Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6 TDCi - Can you just bolt on a bigger turbo? (gtb1449vz)

ThePowster

Evening guru's.

Ok so I'm just wondering out loud here and I've been mulling over the question, so thought I would ask the powers that be, least this way I can sleep at night rather than dreaming about it lol.

Is it possible to just bolt on a bigger turbo to the 1.6 TDCi engine ? I'm guessing it's not that easy?

I've been reading up and think that a GTB 1449 vz is a direct bolt on but I could be and probably am, wrong lol.

So does anyone know what options are out there for a bolt on upgrade?

I've seen the hybrid ones but they get fetch big money, these GTB ones are like 70 quid on evilbay.

I also read somewhere that a supercharger unit from a mini may bolt on, but again I doubt it's gonna be that easy.

I'm just curious if anyone has the answers to this one.

Oh while I'm here, I also read 330d BMW injectors go in. Does anyone know if these are plug n go out n play kinda mods?

Ta muchly :)

Whatever turbo you fit will need mapping to work, and the VNT mech set up properly to avoid damage.

Hybrid turbo is the only way to ensure a straight fit, that's the point of them.  I don't think any standard turbos are a straight fit, the one you mention has an odd intake bend on the cold side casing so won't be a straight fit.

I haven't heard of the 330D injectors on these engines so can't confirm that.  They should physically fit, but you'd need them coding in and the fuelling map adjusted, definitely not plug & go.

The injectors fit and have been used to get the car to an insane level of power but as tom said, its not just a plug and play solution and there is away to install other turbos but again, as tom said it needs some customisation.

i cant find the forum I saw the build post in but im pretty sure someone when to a crazy amount of effort on the engine, something in the region of 300 bhp.  

But at that point Im sure they had to replace seals, gaskets and even rebored the cylinders and got a custom made clutch. in short there wasn't much left that wasn't changed. 

if my memory serves me correctly he went suspiciously quiet 😄 

• Haha 1

I went through the same thought process recently with mine after a rebuild but came to the conclusion that's its just not worth it! A decent remap will get approx 140HP and, more importantly almost 300NM of torque. The 5 speed boxes are not the greatest and any more power than what a map will get you will likely just introduce reliability issues. If you want to go chasing numbers then you will end up with a decent bill trying to get it to run right IMO....

• Like 2

Damn still not getting email notifications...

Thanks for the input guys that helps me a lot!

See I knew you guys would know what's what lol.

Now if only you could advise me what to do about this lass I'm dating tonight who's late, cos in my book being late, well that's not acceptable lol.

Pleased to get some answers here and now understanding none of that is plug n play and there could be bills or reliability issues, I think a remap is gonna be the way to go.

Thanks a lot fellas. It's back to the drawing board lol.

• Haha 1

I think there are 2 bhp levels of that engine, 90 and 115bhp?  . what you have might affect what extra you can get. eg. if you only have 90 then more scope for more power. And I think the 90bhp has no dpf which is a plus point.

if It were me, (and I did this with my own 1.6 TDCI) id map it up to about 130-140. you wont need any extra parts for this and the saving on those parts could be put to a more useful function, such as 6k services 🙂 

140 in the Mk2 focus is plentiful, if you go much hard you will run in to clutch and gear box problems, imho, if you want more, save yourself some hassle and just get a different car 🙂

as for the girl, hopefully your still not waiting!!

Women like to be late, keeps you on your toes. just as long as shes honest about it all, honesty is the key to success, if you cant tell your partner to F-Off when the need arises and you both move on, then you probably wont last 😄

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, isetta said:

I think there are 2 bhp levels of that engine, 90 and 115bhp?  . what you have might affect what extra you can get. eg. if you only have 90 then more scope for more power. And I think the 90bhp has no dpf which is a plus point.

On the 16v engine the choices are 90bhp or 110bhp in the Focus.  It's the later 8v engine in the Mk3 that comes with 115bhp. 

You are correct about the DPF though, before about 2009 the 90ps model came without a DPF.  However it also comes with a conventional wastegate turbo which reduces driveability a bit compared to the VNT on the 110.  

• Like 1

I'm sure mines a 110bhp version, said it on the as when I bought it.

Bird gave no explanation as to why she was late, so I'll not only be upgrading the car but upgrading her too 🤣

• Haha 1

Dee... When you had yours mapped what benefits did you notice and was it worth doing?

first gear almost became entirely redundant 😄

Serious, you would spend less time in first then it takes to think about changing gear.

3rd gear 2200 to 3500 it would pull like a train, compared to stock it was night and day, absolutely no problems at all with 136 or there about.

my mondy has 164 but due to weight its more or less the same BHP per Kilo as my focus, I suppose the only difference between the two (apart from the mondy not working) is that in 6th gear it would still pull like a train. id typically drop to 4th in the focus (5 speed box to achieve the same result.  

Honestly, its what the focus should have been from day one. 

The only think thats worth keeping in mind is that I may or may not have had an accident with the DPF at the same time, which may or may not have knocked the crap out of it 😄

• Like 1

Blimey how can I not do it now I have read that 😂

well, they say you cant notice any power improvement of less than 10%, so 20% more is not only noticeable but obviously so. 

You will over time forget the difference but 3rd gear is still fun

Something else it has is something I think is called overboost?

Basically, if you plant your foot you will deliver about 1.5 Bar of boost. the maximum the sensor will register. but if you accelerate to about 2000 RPM in thrid, then lift off, then plant it down again very quickly, you will receive a very healthy boost in performance, as measured by my own MAP sensor I installed, it rises up to over 2 Bar (stock MAP sensor registers only 1.5) apparently there is a cool down period where you cant do it again for a few min so its not something you can continuously use. 

On the way to work I always had this routine where id exit this roundabout at about 25, accelerate hard in third up to about 2000ish RPM, lift and boot it again up a long straight hill, no smoke, just a heathy dose of a little more power than normal

just mind who you get the map from, some are more reputable than others.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ThePowster said:

Bird gave no explanation as to why she was late, so I'll not only be upgrading the car but upgrading her too 🤣

Well, my current Mrs was bang on time for our first date and we've been together 30 years now, so maybe there's something in this punctuality lark!😀

• Haha 1

Cheers Dee, great info that :)

lmao Eric, wow 30 years, hat's off to you mate, that's a lengthy stretch that :)

• Haha 1