Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Timing belt change due, need some advice

addiosamigo

My new (old) Focus is at 100k and counting.

I need to get the timing belt done and I've been qouted £240. I was under the impression that you have to get the water pump done at the same time? Is that a big job? What else needs replacing? 

Cheers

Water pump is worthwhile whist everything is in bits, but not strictly required. Just means you pay an extra £50 or so instead of £150 when the pump fails.

Depending on which engine you have the water pump may be driven by the serpentine belt anyway.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

Water pump is worthwhile whist everything is in bits, but not strictly required. Just means you pay an extra £50 or so instead of £150 when the pump fails.

Depending on which engine you have the water pump may be driven by the serpentine belt anyway.

Ah yeah should of said that! It's a 1.6L engine.

42 minutes ago, addiosamigo said:

Ah yeah should of said that! It's a 1.6L engine.

Petrol or Diesel?

10 minutes ago, Albert27 said:

Petrol or Diesel?

Not very good at this! Petrol.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, addiosamigo said:

Not very good at this! Petrol.

You'll pick it up quickly 😄  I think the water pump is driven off the drive belt on the petrol models so it's not really essential to do it at the same time as the timing belt. As well as changing the timing belt, they should change the tensioner too and any idler pulleys.  Changing the water pump is not a big job. 

• Thanks 1

Get it all done in one go it will save you money in the long run by not having to have the water pump done at later time.

• Thanks 1

I’ve done a tonne of these timing belts now, hardly anyone ever opts to have the water pump done. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, stef123 said:

I’ve done a tonne of these timing belts now, hardly anyone ever opts to have the water pump done. 

What sort of job is it on a mk2 1.8tdci?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, stef123 said:

Is that advisable? They won't rip me off but I don't want to have to spend more money later on! 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, wild_one said:

What sort of job is it on a mk2 1.8tdci?

I strictly speaking haven’t done the timing belts on a focus 1.8tdci but I have on transit connects.

not a difficult job by any stretch of the imagination but it is quite a long job. Access isn’t bad, it’s just a methodical process really.

i have a few pics I could share but I haven’t documented the process.

40 minutes ago, addiosamigo said:

Is that advisable? They won't rip me off but I don't want to have to spend more money later on! 

I would always advise going for a genuine pump, gasket and bolts if you insist on replacing the pump. That alone is around £100 in parts. 

Nearly had my fingers burnt before when reusing a pump bolt and it snapped!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, eddie eastwood said:

Get it all done in one go it will save you money in the long run by not having to have the water pump done at later time.

4 hours ago, stef123 said:

My local Ford garage advised against the water pump. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". They did however quote over £500 to do the job...

Replaced my timing belt without touching the water pump. Took 10 hours, but probably could cut that down to 5 if not less now I know the knack (I meticulously cleaned and documented everything I took off and put back on the car). Just a bit fiddly (and stuck pulley causing issues for all of about half-hour).

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club