Do Not Sell My Personal Information

totally dead car

RichardJ

Help. I've tried to fit a Nextbase dashcam hardwired power cable. The instructions state to connect to a switched fused connection using their "piggybacked " fused connector. easy they said 

i chose fuse 80 ( electric Sunroof which it doesn't have ?) off the cabin fuse box under the glove box. an easy cable run install. after connection the electrics went haywire. many warnings pinged up, low tyre pressure, no key in car, ignition start/stop failed intermittently, interior lights slowly failed and eventually stop/start just didn't do anything. now the whole car is dead, nothing, no lights, no ignition...  nothing.. except weirdly the glove box light still functions. I've checked the fuses in cabin and under bonnet and all good. its now sitting on the drive with Dash cam cable removed and unlocked dead!

any ideas or help is greatly appreciated  

Rich 

1 hour ago, RichardJ said:

i chose fuse 80 ( electric Sunroof which it doesn't have ?) off the cabin fuse box under the glove box. an easy cable run install. after connection the electrics went haywire. many warnings pinged up, low tyre pressure, no key in car, ignition start/stop failed intermittently, interior lights slowly failed and eventually stop/start just didn't do anything.

There is a pre-fuse box on the Mk3 Focus, and one of these, PF9, 50A, supplies F80 for the sunroof. It also powers a lot of other stuff, it is one of the main fuses, so little will work if it is blown.

I suspect a short happened, somehow, between the live side of F80 and earth. This supply is always live (while battery is connected), so a short while the ignition is off will still blow it.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, RichardJ said:

fuses in cabin and under bonnet

From photos, it looks like the Pre-fuses are hidden down one side of the main fusebox in the engine bay. They are all the big, bolt-down type. I think disconnecting the -ve battery lead would be essential before bringing metal tools anywhere near these!

PreFuse.gif

• Like 1

Just flip the trip switch in the fuse box, it'll be fine, i presume these cars have a trip switch? 

What cars do you know that has a trip switch? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, martyntdci said:

Mine has two but I've fitted them myself 

30Amp and 40Amp circuit breakers for the amplifiers,;

Trip switch style fuses are also a thing but not factory fitted here's a link: https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32941968562.html?pid=808_0000_0131&spm=a2g0n.search-amp.list.32941968562&aff_trace_key=&aff_platform=msite&m_page_id=1061JlzV89sB9TZikiMsjkXUgqHKzJh3sLrf_319wqhOhwR9oOqZeYRn2eZpxQfsPp_u1547558291392 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, martyntdci said:

I'm going on Dragons Den soon, with Lenny.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club