Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HDI Tuning 1.6 TDCi 110 to 143bhp. Worth it?

ThePowster

Hey guys I just wanted to ask what peeps view was of HDI Tuning and if anyone had used them?

I can't justify 300 smackeroonies for a bluefin especially when there is only a 20bhp increase, but this company is offering 34bhp for 150 quid with an ECU remap.

https://www.hdi-tuning.co.uk/ecu-remapping/custom-remaps/ford-tuning/focus-1600-TDCI/focus-tuning-1-6-110-TDCI.html

For the money I haven't seen anything like it. I thought I would ask the oracles before I bang this on a credit card 😃

On 1/20/2019 at 7:31 PM, ThePowster said:

Hey guys I just wanted to ask what peeps view was of HDI Tuning and if anyone had used them?

I can't justify 300 smackeroonies for a bluefin especially when there is only a 20bhp increase, but this company is offering 34bhp for 150 quid with an ECU remap.

https://www.hdi-tuning.co.uk/ecu-remapping/custom-remaps/ford-tuning/focus-1600-TDCI/focus-tuning-1-6-110-TDCI.html

For the money I haven't seen anything like it. I thought I would ask the oracles before I bang this on a credit card 😃

Im not an oracle of this site

So i say do it..

Well that's kinda my thoughts too, and, I've happened to source a straight though bypass dpf pipe for £235 delivered.

I'd just have to swop back once a year for the mot.

So I could get the bypass pipe and remap with DPF delete for around 400 quid all in.

I think for reliability and cleaner oil it's worth the investment, just not sure if it's gonna chuck black smoke out when ya boot it, as they say, no smoke, no poke lol.

I drive like a lady a lot of the times to be fair but I'd just like to make it ultra reliable and not have the headache that dpf's bring.

Still mulling over it lol.

You might want to get in touch with Avon Tuning https://www.avontuning.co.uk/ for a second opinion, located just next door to HDI.  I used them a few years ago to do exactly what you are describing, but without needing a DPF bypass pipe and would wholeheartedly recommend them.  I didn't know about HDI at the time so didn't get a comparison.  Would be good to get your thoughts if you follow it up.

• Thanks 1

just mind they are paying more attention to the DPF these days. passing the MOT doesn't make it legal, it just means to fooled them, get pulled over and.... all bets are off.

Not saying dont, just saying, be very clear with what your doing. 

The increased attention to the DPF is why I got rid of mine, that turned out to be a mistake of sorts. by you live and learn 

• Thanks 1

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 7:31 PM, ThePowster said:

I had a 140bhp HDI-Tuning map on the 110 Focus for 3 years or so, engine is still going strong now with it's new owner...  Mine was probably the first Focus to have it done, though he'd done loads on the almost identical Peugeot engines.

I had previously used his remaps on Peugeot 306 HDi's back in about 2012 with no issues.

Main reason for having mine done was to remove the DPF (oh no... 😮 ) which wasn't quite as frowned upon then as it is now lol, I only chose the extra power so I'd have something to show for the £150, but I specifically asked for a safe map so as not to risk the clutch etc...  Having had considerably more powerful diesels before that, I was a bit disappointed with the torque personally, but that's the trouble with small capacity engines, cheap clutches and unreliable turbos.  I never did have any turbo or injector issues on my 1.6TDCI though, all the issues I had were caused by the DPF, once that was gone the engine was totally reliable tbf.

I wouldn't even consider a DPF delete these days with the legal implications as well as MOT & VOSA checks but of course that's my opinion and others will vary.

So in short, yes HDI-Tuning are a good company and get good results but personally I don't find a stage1 on the 1.6TDCi enough to justify the cost of the map.  It's all down to personal preference and experience I guess. :smile: 

• Thanks 1

Morning chaps.

Wow so much information and wisdom here, this great.

Thanks South_Bound for the link, I hadn't seen that site before and pleased to hear they get a good recommendation.

This is a link to the pipe I found. You may need to put it in Chrome browser and auto translate:

https://www.kijiji.it/annunci/ricambi-e-accessori/roma-annunci-roma/tubo-rimozione-filtro-antiparticolato-dpf-fap-ford-focus-1/41838517

Hmm I hear ya Dee, my car actually runs really nice at the moment, maybe am being greedy 😂 maybe if it ain't broke kinda don't mess with it, I am considering all options.

Thanks Tom, just as I am thinking of being a good lad I then read that the DPF removal is problematic and removal cures all so now I'm back to a delete again lol. Ah then the kicker is the map doesn't offer that much, again great info, I was expecting a fire breathing Dodge Viper slaying beast once it was chipped lol.

Gawd what to do.. I guess what someone else said other day makes sense. If you wanted a fast car you should have got a fast car to begin with.

Thing is mine runs sweet, with the air box lid off it makes all kinds of wonderful chirps n tweets and it just drives so nice that I want it to stay that way so figured I'd take steps to future proof myself as its got 118k on the clock now.

That being said, with the legalities now, the moral compass of doing such a thing and the cost, makes ya wonder if I shouldn't just take it for a clear out once a week instead.

I'll sleep on it, thank's so much guys because I was so close last night to ordering that dpf delete pipe and at least now I have some information to consider my next move.

👍👍👍  

The reason for my DPF problems was (and still is!) short, cold journeys, it meant the DPF kept filling up quickly and trying to regen very frequently, this caused the glowplugs and EGR problems, and kept diluting the oil with diesel due to failing regens...  If you use yours 'properly' for a regular motorway commute or similar, it should be fine.  You should have the coated DPF on a 2009 model, where I had the less efficient additive type DPF on a 2008 - had I known that when buying, I'd have waited for a later one!

I have since owned a Mk3 Focus and a Mk6 Golf, both with the later style coated DPF, and while short journeys are still causing me DPF issues and frequent regens, its nowhere near as bad as it was with the MK2 additive DPF.  I really wouldn't risk the DPF delete these days which is the main reason why I changed from the Mk2 to these cars, and am in the process of finding a low running cost petrol due to my driving requirements not matching those of a modern diesel.  If you can find a mapper willing to do you a simple stage 1 with DPF & EGR still on and aren't expecting too much from a simple map on this engine, that might be the way to go for you. :smile: 

Cheers Tom, lots of great info there for me to deliberate.

Much appreciated 👍