Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Deactivating passanger airbag

simon7800

Hi, i have just bought a 2005 2.0 tdci titanium focus and was wondering if anyone knows how to deactivate the passanger airbag. I have looked through the manual but to no avail, all i can find is something about there being a switch in glovebox or a button in centre console near heated window button is, i dont appear to have either.

Thanks

Simon

Hi mate you have to have the PAD switch fitted by a ford dealer, ring one and get them to quote you ref TSB 89/2004

Ah right, thanks mate. Any idea on what sort of price i would be looking at?

• 7 years later...

I wonder if i buy the passenger airbag deactivation switch (used) is going to work or have to be a new one to fit with my car key?Of course i buy also the switch at the surround trim panel ,i have the cables there and behind the glove compartment.After that i need to activating something with the elm 327?Where  can i find how to do that ?

s-l500.jpg

Any key fits the switch, so a used one is fine

• Like 2

you must tell you're insurance many ford dealers will not do deactivation now as its a safety feature if you deactivate It without informing you're insurance and an accident occurs you're insurance I nil and void

• Like 1

some dealers do do it but you will sign a ford preprinted disclaimer form

"Explain the use of the PAD switch to the customer making reference to the relevant section in the Owner Guide.Enter the relevant information into the service History Log.Complete the Declaration form with the customer, photocopy it and give the original to the customer. The photocopy must be retained by the dealership for 10 years under the EU consumer protection legislation.

NOTE: TO CUSTOMER: Some insurance companies may require to be notified of any changes affecting the restraints system on your vehicle - please check with your insurance provider.

The operation and function of the switch has been fully explained to the customer.I agree that I have requested the installation of a passenger air bag deactivation switch from the above-mentioned date. The operation and function of the switch has been fully explained. In the event of selling the vehicle, I agree to either inform the purchaser of the PAD switch installation or have the vehicle returned to its original specification.Signature:

• Like 1

some do many wont entertain it up my way as I thought about it but the minute you mention it they just say no I was shown the form do contacted my insurance who stated they wouldn't cover me without a fully detailed sheet from the ford tech explaining exactly what the switch did and a copy of the above waver

quite a few vehicles now have them as standard fit from factory

It always used to be standard fit, pretty sure most of my cars have had it!  Not checked the Focus though, I take it you're no longer allowed to put babies in the front?

It always used to be standard fit, pretty sure most of my cars have had it!  Not checked the Focus though, I take it you're no longer allowed to put babies in the front?

not in the drivers seat! lol

• Like 1

not anymore actually quite a lot of newer cars don't have the option standard or not you must still inform them if you deactivate It on a vehicle I was told if its a standard fit on the vehicle and you switch it off you bill you're insurance it seems to be a grey area on insurance just like if you car share now many companies class this paid or not as a taxi since you're not insured as such you're insurance again is nil and void

I think it varied, my 06 plate GP had a setting in the menu to turn it off. I didn't know you'd have to advise insurance though

Most new fords have the activation switch and display as standard, inc ka, s max, galaxy, mondeo, ranger.