Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering gives the creaks

NWDenso

Hi all, this is my first interaction on this site so forgive if ive missed a thread somewhere. to give a brief rundown of my MK2's issue, whenever I turn at slower speeds or when parked, I hear a creaking sound (happens when turned in either direction.) some of the symptoms of this from what I can tell is a loud whirring from the power steering pump but I cant tell if the aux belt is the issue here. it also tends to chew up the offside tyres more than normal which obviously indicates its coming from this side. I have already taken it to a garage who "diagnosed" it as a steering rack issue, but im tempted to disagree having not yet gone to an alternative garage to prove if this is right or wrong. the latest mot gave me an "offside front lower suspension arm ball joint has slight play" which potentially could be related to this.

im also a bit low on power and initially got 5 different fault codes, but doing an  oil change, running it in with redex and getting a new air filter have gotten rid of all codes apart from a p1000 which im told is fairly generic. it had a P138B (glow plug module?) but this went when redex was dropped in the tank. needs a new clutch too...

if anyone else has had this issue then id be grateful to hear about it

My old 1.6 sport used to creak at low speed sometimes. I think you need to budget for a rack?

6 hours ago, wild_one said:

My old 1.6 sport used to creak at low speed sometimes. I think you need to budget for a rack?

Ill take it to a few garages for their feedback and if it is the case ill probably go reconditioned, new tie rods etc. 

6 hours ago, NWDenso said:

Ill take it to a few garages for their feedback and if it is the case ill probably go reconditioned, new tie rods etc. 

Its best to check the easy and obvious things first, and always get a second opinion on a costly repair. Let us know how you get on.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wild_one said:

Its best to check the easy and obvious things first, and always get a second opinion on a costly repair. Let us know how you get on.

absolutely mate, ill see what some garages come up with and drop a reply here, cheers for the replies. hopefully they dont rule the car as scrap haha

It could be something as cheap as a ball joint, definitely get at least 3 professional opinions before committing to an expensive repair.

18 hours ago, 1979Damian said:

It could be something as cheap as a ball joint, definitely get at least 3 professional opinions before committing to an expensive repair.

exactly, ill find out once ive checked. safe to say im willing to try and do any job required, whether or not I succeed...

• Haha 1

I have a mk2 1.6 ti with with same noise coming from the power steering pump at low speeds. i also have an advisory on my lower control arm ball joint front right had this changed and still makes the same noise checked power steering fluid seems fine going to  change power steering fluid next to see if that makes a difference mine seems to go away after a minute of driving tho 

On 1/19/2019 at 3:22 PM, YAAARIS said:

I have a mk2 1.6 ti with with same noise coming from the power steering pump at low speeds. i also have an advisory on my lower control arm ball joint front right had this changed and still makes the same noise checked power steering fluid seems fine going to  change power steering fluid next to see if that makes a difference mine seems to go away after a minute of driving tho 

I get you, same ***** but i was told about the rack at a garage, but when i pulled out the headlight to check the steering fluid reservoir it hadn't been touched (still caked in dust around the cap which hadnt been disturbed)

Ultimately it is probably the rack,mine had small metal fragments in the reservoir so thats never a good sign to be honest

• Sad 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club