Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fault code readers

tank121

I recently posted a thread about my orange engine symbol coming on and the car was booked into the Ford main dealer on Monday for a service and to look at the code. However, 2 days prior the symbol went off so I just asked them to service the car. 

Surprise, surprise when I picked the car up the symbol was back on. The only other symptom I’m noticing is when at a stand still the csr is juddering slighltly ( I was hoping the service may have corrected this).

When I put the car into diagnostic mode no coes show.

Anyway, if I buy my own wireless code reader to use with the Android app and obtai; the code would the Ford dealer take the code from me and investigate or still need to connect it up and charge the excessive charge?

Can anyone recommend a good cheap one and is it easy to connect? I want the device to prevent getting ripped off by Fast rd each time not for me to attempt the repairs.

Thanks in advance.

19 minutes ago, tank121 said:

I recently posted a thread about my orange engine symbol coming on and the car was booked into the Ford main dealer on Monday for a service and to look at the code. However, 2 days prior the symbol went off so I just asked them to service the car. 

Surprise, surprise when I picked the car up the symbol was back on. The only other symptom I’m noticing is when at a stand still the csr is juddering slighltly ( I was hoping the service may have corrected this).

When I put the car into diagnostic mode no coes show.

Anyway, if I buy my own wireless code reader to use with the Android app and obtai; the code would the Ford dealer take the code from me and investigate or still need to connect it up and charge the excessive charge?

Can anyone recommend a good cheap one and is it easy to connect? I want the device to prevent getting ripped off by Fast rd each time not for me to attempt the repairs.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Wayne, 

Your best bet is Forscan as it will pick up codes that generic code readers will miss. Forscan is free to download on a laptop. There's also a mobile app option for Android which is £3.50 (not as good as laptop but will read codes just fine).  If you go the laptop route you will just need an ELM327 cable/USB to connect between the car and the laptop.  You can use a bluetooth one for mobile if you prefer but am told the cable is more reliable.  I managed for a year with Forscan lite on mobile and a bluetooth connector but it was a bit temperamental!

What about Ford still needing to read the code themselves?

Saw this bluetooth adapter which looks like a bargain with lots f great reviews.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Torque-Pro-Elm-327-Bluetooth/dp/B01AC7I7BO/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_263_lp_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=8R5WSJT12BC4D8N5JR57

Laptop cable seems expensive in comparison -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ELMconfig-500kbit-compatible-interface-diagnostics/dp/B01F0GVBWY

https://tunnelrat-electronics.fwscart.com/

this seller reccomended on this forum many times.

I have the USB one to use with Forscan software  on my windows laptop

I bought the wifi version for my brother for christmas. I have tried it on my iPhone with free Car Scanner app and it seemed fine. I have no idea if Wifi is better than bluetooth. The Wifi one I bought should also work with an Andriod phone/tablet.

The 'modified' ones (extra switch added ) are better for Fords as the switch enables it to access extra functions compared to the unmodified ones. 

• Like 2

It is doubtful that ford wouldn’t take your word for it and would most likely say they need to do diagnostic work themselves, they are in the business of making money. Your car isn’t a long time out of warranty so take it to an Indy garage who are likely to charge a whole lot less and if you can provide evidence of the code fault they may even listen to you.

as people above have said, I’d recommend Forscan with a modified ELM cable (with a HS/MS CAN switch). You need a windows laptop, a Mac will not work, you will also need the cableobviohsly. Tunnelrat does 2 types now, one is auto switching and for the sake of a couple of £ I would get that one I found buying from him. I got mine on eBay for £16 and it’s been going for 4 years without a problem.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies how quick is the delivery from Tunnelrat because car is booked in for next Monday?

for the extra few quid (literally)  if you have amazon prime you can get it by friday

yes its the same as tunnel rat, but from amazon sold by independent seller.... im in stoke if you wish pop down and use mine?

Hi Martyn, might have to take you up on your kind offer. I actually work in Northwich so not that far away.

offer is there mate, just been on aa route and it is like 25m away, no exactly close tho lol. the software is free, the only waiting time would be 1 day from amazon tunnel rat charge like 17 I think, amazon are 20, even if you havn't got prime click to add the subscription and get it on your 30 day free trial then you could always cancel afterwards 😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tank121 said:

What about Ford still needing to read the code themselves?

Saw this Bluetooth adapter which looks like a bargain with lots f great reviews.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Torque-Pro-Elm-327-Bluetooth/dp/B01AC7I7BO/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_263_lp_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=8R5WSJT12BC4D8N5JR57

Laptop cable seems expensive in comparison -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ELMconfig-500kbit-compatible-interface-diagnostics/dp/B01F0GVBWY

Yep the top one is just a generic one and won't pull as many codes as the modified one with Forscan.

Ford would probably still charge for diagnostics though as they have to make their own investigations and can't believe what the customer is telling them. After all, if the customer really knew so much about what's wrong with their car, then they would be fixing it themselves and wouldn't have to take it to Ford in the first place. At least that's my thinking.

2 hours ago, martyntdci said:

yes its the same as tunnel rat, but from amazon sold by independent seller.... im in stoke if you wish pop down and use mine?

Careful with non-verified devices, Forscan does a check and will NOT work with any devices that may not fully support all functionality.

My original ELM327 I modified from eBay works fine with Forscan, one I bought for £8 from amazon failed to work with Forscan or Elmconfig, but worked with generic OBD software only. This comes down to the components that are used (and the fact that these devices generally use a copied chip).

Took the plunge and ordered one today from tunnel rat and it’s been dispatched. Could this be a fault with the catalytic converter? Car is juddering a little when standing still and there is a noise coming from the rear of the car. Any other tests I can perform without the reader? How long is the Ford warranty on such parts?

So my card reader arrived today from tunnel rat, excellent fast delivery. I went for the wireless version in the end and will download the free Forscan Windows software tonight?

Is there anything that needs configuring within the software or should it just work as default?

Thanks

Mine with the cable was just a plug and play, after saving car data.  Just make sure it's switchable.

• 1 year later...

Great thread then....???
So what was the outcome? It would be of great benefit to others 

Unfortunately, like with lots of users, they don't bother updating their threads for the benefit of others, and Tank hasn't been around since May. 

It's not all in vain.

I am about to set up Forscan since I have too much time on my hands these days and may just need it on my Mk 2's which are ageing a bit.

Scrabbling around searching other posts in an effort to find the recommended kit left me a bit uncertain what to order.

The above info is clear and concise. I will be lashing out on my paypal account in the next day or two.

I have an old Samsung Notebook with Windows 7 Starter installed which has been little used and it should do the job. If anyone knows different speak up!

Hopefully using the software is intuitive and foolproof for a computer dumbo like me.

ScaniaPBman.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club