Do Not Sell My Personal Information

V5 Document and road tax

Cheviot

This is a follow on from my previouse post:-

Quote: I purchased a 2014 Fiesta from a main Ford dealer on 6th December 2018 and was told that the V5 would be with me in 3 or 4 weeks.

I have checked with the DVLA and they have not received any paperwork from the dealer.

I emailed the salesman a couple of times just before Christmas about the V5 however he has not responded.

Any suggestions other than to call into the dealership next week when I am in the area and take it up with them or email the manager of the dealership?

Thanks in advance for any positive/helpful suggestions. Unquote.

I chased up the Ford main dealers Sales Manager by email on 3rd Jan '19 for the V5 document and received the following reply :-

I have investigated this . As you know the vehicle was registered with us but the V5 has not yet been returned from the DVLA for us to change into your name.

We have been in contact with the DVLA to find its whereabouts and we will keep an eye out. Once it arrives we will change into your name. That part will then be relatively quick as it usually takes a few days

To arrive at your home address. Apologies for the delay but we are treating this issue as a priority.

I

I contacted the DVLA this morning 7th Jan.to try and obtain an update about the V5 but all they could tell me is that the vehicle is not taxed or registered in my name and that I would need to complete and submit a V62 form to obtain a new V5 and SORN 890 and that I should take the vehicle off the road for the time being.

I can see from checking online that the car is taxed until November 2019 but it does not say whose name it is taxed under.

When I purchased the car I was informed by the car dealer that they would be taking care of the V5 and road tax for me.

I am going into the car dealer within the next day or two to chase up further.

My question is, do you think that I could end up having the vehicle clamped if I just keep it outside my house whilst I am trying to sort out the V5 and road tax?

The Ford dealer has just sent me an email within the last few minutes which says:-

"....we are still waiting for the V5 to return from the DVLA so we can change it into your personal name. That is why the DVLA confirmed it is not yet registered to you. Once owners are changed on the V5 the road tax will then be in your name. However I have just checked and the vehicle is taxed so it is road legal. We will be contacting the DVLA regularly to ensure this matter is resolved as quickly as possible...."

Hi Cheviot

Quote:-

I have checked with the DVLA and they have not received any paperwork from the dealer.

Checking my V5 it states when a vehicle changes hands "Failure to tell DVLA may result in a penalty and/or prosecution" in this case that would be the dealer.

The Ford dealer has just sent me an email within the last few minutes which says:-

"....we are still waiting for the V5 to return from the DVLA so we can change it into your personal name. That is why the DVLA confirmed it is not yet registered to you. Once owners are changed on the V5 the road tax will then be in your name. However I have just checked and the vehicle is taxed so it is road legal. We will be contacting the DVLA regularly to ensure this matter is resolved as quickly as possible...."

That,s strange, they should have given you the Green Slip, Section 10, New Keeper,s Details and sent the old V5 to the DVLA with your details as the new keeper then then the DVLA would send the new V5 to you not the dealer you bought the car from.

• Thanks 1

Just so you know, the dealer cannot tax a vehicle for a customer. Tax does not transfer and has to be obtained by the new owner when the vehicle is sold on.
You are responsible for obtaining tax yourself, however, in your case, that would be a problem because you never got the V5C green slip to state that you were the new owner. 
You could potentially be fined for incorrect tax and that because there is no confirmation of ownership with the V5, you could also be fined as well as it invalidating your insurance. 

Hi Nick

If as part of the deal or you gave the money to the dealer, as I did, the dealer can tax the car in the new owners name.

• Like 2

That's correct - when I part exchanged my Zetec for my ST the dealer taxed it and there was a specific item on the invoice for that.

My problem was that when I collected my car they didn't put the V5 slip for the car I part exchanged in the document pack or put new mats (as agreed) in the ST. I came very close to missing the end of the month refund to cancel the tax on the Zetec and had to turn up in person to collect the mats as they never returned my calls despite repeated promises. I very nearly put a complaint into Ford.

