Do Not Sell My Personal Information

28 sec oil

John Connolly

Hi All

I have a 2010 TDCI Focus. I have been researching running with 28sec heating oil, has anyone got any experience in running with this oil?  I know the tax man won't like it but I don't like the level of tax he has on a gallon of standard diesel either. I have read that a 20:1 mix of kerosene and veg oil would be almost identical to the real thing and to quote off another forum "Kerosene has a slightly lower lubricity than diesel. Diesel engines rely to a great extent on the lubricity of the fuel to lubricate the upper cylinder of the engine and the valve gear. Use kerosene and you will lose that lubrication. In addition, kerosene will have a tendency to dissolve any deposits that build up in a diesel engine, including the thin layer of deposits on the surface of the cyclinders which will cause the oil seal and compression rings to lose a little of their effectiveness. This can be overcome by adding a slightly heavier oil to the kerosene to replace the lubricity missing from the fuel. The perfect additive to kerosene to make it perform as well as diesel is something like rapeseed oil or sunflower oil. In fact, a 20:1 mix of kerosene and vegetable oil has almost all of the properties of diesel…an almost identical cetane rating, approximately the same energy content, lubricity and a viscocity of 35 seconds"

My question is, will it be ok to run it in my Focus using this 20:1 ratio?

Kind regards.

You are right, the tax man won't like it. Round here HMRC do checks periodically at the roadside and impound vehicles where untaxed fuel is being used. There is a release fee for the vehicle plus two £250 fines (one for filling with the untaxed fuel and the other for using the fuel) plus a charge to cover the duty owed on the fuel. Serious offences (whatever they are) can result in an unlimited fine plus two years in prison. Traffic police are also present and go over the vehicle very thoroughly looking for faults than can result in other offences, they are very good at finding things.

• Like 1

mate tried this years ago in his lgv van lets just say it nearly went bank it fu-cked his diesel pump and a bit more went wrong

• Like 1

As has already been said, DVSA now have fuel inspection vehicles.

It's only a case of when, rather than if they catch you (your exhaust smells differently just in case you're wondering) the men from the ministry will take great pleasure in jumping on you from a great height.

Your cars engine is designed to run on diesel, not a kerosene/vegetable oil mixture so why risk it?

• Like 1

I would be worried about what it might do to the injectors. Modern diesels have very delicate precise injectors which I think are very easily bu**ered

• Like 1

Common rail fuel systems are very, VERY sensitive to fuel quality. Running one on a homebrew mix of heating oil and crisp 'n' dry is a surefire way to cause epic levels of expensive fail...

• Like 1

This is a very bad idea for any common rail diesel. Heating oil has huge amounts of sulfur, not to mention lower cetane number. Injectors, cat converter and surely DPF are going to be damaged soon. Tough using heating oil in SDI diesels was still ok. Even old transformer oil. BTW engine oil is condensed diesel, and diesel fuel is diluted engine oil.

• Like 1

I think it's already been covered... :lol: But it won't work.  I've seen people wreck even early common rail farm cars (off road) with red diesel, it's just not the same as road diesel.  It will work in old mechanical injection systems which is probably what your quote is for.  

If you really want to save money on fuel, and cover large distances to make it worthwhile, see if you can find a local bio-diesel supplier.*  But I mean proper bio, not just WVO strained through a pair of tights lol.

*I take no responsibility if you get a dodgy batch that ruins your pump and injectors.

• Like 1

I used red many years ago in my old pug 405 well 50, 50,,, 50 red 50 white ran ok for many years few places still sell red on the garage forecourts near me

On 1/12/2019 at 6:42 PM, lasthope said:

mate tried this years ago in his lgv van lets just say it nearly went bank it fu-cked his diesel pump and a bit more went wrong

In a LDV van I'd be surprised if he could tell the difference! :whip:

Heating oil isn't red diesel though. Its a different grade of fuel generally designed to be burned in boilers and vapourising stoves. I'd not run a two cylinder dumper truck on the stuff!

18 hours ago, lasthope said:

I used red many years ago in my old pug 405 well 50, 50,,, 50 red 50 white ran ok for many years few places still sell red on the garage forecourts near me

That wouldn't have been common rail though...  It'll be mechanical injection XUD engine, and as long as it was on a Bosch pump, not a Lucas one, you could've run it on neat veg no problem, as well as old engine oil or even unfiltered WVO lol.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

That wouldn't have been common rail though...  It'll be mechanical injection XUD engine, and as long as it was on a Bosch pump, not a Lucas one, you could've run it on neat veg no problem, as well as old engine oil or even unfiltered WVO lol.

I loved that car tried to find one last year but wanting to much lol then got the 406 then 806 never had any probs with them pugs

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I ran a rover 200 diesel for a couple of years on straight kero 28sec. Never missed a beat and I took it out of service at 275,000 miles.

Fire it in.

• Confused 1

as already written

you can smell the illegal stuff - usually a jail sentence for robbing the tax man - in today's world fiddling with kids and stabbing people to death is OK, but u must pay your taxes

on anything modern with a high pressure pump and electronic injectors, the risks / costs far outweighs running real stuff even if its 10 quid a litre
my brother tried all this home-made veg rot, destroyed 3 cars - the piston rings gum up and it overheats - use real tractor fuel every other fill up

This thread is 2 years old and as is nearly always the case with stuff like this the Original Poster made one post, 12th Jan 2019 and never came back. Total waste of everyone's time.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club