Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any how-to guides for installing an interior rear ceiling light in my mk2?

Reliance

Hi,

Sorry if I shouldn't be asking this here, I've had a look through the Guides section but can't see anything. Looking to get some light in the back of my car as the front light isn't enough alone with my daughter in her car seat in the back! Just wondering if there's any easy to follow guides about to get more light back there?

Thanks!

What I'm hoping to do is tap into my front courtesy light, run the wires straight back to above rear seats. Then cut a hole in roof lining and fit maybe the basic Focus mk2 courtesy light surround? Hopefully hook my wires upto that and have it act the same as front light? Coming on when engine is off and doors are unlocked etc... I'm assuming I'll have to take the roof lining out, have never done that before was hoping there's maybe a guide with some tips and do's and don'ts. Don't suppose there is already gonna be any rear courtesy light wiring in place? You know like sometimes in the lesser models the looms are often still there just not in use. Don't suppose that's the case with rear courtesy light? I've seen a lot of posts of people doing this type of upgrade, putting in courtesy lights, vanity lights, grab handles etc, but never actually a how-to guide!

This is from memory of doing the same mod on my Mk2.5. It was quite straight forward. I used a rear light from an mk1, that type comes with a metal bezel into which the light clips. You have to cut a hole in the head liner by marking the inside of the metal bezel and then inserting it and bending over the metal tabs to keep it in place. The hole should be slightly smaller than the inside of the bezel for a good secure fit. The metal tabs are then bent over to hold it in place. I seem to remember there was a reinforcing member running along the middle of the ceiling so you have to be careful where you make the hole, otherwise there won't be enough clearance above the light.  This can then be hooked upto the front light, there are three wires. They can be pushed through the space in the head liner using a stiff wire such as a wire coat hanger or household single core cable.   There's no need to remove the headliner. It is a worthwhile upgrade, you get much more light in the back! 

This was the light I used.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FOCUS-MK1-98-05-FOCUS-ST170-MONDEO-MK3-ESTATE-JAG-X-REAR-INTERIOR-LIGHT/223305127569?fits=Model%3AFocus&hash=item33fe05d691:g:hqUAAOSw~X1bf9vW:rk:32:pf:0

I hope this helps, I haven't owned that car for nearly 4 years now so unfortunately can't really give any more information than that.

It's a mission for me to sort something in the rear too especially at this time of year and with tints it's so dark in there.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club