Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus ST line with Clutch Issues

kkolossal

Hi all,

hoping for some guidance here. I have a ford focus st line which is still under warranty via TrustFord..

over the past month or so there has been a faint smell of burning clutch which has been progressively getting worse. 

the car was taken in and a mechanic confirmed its the clutch, and they're willing to do a full diagnostic if i pay £120 per hour for them to do so. they're saying it is to do with my driving, and thats whats caused the clutch to burn out. however, i have not been driving crazy, and i do shift gears like a 'normal' person.

they're saying they wont do the work unless i agree to pay, and if from the diagnostic they can prove its ford's fault, then they'll reimburse the money. 

im refusing the pay for the work, as they're assuming its the fault of my driving. could someone provide some guidance on how i should proceed? i'm happy to pay for the costs IF and ONLY IF it was indeed my fault, but my concern is it will all just be blamed on me regardless. how can i know for sure they're dealing with this fairly?

thanks in adavance.

Why are they wanting to charge? Is it outside of the original Ford warranty from new? I'd be asking what makes them think it's your fault being as they haven't even looked at it in full detail yet.

I assume it's under the extended FordProtect warranty? From what I understand it essentially covers everything the base warranty covers, except diagnostics.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

How long ago did you buy it?

If less than 6 months, the onus is on the dealer to prove that the fault was not there at time of purchase.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

If over 6 months, you would probably need a report from a third party garage (should be acceptable), stating the fault and that it was likely that the fault was there or inherent at the time you purchased the car. With a clutch though it is a wear and tear part, so you may struggle a little, but worth a shot.

• 2 months later...
On 1/9/2019 at 12:50 PM, kkolossal said:

Hi all,

hoping for some guidance here. I have a ford focus st line which is still under warranty via TrustFord..

over the past month or so there has been a faint smell of burning clutch which has been progressively getting worse. 

the car was taken in and a mechanic confirmed its the clutch, and they're willing to do a full diagnostic if i pay £120 per hour for them to do so. they're saying it is to do with my driving, and thats whats caused the clutch to burn out. however, i have not been driving crazy, and i do shift gears like a 'normal' person.

they're saying they wont do the work unless i agree to pay, and if from the diagnostic they can prove its ford's fault, then they'll reimburse the money. 

im refusing the pay for the work, as they're assuming its the fault of my driving. could someone provide some guidance on how i should proceed? i'm happy to pay for the costs IF and ONLY IF it was indeed my fault, but my concern is it will all just be blamed on me regardless. how can i know for sure they're dealing with this fairly?

thanks in adavance.

I have the new focus st line and it is due to go in to check a clutch noise ..like a  woop sound when setting off or coming down gear...they said if it is covered by warranty then it will be free of charge...the car has 3700 on the clock and Again I drive normally 

• 5 months later...

10 day old St-Line 1.0 on 1087 miles and Clutch has gone. I was told they think it was set up/installed incorrectly. 

its being replaced under warranty. No questions asked. Im being made to wait thou. Local dealer has had it for 2 weeks allready and the part is die to be dispatched wc 28th October. Iv been supplied with a rental car (£100 deposit) untill they have fixed it.

• 9 months later...

hi i have a focus st3 diesal with a short shift gear box and I'm struggling to get to grips with the gearbox some times I have to double clutch it to get in reverse and it seems a bit tight in the other gears ive only had the car a week wasnt sure if its right of not 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club