: :laugh: 

@TomsFocus I think the best car for you is the focus 1 litre ecoboost. Just try to save up a little more till you can afford it 👍. I think the sensible plan for me when I start working is save up for a property first before getting myself a nice car. All this stuff you say about the DPF regens puts me off getting a diesel with a DPF. My fiesta luckily didn't come with a DPF.

What about the mk3 mondeo? The diesel ST? 

48 minutes ago, zain611 said:

@TomsFocus I think the best car for you is the focus 1 litre ecoboost. Just try to save up a little more till you can afford it 👍. I think the sensible plan for me when I start working is save up for a property first before getting myself a nice car. All this stuff you say about the DPF regens puts me off getting a diesel with a DPF. My fiesta luckily didn't come with a DPF.

What about the mk3 mondeo? The diesel ST? 

I can't save up due to my circumstances though, money is the main issue here, I don't have enough income to cover basic living costs let alone put any away for savings, that's the reality of living off illness benefits as a young male at least, it's not all financed SUVs and 50" plasmas like you see on TV lol.  The only reason I currently have the budget for a 'new' car is inheritance after my Nan passed away last year.  But that budget is dropping every month as I have to dip into it for bills etc.  I won't have this sort of budget again any time soon, which is why I need to make the right choice this time and make sure it's something I'll be able to drive for the foreseeable future in terms of smooth ride, low running costs and reliability at the very least.  That was the idea back in 2014 when I bought a one year old 107...and immediately realised I couldn't drive it further than a couple of miles without feeling really ill!  So I sent it back and bought the 6 year old Mk2 Focus 1.6TDCi instead, which had a good ride and affordable running costs...but sadly the DPF caused the issues there as you know lol.

I really have been considering the EcoBoost Fiesta's this weekend, but without being able to 'borrow' one for a week I really won't know whether I'll be able to cope with the ride on them or not.  The anxiety of a short test drive makes me feel really ill anyway so that's no help at all, I really don't want a repeat of the 107 fiasco.

I don't think there's a simple black & white answer to it tbh.  Realistically I know I can't afford to drive, and should give up the car, as I should have done back in 2014.  I am now in a position where there are shops and supermarkets within walking distance (which I didn't have back in 2014 living in a rural village) and obviously for anything else I could buy online and have delivered.  But although one Nan has now passed away, the other one has very limited mobility herself now and relies on me driving over to hers each week (rural 30 mile round trip) for various things so I feel I can't really let her down by giving up driving.

• Like 1

[mention=58818]TomsFocus[/mention] I'd say have a good look at the Ecoboost Fiestas. They're cracking little cars with excellent fuel economy and (with the exception of the ST) a really comfy ride. You're clearly a Ford man so why not get something you'll really like (if it's no more expensive)? I loved my Zetec and used to own a Focus too.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I did look closer at the Fiesta, they ruin the Titanium with 195/50/16s...utterly ridiculous on a comfort spec car. :sad:

Probably seems comfortable compared to an ST but not against a normal Focus/Golf.  Also turns out my insurance would be a lot more for a Fiesta Titanium 125ps than a Focus Titanium 125ps.  And both are more than my 140ps Golf...  Thought I'd be saving insurance by dropping half the engine capacity lol.

Did see a Focus in budget and localish earlier though...  But then noticed it's done 83k!!  Surely it's at least £1500 too much...  Can also see a fair bit of interior wear on those pics, steering wheel, driver's seat etc.  My 2012 100k Golf is in better condition and only worth about £3000. :sad:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2015-15-FORD-FOCUS-1-0T-125-E-BOOST-TITANIUM-5-DOOR-1-OWNER-FROM-NEW/132884070366?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3Df87a40baeadf4dfe9f80792123ef3b15%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D333002002921%26itm%3D132884070366&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3Acc3a8a2c-1a8d-11e9-9453-74dbd180c791|parentrq%3A5d477e451680ab4c9226d1a0ffefe694|iid%3A1

Possibly a bit overpriced (according to AutoTrader, based on the reg and actual mileage).

• Like 1

Yeah, even that still looks high for the mileage.  I'll have to hope to find a private sale tbh!

On 1/6/2019 at 4:54 PM, WES180 said:

Hi all. I'm going to change the Focus later this year and have changed my mind so many times as to what to buy next. I want something bigger, still sporty looking, 3 years old maximum and with a budget of around £14000. I think I might have settled on a Mondeo Titanium estate with a bodykit, X pack and 19's. Looks like a lovely car in blue and grey.

What are you all looking at buying next?

Screenshot_20190106-154310_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190106-132258_eBay.jpg

I'm looking at either keeping my car for a while or replacing it with a new M3 when they come out.

The mrs wants to swap the Fiesta for a new Peugeot 5008 soon aswell. 

It's funny because I can pretty much map out my next few cars already. I'll be buying a 1.9TDI Passat or Octavia in the summer for the Euro roadtrip. I'll sell that in September and also the Focus may have to go as I'll have nowhere to put it at uni as moving from halls to a flat with no parking for second year. If that's the case, I'll be car sharing a 1.0 Fiesta ST line for the year. Hoping by my 21st in 2020 I'll have enough saved up for a late (60 or 11 plate) ST225 ST3 and some decent mods (have about £4.5k atm) which will be ace! 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club