Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta EcoBoost 140bhp Upgrade

SpeedDemonInTheMaking

What’s up guys, fairly new to this website so bare with me.

3 weeks ago i bought a 2016 Ford Fiesta 140bhp Red Edition with 9500 miles on the clock. Lovely motor and nippy for the small engine. 

I want to get a tuning kit from TDI Tuning so that I don’t override the stock map for warranty and insurance purposes. 

If I upgraded the bhp to 175bhp, what sort of mechanical upgrades would I have to make to the engine to make sure that the turbo doesn’t blow up? I.E. Induction Kit, Air Filters, Exhaust or any other upgrades. 

If you have any suggestions that would help it would be appreciated. 

If it doesn't overwrite the stock map then how can it work properly (if at all)? Surely they would tell you what's required for an upgrade to 175hp? Personally would stick so something by mountune who do warranty friendly remaps if you're so bothered.

It’s a tuning box that feeds a new map to the engine but doesn’t overwrite the original one. So when you disconnect the tuning box it goes back to normal. Don’t know the technical lingo for it to be honest. Sorry for my lack of knowledge in this area

It doesn't feed a new map to at all.  It just fools your current map into adding extra fuel pressure & boost under certain conditions.  Bit more complicated than a resistor in a box these days but it's the same effect.

175bhp is a stage 1 map, it doesn't require any mechanical upgrades.  You can change the intake or exhaust if you want, but it won't increase the reliability.

Ahh ok thanks for the info, what would increase reliability? I understand that I would be braking harder and changing gears more regularly, which are both expensive to replace. Any mechanical parts in the engine that would help with reliability? 

If it were me, I would be staying away from tuning boxes as they trick the car into changing normal engine running parameters.  Obviously they are safe to use, some more so than others, as they are still on the market, but for me I'd rather run standard or get a remap.  Ideally, with a remap, you would change the intake and exhaust to let the car "breathe" better to aid the map and get the best out of it. As for reliability, you'd also be better upgrading the intercooler along with that.  If you were looking that sort of power output, you'd of been safer getting an ST, yes more expensive and stuff, but everything is done and ready to go.

1 hour ago, SpeedDemonInTheMaking said:

Ahh ok thanks for the info, what would increase reliability? I understand that I would be braking harder and changing gears more regularly, which are both expensive to replace. Any mechanical parts in the engine that would help with reliability? 

Any increase in power, whether it's a tuning box or remap, will potentially reduce reliability, there's not really much you can do about it.  If you find that you're cooking the brakes you could upgrade the pads and discs, or even fit ST calipers, but you don't actually need to.  I've remapped several cars on both standard and upgraded parts, the upgraded parts were the ones to cause more issues as they didn't quite fit properly etc.  As long as the car is up to date with servicing, stick a remap or tuning box on it and see how you go. :smile: 

Ok thanks, the only thing I’m worried about is my turbo blowing up. It happened to a mate of mine a few years ago. 

Anyrhing that would keep the turbo safe safe I would invest in. It’s my first car and just want a bit more power lol. 

Thanks for all the advice 

Oh I have another question. Forgetting remaps and tuning kits for a moment.

Is there anything I could do to increase my MPG other than driving in an economical manor? 

15 hours ago, SpeedDemonInTheMaking said:

Is there anything I could do to increase my MPG other than driving in an economical manor? 

Weight reduction bro!

I would be more worried about the gearbox going tbh. It's right at the limit at 140hp and isn't really safe to go much higher. 

The turbo is fairly strong on these engines, but there's nothing you can do to keep it safe except keeping the power at the stock level.  I've blown a few turbo's over the years, one on a stock car and two on modified cars, it's just one of those things that will take extra abuse from a power increase, some can take it, some can't.

As Luke says, the gearbox is a far more likely failure point than the turbo on this particular model, but again, there's nothing you can do to keep it safe if you want a power increase.

The best thing for MPG is driving economically.  Keep watching ahead, drive smoothly, don't brake, don't accelerate harshly, use engine braking etc.  Reality is though, other people's unobservant/ignorant actions and traffic lights etc make it impossible to do that in the real world lol.  Also if you're only doing short town journeys you'll struggle to get decent MPG compared with sitting on the motorway at 60 for long periods.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club