Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Red Edition Fiesta MPG

SpeedDemonInTheMaking

Hey guys, 

Recently purchased my first car which is a Red Edition Fiesta and I’m only getting 300 miles out of the tank, I don’t drive like a maniac all the time, I do like to enjoy the power now and again though. I do mainly short journeys around my town which I’ve been told may be the factor causing my low MPG.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Yep! The ecoboost isn't as economical as claimed. Team that with short town journeys and you will probably get 300 miles to a tank. 

Around town you're always sat at lights idling and always braking and accelerating. Motorway journeys are much more economical as you're sat at a constant speed for ages.

I get an average of 40mpg overall but I do a long journey once a week.   If I'm just doing short journeys around town in between times I only get 30mpg'.   On a long run I get 55mpg.   It's not so much how you drive; more like where you drive.

35mpg around town is about right, should close to 60 on a long run if you drive like this:

Fuel consumption

Driving smoothly means anticipating  this will allow you to see when corners are coming, and also if there are other vehicles that you might need to overtake or brake for. A really common occurrence is to see a driver zoom rapidly up to the rear of a car on the motorway and slam on the brakes as if they didn’t see them. This just uses up your petrol and brakes. Start slowing down slightly earlier and moderate your speed so that you catch up with the vehicle in front at a time when they are able to pull back into the left. Or, if you are in a place where you can’t overtake, there’s no reason to come barrelling up behind someone as you can catch them up gradually.

Anticipation can be used when approaching traffic lights. If the lights have been green for a while as you are approaching them, it’s likely they will turn red by the time you get there. Similarly, if they’ve been red a long time as you’ve been approaching, they could turn green. This is more effective if you know the road and the phasing of the lights.

Agree with the other guys. My 140 has averaged 42/43 over the 11 months I've had it, that's mainly on single carriageway A/B roads with very little town or motorway. Best tankful I've seen was 53 touring Norfolk.

Pretty similar mpg to what I achieved with my previous SEAT Leon (1.8, 180ps) actually, so agree the 1.0 ecoboost is not particularly economical, though not bad for the performance on offer.

I get 40ish around town and just under 50mpg on long runs (125ps EB)

The tank is on the small side too at 42L (I believe) so this adds to the issue or more visits to the petrol station.

Used have the same scenario with my Mazda 2, small car, small tank 🙂

I will agree with all above,i have the old 1.6 titanium 2011 and my mate has the 2014 focus 125 Eco and we both do very local driving and i mean very stop and start and

where i can get anything from 25 to 30 if driven right he gets 35 or around that,he beats me a bit more on a run say 45 to 50 for him and me its 40 or just over.

As I've mentioned in other posts on this topic I get about 50-55 mpg on my daily 64 mile round commute to work. I have the Fiesta ST-Line 140 model (2016) which is essentially the same as the black and red editions models.

It's a mix of A&B roads and about 65% motorway where I'm usually sitting around 70mph (ish). Over an average month I get about 450 miles from a tank.

Short stop start journeys will kill the mpg, but that applies to any car to some extent. Around town I get low to mid 40's mpg.

As suggested above anticipating well and driving smoothly will increase your mpg quite a lot.

For the sort of driving I do, I am quite impressed with the mpg I get and it's more than I expected. I'm sure if I was a bit more careful and kept my speed on the motorway to about 60-65mph I'd be getting close to 60mpg on my commute.

Ok thanks guys 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club