Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Petrol Filling Problem

Aldmi

For the last few weeks, I've had a problem where when I am filling up with petrol the pump constantly 'clicks' as if the tank is full when it isn't.

I've been to a few different places and it still does it and spent ages holding it at different angles but it still does it. If I don't hold the pump the whole way it does fill up albeit takes longer and guessing when it is full so it doesn't overflow.

I have noticed that when it is filling up it almost sounds like the fuel is coming back up if that makes sense

Don't hold it at any angle it's designed to be straight. Any angle will touch the sides resulting in a click. Also It could well be full but your gauge is faulty. You can try using an easy fill nossle that is used to fill up with petrol cans to try and purge some air out.

I occasionally have this problem with my Mk3 and also find it doesn't make any difference which way the nozzle is inserted. I've come to the conclusion it's related to how quickly the pump is set up to dispense the fuel.

11 hours ago, Aldmi said:

For the last few weeks, I've had a problem where when I am filling up with petrol the pump constantly 'clicks' as if the tank is full when it isn't.

I've been to a few different places and it still does it and spent ages holding it at different angles but it still does it. If I don't hold the pump the whole way it does fill up albeit takes longer and guessing when it is full so it doesn't overflow.

I have noticed that when it is filling up it almost sounds like the fuel is coming back up if that makes sense

This sounds a bit obvious, but have you tried just not filling up so fast?  

12 hours ago, mjt said:

I occasionally have this problem with my Mk3 and also find it doesn't make any difference which way the nozzle is inserted. I've come to the conclusion it's related to how quickly the pump is set up to dispense the fuel.

I also found this with the Mk3, Sainsburys pumps in particular seem to shoot the fuel out at such a speed it would immediately click off at full squeeze.  Never had the same happen there with the Mk2 though!  Also found the same happened with BP Ultimate the one time I tried that.  Used standard BP every month without issue though.  Only thing you can do in that situation is hold the trigger about half way.

• Like 2

Had this a few times and found not pushing the hose fully ‘home’ & depressing the trigger halfway helps. Just watch because if you overfill the tank it tends to run out the breather pipe over your wheel !

1 hour ago, Russ said:

Had this a few times and found not pushing the hose fully ‘home’ & depressing the trigger halfway helps. Just watch because if you overfill the tank it tends to run out the breather pipe over your wheel !

That's what I have resorted to, I'll just carry on doing that

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club