Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ideas for mods

RhysB)

Any ideas how to spruce this bad boi up? Should I change the colour? Any thoughts would be appreciated. 🙂

AETV77922410_1.jpg

If you don't like the colour, I'd suggest changing the car is the cheaper option. 

There’s a ton of stuff you can do, depends on what you are after - engine mods or appearance. 

If you don’t like the colour then there is no point doing any appearance mods before you change the colour which isn’t going to be cheap, a wrap is your best bet. 

Dont forget to declare any mods to your insurance 

• Like 1

For some semi-functional mods, I'd suggest Wind deflectors, and especially for the summer, a £4 sunstrip from eBay goes a long way for blocking the sun. Both are fairly cheap and take minutes to install.

For some non-functional mods, get some cheap lowering springs, alloys that aren't standard, cheap tyres, K&N Filter, wrap the roof black and wind mirrors black. +40bhp right there. 

In all seriousness, as the others say, if you don't like the colour, you're much better off spending a little time to find the car with the right colour. And have a look at some of the build threads on the forums, as they might be able to give you some ideas.

• Like 1

If a colour change is something you're considering, it'd be worth taking time to find a car with a colour you like from the start. 

Depending on what mods you're after, you could consider a bit of a wildcard option and you could take a look if a Mountune MR165 upgrade would be applicable to your vehicle. If it is, with a stock look but a relatively significant power upgrade, you'd certainly surprise a fair few people 🙂 

• Like 1

Have to disagree with  @I’mAnExpertTrustMe  sorry but ‘cheap tyres’ may as well read ‘ditch finders’. 

You can cheap out on some things, tyres are not one of them. They are the one thing keeping you and the tarmac together. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

Have to disagree with  @I’mAnExpertTrustMe  sorry but ‘cheap tyres’ may as well read ‘ditch finders’. 

You can cheap out on some things, tyres are not one of them. They are the one thing keeping you and the tarmac together. 

Not sure if it was a joke or not, but in case it wasnt, I 100% agree with Jonro2009. I've been in a few scenarios when going into a corner a bit quicker than would have been polite and a decent set of tyres can really save you from a mess if you make a mistake. Then you also have to remember the difference decent tyres make for stopping distances too.  

• Like 1

Be careful if u want a sun strip as if its beyond a certain depth it's a mot fail.. 

Jonro, I think I'manexpert was being sarcastic in his middle sentence..  

If you don't like the colour hold on, find a different car (if you haven't purchased already) that tick's some box's.  Maybe a bit cheaper older that has had some work done? 

Could upgrade the lights to LED. Autobeam do some great bulbs including warranty. Also could look at upgrading to ST brakes. I noticed a difference in braking after installing ST front and rear brakes on mine. 

• Like 1

I did think he may have been joking after I wrote it but I thought ‘I’ve written it now so I’m posting it’ lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Apologies guys, should have made it more clear that middle line was a joke. Appreciate it's harder to tell with text. With any of that, I'd recommend getting quality fitting alloys that are tried and tested, high quality wheels (Especially with more performance under the bonnet) and quality springs and not ones that just have the ends grinded off. Was just a little joke at the "Here's my Ford build, my wing mirrors are black now, okay that's it guys, enjoy #builtnotbought"  

I made sure my sunstrip is above the wiper arms, only roughly 10-12cm~ down which I believe is within the legal limit. Driving south on the Motorway for 40 minutes in a pain everyday when I had to keep moving the visor. Sunstrip is probably my favourite mod I've done.

• Like 1

You could paint the wheels black and buy the ST rear spoiler which will give the car a better stance than the regular Zetec even on its standard suspension.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2019 at 4:58 PM, I'mAnExpertTrustMe said:

Apologies guys, should have made it more clear that middle line was a joke. Appreciate it's harder to tell with text. With any of that, I'd recommend getting quality fitting alloys that are tried and tested, high quality wheels (Especially with more performance under the bonnet) and quality springs and not ones that just have the ends grinded off. Was just a little joke at the "Here's my Ford build, my wing mirrors are black now, okay that's it guys, enjoy #builtnotbought"  

I made sure my sunstrip is above the wiper arms, only roughly 10-12cm~ down which I believe is within the legal limit. Driving south on the Motorway for 40 minutes in a pain everyday when I had to keep moving the visor. Sunstrip is probably my favourite mod I've done.

I think I maybe jumped the gun a bit, reading back it's pretty clear you were joking, my bad. 

I may need to look into a sunstrip but will need to check it doesn't foul my dash cam, I don't fancy moving it.

My dashcam is currently positioned to the left of the rear view mirror so that I hardly see it. Don't think the sunstrip comes close to blocking it. 

Another functional mod for Rhys is to block that void by the handbrake. One second you're happy, the next all your life's savings fall down into it. (Also filling in that dust-collecting box below the heat controls is satisfying) 

And not really a mod, but check you have a spare tyre. Previous owner of mine decided to sell anything that wasn't bolted down, but always best to have something on-hand in a worst case scenario. That being said, a first aid kit as well. Don't see it talked about much, but for peace of mind it's a great thing to have, and straps into the boot nicely. 

• Like 2

How about a glass's stowage. I got this one from a scrap Mondeo with the same colour trim. If you do, make sure you get the metal reinforcing ring. Use it to mark out where to cut. I had to modify the attaching legs by cutting them off and repositioning them and bonding into position. The interior light and Mic where a straight swap. As mine is keyless I had to reposition a receiver a couple of inches towards the driver side. It cost £5.

P1030758.JPG

P1030760.JPG

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cragrat said:

How about a glass's stowage. I got this one from a scrap Mondeo with the same colour trim. If you do, make sure you get the metal reinforcing ring. Use it to mark out where to cut. I had to modify the attaching legs by cutting them off and repositioning them and bonding into position. The interior light and Mic where a straight swap. As mine is keyless I had to reposition a receiver a couple of inches towards the driver side. It cost £5.

P1030758.JPG

P1030760.JPG

that's a good cheap mod 😊

Hi DezWez,

I see you have a Focus. I did the same to my 59 plate Focus a few tears ago.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for your replies guys appreciate it. Didn't realise or expect any comments back so that's why i'm a bit late.

I have started wrapping the shiny trim black, but would wrapping small parts like the mirrors need to be declared to insurance and 'i'm an expert' said about filling the voids by the handbrake where would you find those fillers to?

And bjt mentioned painting the wheels would it be best with spray paint would it stick?

On 2/5/2019 at 6:53 PM, RhysB) said:

thanks for your replies guys appreciate it. Didn't realise or expect any comments back so that's why i'm a bit late.

I have started wrapping the shiny trim black, but would wrapping small parts like the mirrors need to be declared to insurance and 'i'm an expert' said about filling the voids by the handbrake where would you find those fillers to?

And bjt mentioned painting the wheels would it be best with spray paint would it stick?

I used spray paint on mine and it has stuck nicely and I have had it on them for just under a year and travel long distances every day. Another way which would be power coating which will look even better but is far more expensive.

• Like 1

thanks for the advice bjt probably go for the spray tbh see what the insurance will be on it

Hi,

If you need any help with insurance at all for modifications then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

• 1 month later...
On 2/14/2019 at 8:46 PM, RhysB) said:

thanks for the advice bjt probably go for the spray tbh see what the insurance will be on it

Would you have to go through the insurance with that I havnt told mine and was involved in an accident (not my fault) and the insurance didn’t invalidate. It went to the workshop and they even touched up the scuffs 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club