Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Re call

Trickie Dickie

I have received a letter from Fords stating that my Focus requires a re call to insert an innovative software as a driving aid, to detect clutch slip and avoid a multitude of damages to the clutch etc.

has anyone received a similar re call letter and if so have you had any problems with the clutch etc in the past.

Yeah i had 1 for my 2011 tit x 21k's on it. no problem on mine, was only at the dealer for 40 mins while he checked it all over. 

• Like 1

Lots of them about, search the forum lots on it nothing to worry about, and no cost.

@Trickie Dickie I would remove all the personal details from the letter you have shown, anyone wanting to clone a car has all the information right there to do so

• Like 1

Forgive me, but here is the OP letter with no personal details just for reference, perhaps the OP could delete his attachment now?

letter no detail.jpeg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Forgive me, but here is the OP letter with no personal details just for reference, perhaps the OP could delete his attachment now?

letter no detail.jpeg

I didn't think of doing that myself, maybe a mod could remove the picture? Not sure if that's possible 

1 hour ago, Jonro2009 said:

@Trickie Dickie I would remove all the personal details from the letter you have shown, anyone wanting to clone a car has all the information right there to do so

Just noticed I frequently walk past the OPs house, seems to be a few locals joining recently... :laugh: 

Just noticed that this is the only forum I use without a 'report post' button, odd that...

2 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Just noticed that this is the only forum I use without a 'report post' button, odd that...

Are you using a PC or mobile?  On PC if you hover over the top right corner both 'share' and 'report post' pop up in blue.  May not work on mobile due to the hover though.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your messages, re the re call for updated innovative software drivers aid.

however Christmas 2017, my car came to a sudden halt and basically all that is listed in the re call letter happened to my car, clutch burnt out, fly wheel broken, clutch caught alight etc, car only me 35000 miles serviced by Fords etc. Had to have the car towed into garage. All parts replaced, Fords would not even offer any reductions and or refunds, there was no prior warning on the dash  board, so it sound like I had problems which could have been spotted if the software had been fitted back in 2017? Fords now tell me that it was just fair wear and Tear.

any thoughts on this please?

• Sad 1

Write to your dealer expressing your disappointment at the failure of the components, and subsequent recall which confirmed they knew there was a potential failure on Ford's part at such an event. Seek if they could reconsider their decision on charging you full price on repairs as a goodwill gesture in light of the recall. Keep calm in the letter, and stick to facts, keep emotion out of it. Oh, and CC the letter to 'BBC Watchdog'... best of luck. 

• Like 1

There is a ‘report post’ on iPad, Android and Tapatalk. iPad has the word ‘report’, android has a wee flag and Tapatalk is a bit of a pain because you have to long press the post then press the three dots at the top right and click on ‘report post’. 

Not sure if we should teach you how to report a post @StephenFord incase you report any of my posts lol - I’ve not reported one ever anyway. 

9C490A65-62C9-497C-91A5-BC86E4D67739.jpeg

CBC15C48-CA08-4C73-9A80-85F53823CF2B.jpeg

19D75E30-42EA-42D6-A701-BBA1056EC37B.jpeg

• Haha 1

Regarding your issue @Trickie Dickie I would do exactly as advised by Stephen, write a polite but very assertive and to the point email. 

If Ford have identified the problem and the symptoms are the exact same as what happened to your car the next they don’t have a leg to stand on.

i wouldn’t be accepting anything less than a full refund and an apology for not agreeing to a refund and suggesting ‘fair wear and tear’. 

You could also try speaking to Ford UK first if you feel the garage will just fob you off, have you spoken to the service Manager, Dealer Priciple or just ‘Becky’ from the service desk? 

Let us know how you get on 😁 

(as well as Watchdog the local press is your friend, especially if it’s a local family run franchise)

• Like 1

Hi, 

well i have written an email to Ford customer services and there reply was fair wear and tear and under the circumstances they would not entertain any refund. Yes I spoke to my garage John Grose and they told me to speak to Ford Customer services. 

I just feel that if this up date had been available last year when my car broke Down perhaps I would have had some warning and of course could have had any problem rectified at the time.

I have had my reply from Ford Customer Relationship a Centre and Stephen Garrad.

i feel that I am being Fobbed off.

Sadly, the clutch failure could be caused by fair wear and tear and you won't be able to prove otherwise now, especially without the old parts.  Low mileage town-driven cars will suffer more from clutch wear than one that sits on the motorway in one gear for 10s or 100s of miles at a time.

This software update could have alerted you to the clutch slip before it got to the point of complete failure, but if you didn't notice it slipping as a driver, it's possible it wouldn't have been noticed by the car's ECU either so the software may have made no difference.  Clutch slip is quite noticeable when driving even if you haven't experienced it before, the revs go up more than the road speed, there's more noise and there's a horrible smell as well.

Personally I believe there was a bad batch of clutches fitted to some Focus', despite Ford saying there wasn't.  I've seen quite a few on forums and Facebook groups that have completely failed without any warning (no noticeable slip), both before and after the software update.  Obviously I have no proof of this but there seem to have been too many for it to be a coincidence.  There are also those that people have just left slipping for a while, trying to save money, which eventually fail, and these are the ones the updated software is designed to prevent.

• Like 1

it seems to me that in hind sight the clutch failure could have been caused by a defective clutch or software error. If Richards car has been identified as being one of the vehicles that may have been affected, and this particular car presented with the complications of the fault that could have been potentially avoided had the software been correct at time of manufacture, then I would expect some sort of action from Ford.

While I can appreciate what Tom is saying that without the damaged parts there is no way to categorically say that it was fair wear and tear, there is also no way to say that it wasn’t caused by the known issue. With that in mind I would approach them again and ask them for a partial refund or some kind of ‘goodwill’ gesture, perhaps a free service/MOT

its worth a try, and I personally think that would be fair.

Well today received a reply from Fords stating fair wear and tear, cannot help.

of course without the parts I have not leg to stand on and not being a mechanic I have to go by what the garage states. 

So so reluctantly I have swallow the costs and me t car will not be purchased from Ford.