Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cruise control issue

wild_one

The cruise control on my 1.8tdci will not respond to the 'on' switch. To use cruise I have to press the '+' button which puts the symbol on the dash and engages cruise. I can use the '-' and '+' buttons to increase and decrease speed as normal but to turn cruise off I have to touch the pedals. Anything I can do with Forscan to interrogate cruise or is it possible failing buttons on the steering wheel?

The simplest way to test is to hold the heated rear window switch down while turning the ignition on. This should put the GEM in to diagnostic mode and any button press should cause the indicators to flash and a bleep to sound. 

More info here: https://www.fordwiki.co.uk/index.php/GEM_Module_Self_Diagnostics

18 hours ago, wild_one said:

The cruise control on my 1.8tdci will not respond to the 'on' switch. To use cruise I have to press the '+' button which puts the symbol on the dash and engages cruise. I can use the '-' and '+' buttons to increase and decrease speed as normal but to turn cruise off I have to touch the pedals. Anything I can do with Forscan to interrogate cruise or is it possible failing buttons on the steering wheel?

The "On" button doesn't turn cruise off on the MK2, it purely arms the system ready for the driver to set whatever cruise speed they want.  The "RES" button toggles it on and off (at whatever speed it was engaged at last), the "Off" button entirely disarms cruise so it won't respond to any inputs until the "On" button is pressed again.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 1979Damian said:

The "On" button doesn't turn cruise off on the MK2, it purely arms the system ready for the driver to set whatever cruise speed they want.  The "RES" button toggles it on and off (at whatever speed it was engaged at last), the "Off" button entirely disarms cruise so it won't respond to any inputs until the "On" button is pressed again.

The only switch that puts the light on the dash is the +. If I press the  'on' switch, nothing happens no light on dash, nothing.

Just now, wild_one said:

The only switch that puts the light on the dash is the +. If I press the  'on' switch, nothing happens no light on dash, nothing.

Correct, the "On" button just arms/enables the cruise control system (it's a rather silly step that Ford insist on, it's not like someone is going to accidentally activate cruise control by accidentally pressing the + button), pressing the + button after pressing the On button will activate the cruise control at the speed you're travelling at that point.

When cruise control is active i.e. the green circle symbol is illuminated, pressing the "RES" will deactivate cruise control but leave the system armed i.e. it will remember the speed you had it set at last so if you press the RES button again it will accelerate back up to that speed.  (If you press the OFF button it turns the system off and it will forget what the last "set" speed was so even if you press the "On" button after pressing "Off" you'll have to press the "Set" button to pick a new cruise speed.

• Like 1

exactly as 1979Damian says. 

nanny state "pointless safety idea" virtually all manufactures fit.  With the unlit steering wheel buttons of a focus, on an unlit road I find it particularly painful as I only drive it now and then I can't work out which buttons I need and often once set cancel the lot with that pointless switch.... only to go back to square one not knowing what to press...

proper cars you just set a speed.... and a stalk is much better than silly buttons... and the name res (short for resume) is a dim name for cancel too !  no doubt some 3 year old who doesn't even have a driving licence believes res means reset (which would almost explain each feature it does), but why move away from a naming convention some 70 years old that worked well ?

• Like 1