Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Has my car had a new engine?

Zece

Hi all,

So I picked up my New Focus on Monday, it's a MK3 1.0 E/B 125 Titanium X. It was immaculate, 55k on the clock.

I've had a nose around earlier and it looks like it's had the replacement degas hose (on Etis site it's only got the Clutch software update showing)

Now, while I was having a nose, I came across a sticker with July 2018 date on it... popped the code on Google and it looks like it's for a complete engine. Would anyone happen to know?!

Pretty much everything in under the bonnet is spotless.

I've attached a pic of the sticker. Cheers!

IMG-20190111-WA0005.jpg

This is definetely a replacement engine.

Part number F1FG-6006-BA is a Transit/Tourneo Connect service engine that is suitible for vehicles produced from 01-06-2015 onwards. This part number was officially never installed in the Focus MK3. It is not even listed as a suitible replacement part for the Focus MK3. 

• Like 2

Thank you for the reply.

Not sure what to think as it was never mentioned when I purchased the car last week and it was from a reputable place. 

I'm guessing I will need to go to a Ford garage to see if they can bring up the history of the car? 

Also, if the engine is a complete replacement, wouldn't the mileage reflect this?

Thank you!

"Also, if the engine is a complete replacement, wouldn't the mileage reflect this?"   I wouldn't say the mileage should be reset if you change the engine. There's a lot more to a car that wears out than just the engine, although the engine is a major thing.

It does seem strange but I would probably be thinking that it is a bonus to have an engine that is only 6 months old. 

but when it says  "Part number F1FG-6006-BA is a Transit/Tourneo Connect service engine"  does service engine mean it is recon and not actually brand new, not sure. But either way it seems to be a good point and not a bad point  (I think), assuming it all seems to work properly and goes well

Not a red one is it?  Quite a few of these have full replacement engines due to degas failure but the sellers usually make this very obvious and use it as a selling point.

It would be worth checking that it's not been done through insurance as they write them off as Cat N first.

I used to change clocks along with engines to keep the engine mileage, rather than the chassis mileage, fully legal to sell as long as the buyer is aware.  Mileage won't be reset to zero with a new engine though.

1 hour ago, isetta said:

but when it says  "Part number F1FG-6006-BA is a Transit/Tourneo Connect service engine"  does service engine mean it is recon and not actually brand new, not sure. But either way it seems to be a good point and not a bad point  (I think), assuming it all seems to work properly and goes well

A service engine is a complete new engine from Ford without all additional parts and auxiliaries. In automotive language it is often referred to as a long block. Next to the service engines Ford also offers factory rebuild engines. A factory rebuild engine is approximately €700,- cheaper than a service engine. Both the service engines and the factory rebuild engines are sold on an "exchange" basis. The customer pays a core deposit on top of the price of the engine which is refunded after the old defective engine is shipped to the engine plant. The old engine is stripped and cleaned at the engine plant and if possible rebuild to factory specifications.

In this case the question is why needed the car a new engine and why the h*ll did somenone decide to install an engine that is not listed as a suitible part or alternative part for this vehicle. The correct Focus MK3  1.0 ECOboost engine that should be selected for this vehicle is still perfectly available from Ford. There are a lot of diferent versions of the 1.0 ECOboost engine which have quite a lot of technical differences. Because Ford does not supply internal engine parts of the bottom end or any detailed technical information of the bottom end of this engine it is very hard to determine the exact differences. 

Apart from this there is very little information available for part number F1FG-6006-BA. The part number Suffix (BA) suggests that this is a 125 HP engine (Suffix AA = 100 HP, Suffix BA = 125 HP). The part information however does not mention the horsepower at all. Being a Transit/Tourneo Connect engine I suspect that there only will be minor differences to the Focus MK3 engine. The Transit/Tourneo connect is technically close related to the Focus MK3. I would be a lot more concerned if it was for example a Fiesta engine.

There is nothing wrong with a new engine but if it was my car I would at least want to have the full service history including the exact reason why the engine was changed and a detailed description of the repair. It is important to know whether they only changed the engine or also additional parts like for example the dual mass flywheel or the clutch. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the information guys, I'm going to pop to a Ford garage to see if they have the history of the car and hopefully they will disclose!!

There was no information when I bought the car to state that anything has been changed/looked at etc so Ford will be my next chance!

• 9 months later...
On 1/13/2019 at 12:21 PM, Zece said:

Thanks for the information guys, I'm going to pop to a Ford garage to see if they have the history of the car and hopefully they will disclose!!

There was no information when I bought the car to state that anything has been changed/looked at etc so Ford will be my next chance!

Zece, what was the out come of this? I had my engine replace recently and it has the same code as yours. F1FG ...

Aidan,

You might have to wait a bit for Zece to reply. He last visited this forum on 24 April.

ScaniaPBman.

As your car is heavily out of warranty, I would say that the original engine went bang and that one is probably second hand from a write off

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club