Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cleaning car wash wax off of windscreen and bodywork

Steve L

I took my car into a local petrol station and cleaned it using a lance type washer.

The car wash included car wax of some kind which has smeared the windscreen and left wax deposits the size and shape of snowflakes (only description I can think of right now) in some places on the body work.

What are the best products available to remove the car wax from the following and to generally clean the car:-

1. The windscreen
  2. The bodywork

I don't want to strip the car completely of wax just remove the stuborn marks from the bodywork and windscreen.

Also do you have any other bodywork and windscreen cleaning techniques/tips for a novice.

Thanks in advance for any proven methods/products and helpful comments.

Best way is cameron Diaz in bad teacher 😋

I use isopropyl alcohol for windscreen, and for the stubborn marks you could try some sort of quick detailer like Autoglym Rapid Detailer and try get rid of it that way, that's what I do if I find any minor inperfections

• Thanks 1

I just use a cheap household window cleaner with vinegar in for the windscreen.  Strips through grease and wax easily so be sure not to get it on the bodywork.

Bodywork is more difficult, if it's wax that's gone off, you might find it difficult to remove without removing the good wax from the surrounding area.  Quick detailer/Showroom shine is probably worth a try as Ryan said.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

If it’s only wax Isopropyl alcohol (I’d dilute it on paint though).  On paint panel wipe should do the job (Halfords sell packs of wipes).  Neat concentrated screen wash can work on glass too.  If it was me I’d be trying to get whatever it is off entirely to be honest.  If not the quick deatailer suggestion is a good shout - there’s a principle that two “like” products remove each other so you effectively replace what’s there with what you put on (hence the never ending debate about wax “layering”).

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club