Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Power folding mirrors ?

Ian Lanc

Hi guys,

Son is getting a 64 plate ST1 and he wants to fit power folding mirrors! Is this possible ? 

Yes and no lol.

I would ditch the st-1 and get an st-3 where power fold mirrors are standard if you want them that much. You can also get them as an option on an ST-2 which is a little bit more but will hold it's value better and be much easier to sell than a ST-1.

It's not a cheap job unless you find some used ones on eBay along with the switch. By far the hardest parts is figuring out if the wiring loom is already in place to support the folding ability. Then you have to program them in using Forscan and hope they have full functionality.

Those that I have seen retrofit to their car never got them to fold in with the key fob and had to use the switch on the door each time. Oh and as soon as winter comes and they freeze up, the motors end up knackered when you unlock the car and the mirrors can't move out.

20 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

Oh and as soon as winter comes and they freeze up, the motors end up knackered when you unlock the car and the mirrors can't move out.

Thanks for the reply. Just out of interest I've a 10 plate Fiesta, had it from brand new and never had any such problems with the mirrors unfolding in wintertime.

I've never had the need to look at the motor in such mirrors but I'm told there's a simple clutch to 'save' the motor and the relay will trip out well before the motor even has time to burn out if the mirror doesn't unfold or fold in.

I've had two Fiestas with folding mirrors for the last 5 years.   Never had a problem, even in the coldest weather.

• Thanks 1

On 1/13/2019 at 9:13 PM, Bobr said:

I've had two Fiestas with folding mirrors for the last 5 years.   Never had a problem, even in the coldest weather.

Been talking to a chap at a local ford garage, he too has never had to replace a blown motor on any power folding mirrors, but he say if I flip the mirror switch and make the mirror - fold in - fold out - fold in - fold out.... quickly/none stop, the electronic relay will act as there being a fault and will trip out, turning the ignition off for a minute, then turning back on, the relay would have reset itself and should still work as usual

I tried this and it did indeed trip and it reset, garage mechanic just winked at me and said that's the safety device mate 😄 

Mine is a 2011 titanium with power folding mirrors in ice/cold/wet not 1 problem,i have had car for over 4 years.

• Thanks 1

On 1/12/2019 at 6:30 PM, Ian Lanc said:

Hi guys,

Son is getting a 64 plate ST1 and he wants to fit power folding mirrors! Is this possible ? 

It is possible as I have done it on my 2015 Fiesta and replaced them myself which was easy enough to do. The mirrors cost me £80 and 20 for the control panel  and then I used forscan to activate them. He will be looking at around £100 if he going to retrofit them himself. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/16/2019 at 4:58 PM, BJT said:

then I used forscan to activate them. 

I'm a bit behind the times with modern stuff but what's 'forscan' ?

Son has his ST1 now, what a car and by heck does it go, he's spotted a few dints and a long scratch but for now he's going to get those repaired, then he's really going to town in cleaning the car up and making it pristine, last owner never waxed it, nor looked after it.

6 hours ago, Ian Lanc said:

'm a bit behind the times with modern stuff but what's 'forscan' ?

http://forscan.org/download.html

It is a Ford specific diagnostic system that can also do many service functions, log live data, and make configuration changes. It is probably the most comprehensive system you can get for a Ford outside the dealer level IDS. And it is free download for Windows, or a modest fee for Android & iOS Apps.

It is, at least as far as I have tested it, safe and free from unwanted side effects that a lot of software can have. I have found it extremely useful.

It needs an ELM327 adapter, about £16. There is loads of info about it on this site, eg see:

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Tdci-Peter said:

It is a Ford specific diagnostic system that can also do many service functions

Thank-you kindly Peter.

• Like 1

My mirrors were frozen solid this morning.   Pressed the button to unlock the doors and the mirrors unfolded with no problem.   I could see ice dropping off the hinge.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

It is possible as I have done it on my 2015 Fiesta and replaced them myself which was easy enough to do. The mirrors cost me £80 and 20 for the control panel  and then I used forscan to activate them. He will be looking at around £100 if he going to retrofit them himself. 

Hi mate, 

Any chance you could run me through how to code these in? I have forscan and the cable, I have the mirrors and I’m just waiting on the switch arriving tomorrow. I’ve never used Forscan yet and I’m just wondering where I need to go to adapt the mirrors in? 

