Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 Focus acceleration hesitation

AndyFields

Hi,

In the summer of 2017 I bought a new 1.5L duratorq tdci 120ps Focus, and I was very happy with it - no problems or anything.

In February 2018 when it was very cold I noticed there was some hesitation on acceleration. It wasn't anything too significant, but my daily commute is a 60 mile round trip and it was more than noticeable that something was not as it should be.

I took it in to the local main dealer and nothing could be found but I beleive some codes were reset. Unfortunately I didn't get more details than that and it felt like a new car when I drove it off. This only lasted for a day until the same problem came back. I booked the car in again, and this time I was told the fuel filter had been replaced. After lots of googling beforehand I thought this might have been the cause.

The car was fine all summer and autumn till it got cold in October, when the hesitation and juddering started again. The car was booked in again and the fuel filter replaced again. I was also told to avoid supermarket fuel, which I have since done religiously but now a couple of weeks ago I start getting the same problem.

The car had it's first service at 12500 miles and i've now done about 25000. It's parked on the driveway overnight

After much googling again, I came across lots of advice about deisel gelling in cold weather. Certainly the cold weather seems to be a trigger for the problems I'm having, but surely this can't be a common issue otherwise there would be a continuous stream of cars going in for repair? It's not even really got that cold.

Would it be advisable to add something like the STP diesel winter treatment to each tank when I fill up? I'm not knowledgeable enough to argue the matter with Ford, and if they say they still can't find anything that's causing the filter to get blocked I'm not sure where to turn to next.

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

I recall reading somewhere that there was a software update issued for this issue.

Take it to Ford and ask them to upgrade your modules as there would have been many since 2017, and as your car is still under warranty might as well get it done for free.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

HI ANdy

Thanks for the reply, and I'll certainly do that.

On previous visits there was never any mention of software updates. I'm due another service anyway so I'll get it booked in now that I have a bit more info to back me up.

Thanks again

Andy

decent brands of fuel add an anti-waxing agent well before the cold weather gets bad in UK tractor fuel

if your getting some local rubbish made out of chip fat or stolen heater fuel, you may have issues, but if its a major Shell bp or esso garage you shouldn't have fuel issues until its well under -10C

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Just a bit of an update and hopefully some closure....

Took the car in for a service and explained about the filter again, given that the last one only lasted for a couple of months. I asked about the software updates too.

When I collected the car I was told the software was up to date, but they said they found a split in a hose connected to the turbo, and that this was the likely cause. I've had the car back for a few days now and the weather has since been down to -3, but everything is fine without any repeat of the issues that previously plagued me in slightly cold weather

I think I must have had that split in the hose for a very long time as I don't remember the car ever being as responsive as it is now, even after I have the filters replaced.

Either way, all seems to be sorted!

Thanks for all your help and advice

Andy

• Like 1

nice to hear a successful visit to a dealer….

when you say software is up-to-date…. did they mean they have now updated or nothing was required?  they never tell the truth or everyone would be in daily getting the current software on their cars

18 hours ago, AndyFields said:

Hi All,

Just a bit of an update and hopefully some closure....

Took the car in for a service and explained about the filter again, given that the last one only lasted for a couple of months. I asked about the software updates too.

When I collected the car I was told the software was up to date, but they said they found a split in a hose connected to the turbo, and that this was the likely cause. I've had the car back for a few days now and the weather has since been down to -3, but everything is fine without any repeat of the issues that previously plagued me in slightly cold weather

I think I must have had that split in the hose for a very long time as I don't remember the car ever being as responsive as it is now, even after I have the filters replaced.

Either way, all seems to be sorted!

Thanks for all your help and advice

Andy

Good man for posting an update/resolution, it might help someone in the future (nothing worse than threads were the Op never posts how things end).

• Like 2

On 1/29/2019 at 6:56 PM, Botus said:

nice to hear a successful visit to a dealer….

when you say software is up-to-date…. did they mean they have now updated or nothing was required?  they never tell the truth or everyone would be in daily getting the current software on their cars

Sorry, I meant it was updated last time the filter was replaced in October.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club