Do Not Sell My Personal Information

focus very slow for 125bhp!

sween85

hi ive just recently bought a ford focus zetec 1.6  petrol125 2011 and its really slow like there's no pull at all, theres no lights on the dash indicating a problem, in my opinion theres no way its 125 bhp being that slow, does it need a pcm update maybe?

thanks in advance

thought this was meant to be a forum where people help you?!

6 minutes ago, sween85 said:

thought this was meant to be a forum where people help you?!

Chill out, you have the 1.6 N/A petrol it will feel slow because it is, if you wanted more feel of pull you should've bought the 1.0 Ecoboost same power but a lot more torque

Most you can do is give it a good service maybe uprated plugs change your fuel filter for a quality one. Clean out your throttle body. Use premium fuel optimax or tesco premium brand.  A induction filter will give you the noise, a cat back, straight pipe exhaust will you the note. I mean you could do fast road cams etc.. Tbh no point. You could go down the generic map route but you would gain 8 to 10 bhp, would this be worth £250

Treat it to a dyno session to see exactly what it is doing.

Or try to find a similar car at a garage and try it to see if there's a difference or not. . There not exactly the best engine for the MK3. Didn't you road-test it before buying it? 

cheers for answers guys, yea i took it for a test drive, wasnt a long one to be honest shud of gone on a longer drive, ding get me wrong inlove the drive its comfortable but just disappointed with the pull on it, i dont get how its 125bhp , doesnt that go off acceleration?

So it's not the bhp you have a issue with its the torque...... 

yea as soon as i put my foot down in 2nd gear upwards theres no pull at all

Mapped will go from 125-140 bhp

Torque 170nm - 190nm

You won't get no pull from a n/a. Tbh diesel may of been a better option depending on usage

ive just gotten rid of a diesel because i dont really travel far so petrol was the better option for me, but yea i was thinking of a remap. what does the n/a mean?

Naturally asperated.  Ie non turbo

You have approx 140ft lb torque. Naturally asperated.  Ie non turbo

125bhp is never going to feel fast. Maybe you're thinking back and comparing to when the likes of RS Turbos were considered fast cars with 130bhp, those cars though were a lot lighter than modern equivalents loaded with safety features.

Has the car been recently serviced?Have you checked that filters, plugs etc are all in good order? 

Have you definitely got the 125bhp engine and not the 100bhp version? Its worth checking your engine numbers match in case it's been replaced.

Screenshot_20190116-081833_Samsung Internet.jpg

Depending on how long you've had it I think you might be able to take it back or swap it for a 1.0 ecoboost (Might cost a bit more on top)

10 minutes ago, Ryan_Tango said:

Depending on how long you've had it I think you might be able to take it back or swap it for a 1.0 ecoboost (Might cost a bit more on top)

Or even better 1.6 Ecoboost!!! 😉

2 hours ago, sween85 said:

ive just gotten rid of a diesel because i dont really travel far so petrol was the better option for me, but yea i was thinking of a remap. what does the n/a mean?

This is the trouble with petrols, even the turbo ones don't give you the torquey shove that you get from similar powered diesels.  The 1.6 Ti-VCT is a pretty poor engine tbh, the powerband is useless, if you want torque you really have to thrash it, unlike a diesel that will pull from low down in the rev range.  Try holding the gears for longer for a start, the redline is further round on a petrols for a reason.

Really, you should've gone for at least a 1.6 EcoBoost (150/180bhp) to get the feeling of torque that you're after, I don't think the 1.0EB will satisfy you either.  Oh, and don't bother remapping your current 1.6, honestly you wont feel any difference, it'll just be a waste of money.

ok thanks for all your replies guys ive only had it a week so im going to go back to ford and look for a 1.6 eco boost nstead and give this one back

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

This is the trouble with petrols, even the turbo ones don't give you the torquey shove that you get from similar powered diesels.  

Yes, agree. I had turbodiesels with 200 - 295 lbs/ft of torque for over 20 years, found it very hard to adapt back to petrol - even the turbos feel a bit weedy, but with current mileage can't really justify diesel economically, plus we now have particulate filters, adblue etc to bother about.

We tend to get a bit hung up on sexy sounding bhp figures when generally it's the torque that makes it feel "fast" in everyday driving.

I think about Usain Bolt - when he reaches max pace near the end of the 100m that's horsepower, but when he explodes out of the trap - that's torque!😁

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club