Thanks

J

11 hours ago, STJAY said:

Hi mate, 

Any chance you could run me through how to code these in? I have forscan and the cable, I have the mirrors and I’m just waiting on the switch arriving tomorrow. I’ve never used Forscan yet and I’m just wondering where I need to go to adapt the mirrors in? 

Thanks

J

Hi yes absolutely

1 connect the lead to your car and the other side to your computer

2 open forscan and press connect

3 the software will start reading your car and when it is complete it will as to save a profile that is when you know when its done

4 on the left side there is a series of buttons going down the page - click the one that looks like a computer chip which is think is the 6th one down

5 you will now have many different modules (bcim aiipm ) but you are looking for the "central configurator"

6 press the play button

7 at the top left screen you will be able to enable engineering mode 1 or 2 which will allow you to edit the parameters

8 scroll down to mirrors press on it and set the parameter to powerfolding with puddle lamp I think it was but not 100%sure

9 press write and wait for the process to be complete (very important) the car will make a few noises but that's the software being written

10 after this press the disconnect button and try your mirrors

hope this helps

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BJT said:

Hi yes absolutely

3 the software will start reading your car and when it is complete it will as to save a profile that is when you know when its done

4 on the left side there is a series of buttons going down the page - click the one that looks like a computer chip which is think is the 6th one down

5 you will now have many different modules (bcim aiipm ) but you are looking for the "central configurator"

6 press the play button

7 at the top left screen you will be able to enable engineering mode 1 or 2 which will allow you to edit the parameters

8 scroll down to mirrors press on it and set the parameter to powerfolding with puddle lamp I think it was but not 100%sure

9 press write and wait for the process to be complete (very important) the car will make a few noises but that's the software being written

hope this helps

Absolute gentleman, just one question, do you edit on engineering 1 or 2 or both? Lol. Really appreciate your help, that was a great walkthrough. 

J

19 hours ago, STJAY said:

Absolute gentleman, just one question, do you edit on engineering 1 or 2 or both? Lol. Really appreciate your help, that was a great walkthrough. 

J

As far as I’m aware the option only shows up on either 1 or 2(I only did it on 1 if my mind serves me correct), but there would be harm doing it on both of them. You are more than welcome I’m glad I could help 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BJT said:

As far as I’m aware the option only shows up on either 1 or 2(I only did it on 1 if my mind serves me correct), but there would be harm doing it on both of them. You are more than welcome I’m glad I could help 

Nice one mate, thanks very much 😄

On 9/8/2020 at 11:47 AM, BJT said:

Hi yes absolutely

6 press the play button

hope this helps

Hi Guys, I assume this is for the MK7.5 fiesta on a 2015?? I’m trying to complete a folding mirror upgrade on a MK7 2011 Zetec S, does anyone know if its the same process please. Been tracking down info on this for a few hours now and this thread is by far the best yet!! Thanks in advance for any help!!

Never did update this thread! Son had fitted the power folding mirrors, they even have to puddle lights underneath, makes me kinda jealous I've not got puddle lights.

He used a friend who has the forscan to make them work correctly.

• 2 weeks later...

What model was your fiesta ?

On 9/23/2020 at 9:41 PM, TJR121 said:

What model was your fiesta ?

Sorry for the delay 

my car was a fiesta 1.0 ecoboost zetec 2015/65 model without a single option on it 

On 9/30/2020 at 5:22 PM, BJT said:

Sorry for the delay 

my car was a fiesta 1.0 ecoboost zetec 2015/65 model without a single option on it 

Np, same here lol i have done the install now very easy and all i have to do know is lock the car and they fold in, or i simply push in the button on the door!

If anyone needs any help please message me and ill be happy to give you instructions as i have just done it my self.

On 1/12/2019 at 6:30 PM, Ian Lanc said:

Hi guys,

Yes this is soo easy please let me know if you need any help??

21 hours ago, TJR121 said:

Np, same here lol i have done the install now very easy and all i have to do know is lock the car and they fold in, or i simply push in the button on the door!

If anyone needs any help please message me and ill be happy to give you instructions as i have just done it my self.

Brilliant mate glad it worked but yeah a nice easy hour or so and for so much cheaper than buying them from Ford 

On 10/4/2020 at 10:18 AM, BJT said:

Brilliant mate glad it worked but yeah a nice easy hour or so and for so much cheaper than buying them from Ford 

Yes, much cheaper, i brought the mirrors for 170 for both brand new, then brought a mirror switch off eBay for £19 then i just i swapped the mirrors and switch and then coded it via forscan and it was sooo easy cheers for your help mate.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club