• Like 1

Is the dealer correct in saying " ...the vehicle is taxed so it is road legal .." even though it is taxed in their name? I hope they are correct.

I don't like the idea of finding a clamp from the DVLA on my car because of some road tax issue whilst I am awaiting the V5. I may be worrying unnecessarily.

I can give the dealer another week or so and then I may have to make a formal complaint to the General Manager and the dealers main holding company.

Thanks guys.

Hi again Cheviot

Quote from your first post:-

I can see from checking online that the car is taxed until November 2019 but it does not say whose name it is taxed under.

Due to the Data Protection Regs you will not see a name, Also can you download and print yourself a copy of that info to show it is taxed?

Is the dealer correct in saying " ...the vehicle is taxed so it is road legal .." even though it is taxed in their name? I hope they are correct.

I would suggest you demand to know from the dealer ASAP who,s name it is taxed in.

Have you got a friendly policeman that you know you can have an informal chat with who may be able to do some checks for you?

Dealerships do tax cars on behalf of new owners.
Btw, no copper of any integrity would do checks of this kind, it's a sacking offence.

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I should have worded it better and said give Cheviot some advice on this matter.

Clive, as I posted earlier, in your opinion, do you think that the dealer may have committed an offense.

Ie:- Checking my V5 it states when a vehicle changes hands "Failure to tell DVLA may result in a penalty and/or prosecution" in this case that would be the dealer.

Edited by eddie eastwood
added more
  • Like 1

It is the legal requirement of the previous owner (dealership) to notify DVLA of the change of ownership within a prescribed time.
If they don't carry out this legal process then they are indeed in danger of prosecution / fines.
The best option here are to first contact the dealership in person and hand deliver a letter stating your concerns and intent to involve DVLA in regards to progressing your documentation.
Also include in the letter that the costs you incur will be the responsibility of the dealership to reimburse to you in full plus any additional costs in the case of any legal penalties that may come to you with regards to taxation / legal penalties.
Give them a set timeframe you require them to adhere to and what you expect from them in that period.

• Like 1

Do you have the new keepers section from the original V5C form?-
Section 10 (aka V5C/2)
If so then it stands as your proof as being the new keeper and with thct and a V62 form you can obtain your own new V5C (+£25) then pass the cost to the dealership.
If you don't have section 10 then the deslership is still the registered keeper.

• Like 1

It does seem very strange. 
I bought my used car from a Ford dealer and they'd had it for 5 weeks before I saw it and put the deposit on it. 
They did not send the V5 section off to DVLA when they took the vehicle as a trade in. They still had the original V5 from the 1st owner. They gave me the V5C/2 part from the original V5 and sent the change of ownership electronically to DVLA using the DVLA website.

Does a motor dealer or trader count as an owner and need a new V5 issuing?
Every used car I've bought from a trader has never had the V5 logbook in their names. They have always had the V5 in the previous keepers name and have given me the V5C/2 part. 

No, the dealer doesn't appear on the V5 or need to tax the vehicle. That's why they put trade plates on it when you take it for a test drive.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I have emailed and called in to the Ford dealer (spoke with the GM) to chase up the V5.

The latest update is that I received an email from the dealer today which reads as follows:-

"....With regards to the documentation. We have contacted the DVLA again explaining the urgency. On their recommendation we have completed a V52 form which is used when there is no V5 present. This will allow the DVLA to register the vehicle in your name. They have confirmed to us that a new V5 will be on its way to you. They have also confirmed the vehicle has been taxed...."

I think the dealer means V62 and not V52.

Hopefully this will be resolved soon but at a guess it could take the DVLA 5 - 6 weeeks (I could be wrong).

I appreciate the positive and helpful comments so far - Thank you.

Did you ask about who,s name it is taxed in?

Name and shame the dealer so other members can avoid them, with a service like this they do not deserve customers.

Edited by eddie eastwood
added to

Hi Cheviot

Has this been sorted out yet?

Did you ask about who,s name it is taxed in?

Name and shame the dealer so other members can avoid them, with a service like this they do not deserve customers.