Do Not Sell My Personal Information

K&N Advice. Which one + Box mods?

ThePowster

Evening chaps and chapesses 😁

OK so I want a K&N air filter, I want one because I am hoping to hear at least some induction roar, aaaand to allow the car to breathe a bit more easier and maybe perform a bit more sprightly in doing so.

I have read a lot on this forum so here is what I have gathered.

The ideal is: K&N 57S-4000 Performance Intake Kit, but @ £183.74 it's just not gonna happen.

So the official filter for my airbox is: K&N e-2993 Replacement Air Filter, and @ £59.98 this is more like it.

Finally I have read there is another K&N option being: K&N e-9289 Replacement Air Filter, same as in the performance kit, this comes in @ £77.38

So what's the problem here.

With the kit being out as it's too much money, I am left with the last 2.

1) The e-2993 is a direct fit and forget.

2) The e-9289 is the filter out of the Performance Intake Kit and from what I gather fits in the standard airbox. This filter has a bit missing to allow more airflow in the centre of the filter.

Now then.. Having looked at both filters on the K&N website the direct fit filter e-2993 is actually bigger than the kit filter which I found odd as surely you want a bigger filter?

So which do I buy is the question? and why?

Is it possible to buy the e-9289 and modify my own airbox with the Dremel to cut out a circle section like the kit airbox to allow more flow, would this work the same way? Although wouldn't it be sucking warm air in then.

I just don't know what to do for the best 😞

That's where you come in, hopefully 😄

Knowing what you know now, what would you guys do in my position looking for a filter option?

Thank you muchly in advance 🙏

e 9289 is a direct fit you don't need to cut a hole in the front as the front is the filter

How long do you plan to keep the car? Would it be a better idea to save up for the ‘ideal’ kit? 

You aren’t likely to get much if any power increase from any K&N kit but you will get that nice sound from it, and hear the turbo spooling too. Have you considered looking at a generic aftermarket cone filter? I had a cone on my old Fabia MC and it gave a really decent sound, as good as a K&N would be.

Next is exhaust, listen to that turbo whistle..... 

Morning chaps.

OK so I took the plunge last night and blew almost 80 odd quid on a K&N, it's coming tomorrow 😎 that and the air box snorkel delete I am hoping I hear something other than what sounds like a tractor noise from the engine lol.

Jonro I plan on keeping the car until she breaks, she's got 118k on the clock now and I have noticed like bubbles of rust that's going to come up through the paint in parts, also a patch of paint on the boot lid come off while jetwashing and there is rust behind it.

Lass I used to see had an 11 plate focus and man that was covered in rust and I have a feeling mine is going to go the same way. I ain't so bothered about aesthetics, the times people have opened their car door hard into mine while I am sat in it in supermarket car parks is just not funny. Ya can't have anything nice these days 🤬

So while I will do my best treating her to the jetwash once a fortnight that's as far as taking care of the outside goes, but I really want it to run well and just wanted it a tad more lively.

EGR is 'sorted' 🤫 I would love to de-cat and de-dpf but not sure on legalities with those and mot and cost.

Martyn I would love the exhaust situation sorting out, even catback but I cannot find an affordable system, would love some more noise too.

When u say dpf, you have either the 1.6/2.0tdci. Powerflow did my most recent 1 as I got told off for the previous.  220 cat back straight pipped with twin tip. I used to have a decatted st style twin on both sides of the rear. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club